Newbie: Should I get a new bike?

Discussion in 'Women's Cycling' started by Renae, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Renae

Renae New Member

I am currently riding a mountain bike. It is a pretty good fit for me and everything, and I recently put new tires on instead of the regular mountain bike tires. I just sold some furniture, so got $650 from that. Would that be enough to get a decent road bike? (my choices are either buying a new bike or putting the money towards a laptop computer...tough decision for me!).
    I live in a large city, so there are plenty of bike lanes...but there are crazy drivers out here so it makes it kind of scary (have been nearly hit about 3 times--2 of which I was just going for a leisurely bike ride and was in the cross walk at those times)--and I haven't really been riding that long! So, I am kind of hesitant to spend the money on a road bike. Some people tell me to just get a new mountain bike instead and put slicks on it.
    Any suggestions? Thanks!

Tags:

2. granularus

granularus New Member

A good road bike would make for a very different ride - you might be able to get a close out. It's not just the tires, you'll have different gears and probably bigger wheels. I'd suggest borrowing one and seeing if you like it.

You mention that you were almost hit in a crosswalk - that might be the problem - I find it safer to ride my bike as a vehicle in the road. If you are riding a bike across a crosswalk you are a vehicle - in many states the law is that cars must yield to pedestrians in crosswalks. It you are riding, you are not a pedestrian. Now off course they shouldn't be trying to hit you - but if you switch between being a pedstrian and a cyclist, you can trigger confusion or road rage. If you want respect practice vehicular riding.

3. tjocesq

tjocesq New Member

good idea to see if you can borrow a road bike to see how it feels. there are decent road bikes in the $600.00 range. Specialized, Felt and Raleigh give a decent "bang for your buck" and closeouts are excellant!
    I find my road bike 'less cumbersome' and more responsive than slicks on a mountain bike. The wheels are larger (700 v. the 26inch wheel on mtn bike), different gearing.
    Also, hit a few different bike shops in your area and price things out. They may even have rides going out of the shop where more experienced riders can teach you "the rules of the road" and offer their experiences.

Re: almost getting hit--sorry you had that experience! The city I live in is not the most 'bike friendly' despite the bike lanes--but, as the other writer said, I follow the same laws as drivers. Most states do treat bicycles as motor vehicles. I don't walk my bike across pedi walks. instead, I follow the flow of traffic. If I am making a left turn, I get into the left lane--the cars have no choice but to see me and treat me accordingly. In traffic I am going about the same speed as the cars.
    A good book to read is "Urban Tips for Bicyclists" (I think that's the name of the book--can't remember). This book can be found in most local bike shops.