Newbie seeking advice

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by industrialstr, Nov 24, 2003.

1. industrialstr

industrialstr New Member

I'm just looking to get into biking and had a few questions about a bike I saw on Ebay .. and bikes in general.

I had friends in college who swore by Kona bikes.. and they seem to be well received... We don't have a Kona dealer anywhere near here so I'd be interested in opinions from ye experts.

I'm 6'2" and weigh about 215 lbs. I am interested primarily in a bike I can use on roads/light trails - but one that can take light offroad use (or easily be upgraded to).

I spotted an *old* M700 Cannondale on ebay that seemed a decent price (~ 280 so far) but it would require some updating. I believe it is 21" - it's owner is my height.

Anyway.. I'm rambling. I used to have a bit of info in my noggin about bikes but those years are long gone (though the shimano parts seem to have kept the same names). I have no experience with Cannondales - but would not mind buying the old M700 if it's a decent starter.

Otherwise I could probably spend up to ~600-700 on another bike (Kona?) as my first purchase... upgrading as needed should my interest stick. I am also weary of buying a bike sight unseen.. but would rather not travel 3-4 hours to the nearest Kona dealer.

All suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Tags:

2. mtblvr

mtblvr New Member

Be very carefull with a used Cdale, the frames are notorious for cracking, I have heard of tons of them having cracks near the welds, they grind the welds down and put a thick coat of paint over them to get that smooth look at the joints, but it makes it almost impossible to finx a crack until you have a major failure. I would especially stay away from an OLD Cdale.

3. ireman_1

ireman_1 New Member

As mentioned earlier C'dale's problems with welds is well documented. I'd feel comfortable with a "really" old one (prior to the financial crap going down and major sponsorship deals) from say '93 or older. Those frames seem to hold up better, but are out-dated as hell if you want discs, etc. The would do what you are looking for though.

Kona bikes are OK (better when you consider the price). Some brands that may not get a lot of stares for you when you are riding (the "sexy" factor or lust is not there and they typically make affordable lines), but will likely treat you fine are: Kona, Norco, Giant, and Haro.

None of those are going to be high-zoot or fancy, but they should treat you well and be able to handle upgrades. Have fun!\

K.