NEWBIE- Shimmy Question?

mseanschmidt

Aug 24, 2006
I had a defective front carbon wheel that shimmied and was just replaced by the manufacturer. I rode on the defective wheel for several weeks while the shimmy was properly diagnosed and then while the replacement wheel was shipped.

Here is my problem: I have the NEW wheel on and the first ride was solid. The last few rides I've noticed the front wheel moves around a good bit going over old roads or bumpy sections. While looking at the front tire it moves up & down and side to side slightly. The bike is rock solid and I can descend at 30mph + with no hands. I'm just perplexed with the movement. It seems to be worse if I'm holding with one hand?

I'm wondering if it is all in my head. I never remember watching my front wheel only the road in front of me. But after the defective wheel, I think I'm looking at the front wheel a lot and now wondering... is anything wrong with this one???

As a NEWBIE, a lot of times I don't know what is normal and what is not. (Took a while to verify I actually had a shimmy). So, when you ride over rough roads, does your front wheel move up & down and side to side?

Remember, the hub is fine with no play and the wheel is solidly seated in the forks. Handlebars, headset, ect... are all fine.

Hope this doesn't sound like a crazy question! Any input would be greatly appreciated!

After re-reading your post.....it is normal for that movement, in general.