newbie shifting problem

Channeldave

Jun 24, 2010
Hey all, My first time posting. I got back into cycling recently, just had my bike tuned up and got a new chain, chain ring, cassette and shift cables.
I put my bike on my trainer last night and had a problem shifting to the large chain ring (front) from the middle one. There are 3 chain rings and 7 gears on the cassette. This is a gear or two more than I had on the old cassette.
When I tried to shift from the middle chain ring to the largest one it was very clunky and sometimes took a few tries and was also noisy.
I'm wondering if I am shifting wrong or if I just shouldn't use this gear on the trainer?
I'd rather not take it all the was back to the shop if I don't have to.

the bike is a 1995 1220 Trek

thanks!

The 3 chain rings you are referring to are the Crank. I have a similar set-up on my 2005 Scattante. As long as you have a front derailer that is made for a 3-ring crank, the derailer should work fine. Sometimes you need to hit the shift lever again in the direction of the large crank ring to push the front derailer a little farther out. Give it a try. If that fails, then the front derailer may not have the proper positioning. If that is the case, you can try to adjust it yourself (need an allen wrench) or have your bike shop do it. Hope that helps.

The front derailleur is not set up properly. Take it back to the shop to get it fixed.

If you try it yourself you will need more than just one allen key to get it right. You should also be armed with knowledge of what you need to to. Read up on the Park tools website or in a book like "Zinn and the art..." by Lenard Zinn

Did you get a new cassette that has a larger cog on it than what your old one had on it? And are you trying to shift with the chain on the large cog on your cassette? If so, it may be that your chain is too short to make the shift. Try shifting with your chain on one of the smallest cogs and it may shift more smoothly.

Channeldave said:
I got back into cycling recently, just had my bike tuned up and got a new chain, chain ring, cassette and shift cables.
I put my bike on my trainer last night and had a problem shifting to the large chain ring (front) from the middle one. There are 3 chain rings and 7 gears on the cassette. This is a gear or two more than I had on the old cassette.
When I tried to shift from the middle chain ring to the largest one it was very clunky and sometimes took a few tries and was also noisy.
I'm wondering if I am shifting wrong or if I just shouldn't use this gear on the trainer?
I'd rather not take it all the was back to the shop if I don't have to.

the bike is a 1995 1220 Trek
I would bet the shop put an HG53, or equally narrow 9-speed, chain on your bike ...

If so, then you need to bring the bike back and have them put an 8-speed chain on the bike.

If you paid the bike shop to do the work, then you should take it back to them to get it corrected.

64Paramount said:
If you paid the bike shop to do the work, then you should take it back to them to get it corrected.

this is very true. but since id probably be too lazy to go back for something so minor since my lbs is 40 min away . look on you tube for how to make the adjustments, it takes a minute to find a good instructional video and another minute to make your adjustments,