Newbie swim cap question

Luna

Guest
Hi, new here. I just joined my local YMCA and I'd like to add swimming to my fitness regimen. I
already know how to swim, but the problem is I don't want to get my hair wet (it's color-treated),
so I bought a swim cap. It's a latex one made by Tyr. I just tried it on and it is dang
uncomfortable, I feel like my head is in a vice. Is it supposed to feel like that? Or am I wearing
it wrong? Are other brands more comfortable? Could I wear a shower cap instead, or would that just
fall off? Thanks in advance for any advice!

--
Michelle Levin http://www.mindspring.com/~lunachick

I have only 3 flaws. My first flaw is thinking that I only have 3 flaws.

Try a silicone rubber cap.

"Luna" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:lunachick-
[email protected]...
> Hi, new here. I just joined my local YMCA and I'd like to add swimming to my fitness regimen. I
> already know how to swim, but the problem is I
don't
> want to get my hair wet (it's color-treated), so I bought a swim cap.
It's
> a latex one made by Tyr. I just tried it on and it is dang uncomfortable, I feel like my head is
> in a vice. Is it supposed to feel like that? Or
am
> I wearing it wrong? Are other brands more comfortable? Could I wear a shower cap instead, or would
> that just fall off? Thanks in advance for
any
> advice!
>
> --
> Michelle Levin http://www.mindspring.com/~lunachick
>
> I have only 3 flaws. My first flaw is thinking that I only have 3 flaws.

Okeydoke! Thanks! I remember they had those, I just didn't get one because they were more expensive.
I guess you get what you pay for, huh?

--
Michelle Levin http://www.mindspring.com/~lunachick

I have only 3 flaws. My first flaw is thinking that I only have 3 flaws.

"Luna" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Okeydoke! Thanks! I remember they had those, I just didn't get one
because
> they were more expensive. I guess you get what you pay for, huh?

More expensive, but they don't grab the hair like latex. My daughter's team had the latex last year
and kids all hated them and used silicone in practice...team cap is now silicone.

> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Count Scrofula" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Try a silicone rubber cap.
> >

> > "Luna" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:lunachick-
> > [email protected]...
> > > Hi, new here. I just joined my local YMCA and I'd like to add swimming
> > > my fitness regimen. I already know how to swim, but the problem is I
> > don't
> > > want to get my hair wet (it's color-treated), so I bought a swim cap.
> > It's
> > > a latex one made by Tyr. I just tried it on and it is dang
uncomfortable,
> > > I feel like my head is in a vice. Is it supposed to feel like that?
Or
> > am
> > > I wearing it wrong? Are other brands more comfortable? Could I wear
> > > shower cap instead, or would that just fall off? Thanks in advance
for
> > any
> > > advice!
> > >

> --
> Michelle Levin http://www.mindspring.com/~lunachick
>
> I have only 3 flaws. My first flaw is thinking that I only have 3 flaws.

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 03:30:13 GMT, Luna <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Hi, new here. I just joined my local YMCA and I'd like to add swimming to my fitness regimen. I
> already know how to swim, but the problem is I don't want to get my hair wet (it's color-treated),
> so I bought a swim cap. It's a latex one made by Tyr. I just tried it on and it is dang
> uncomfortable, I feel like my head is in a vice. Is it supposed to feel like that? Or am I wearing
> it wrong? Are other brands more comfortable? Could I wear a shower cap instead, or would that just
> fall off? Thanks in advance for any advice!

You can use a shower cap if you will just be swimming heads up breaststroke, but if you want to get
some real exercise, you will need to put your head down and swim. And then, if you really want the
cap to keep your hair dry, it will pretty much have to fit like vice. But you will have to wash your
hair anyway or it will smell like latex and be all smashed down. I don't know if there is a good
solution to your problem other than not coloring your hair.

martin

--
If you are a US citizen, please use your constitutional right to vote, because we badly need a new
president.

> > Hi, new here. I just joined my local YMCA and I'd like to add swimming
> > my fitness regimen. I already know how to swim, but the problem is I don't want to get my hair
> > wet (it's color-treated), so I bought a swim cap. It's a latex one made by Tyr. I just tried it
> > on and it is dang uncomfortable, I feel like my head is in a vice. Is it supposed to feel like
> > that? Or am I wearing it wrong? Are other brands more comfortable? Could I wear a shower cap
> > instead, or would that just fall off? Thanks in advance for any advice!
>
> You can use a shower cap if you will just be swimming heads up breaststroke, but if you want to
> get some real exercise, you will need to put your head down and swim. And then, if you really want
> the cap to keep your hair dry, it will pretty much have to fit like vice. But you will have to
> wash your hair anyway or it will smell like latex and be all smashed down. I don't know if there
> is a good solution to your problem other than not coloring your hair.
>
> martin

I think you two mean it will "fit like a vise." Although the image of "fitting like vice" is
interesting....

Pat in TX

Luna <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi, new here. I just joined my local YMCA and I'd like to add swimming to my fitness regimen. I
> already know how to swim, but the problem is I don't want to get my hair wet (it's color-treated),
> so I bought a swim cap. It's a latex one made by Tyr. I just tried it on and it is dang
> uncomfortable, I feel like my head is in a vice. Is it supposed to feel like that? Or am I wearing
> it wrong? Are other brands more comfortable? Could I wear a shower cap instead, or would that just
> fall off? Thanks in advance for any advice!

The silicon caps are a bit smaller then the latex. Its often said that the latex caps pull hair most
do. The bubble style latex caps don't They are easy to slip on and come in real head sizes small med
large. As the guide states a waterproof cap thats not tight does not exist, However you can wet your
hair and apply conditioner and then slip on a comfortable size bubble cap that will keep the
conditioner in, prevent the water from washing all over your hair, and make it harder for your hair
to absorb the chlorine which equals no damage from the pool! If the Tyr cap was too tight try a size
large bubble cap or a standard size Speedo Bubble cap (The Standard Speedo Bubble cap is large)

See the Swim Cap Guide

http://www.geocities.com/lapswimr/scg.html

>smashed down. I don't know if there is a good solution to your problem other than not coloring
>your hair.

Hmm, if you swim enough, the chlorine will colour your hair for you. Wasn't there a discussion here
some time back about this? Blonde hair turns greenish, black hair turns red/brown, etc...

In <[email protected]> G wrote:

> Hmm, if you swim enough, the chlorine will colour your hair for you. Wasn't there a discussion
> here some time back about this? Blonde hair turns greenish, black hair turns red/brown, etc...

I remember that. Someone eventually showed that the green color was really due to copper sulfate
algaecide in the water, not the chlorine. In turn, the copper normally wouldn't be a problem unless
there's also a pH problem.

Ross