Triathlon · Public discussion

Newbie swim journal: week 6

Started by Ffbsensei · · Last activity · 2 posts · 1,204 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Triathlon
Published
10 July 2004
Last activity
11 July 2004
Original author
Ffbsensei
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,204
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Well, the last couple of weeks have sort of been lost for
    me. My family went on vacation and then this past week, I
    was only able to get into the pool once. I got into a car
    accident earlier in the week and that held up my training
    for a bit...nothing serious, but just one of those annoying
    accidents resulting in a stiff neck and back.

    Finally got into the pool yesterday, even with my stiff
    neck. The swimming actually seemed to help me loosen it up a
    bit. Even after not being in a pool for a couple of weeks, I
    was able to swim for about 45 minutes. I did some interval
    training - fast 100's, followed by some slow 100's.

    Mainly focusing again on keeping my head down, and trying
    to keep the separation to a minimum between my head and
    left arm when I breathe. I know I should be trying to
    work on breathing every 3 strokes and alternating sides
    on my breaths...but for some reason, I just find it
    difficult to do.

    After about 10 minutes of warmups and intervals, I swam the
    400 yard distance of the upcoming sprint triathlon. I went
    from 10:50 to 10:30 a few weeks ago. I was able to swim the
    16 lengths in about
    10:10...and while still slow, it felt good to shave off 20
    seconds off my previous time. Again, I haven't really
    been focusing on speed, but more technique and form.

    I also tried to concentrate on my kicking, because its the
    oddest thing really. As I am breathing, I find that my legs
    stop kicking causing me to sink. So i have this sort of
    bobbing action going on.

    My average stroke count is about 20-21 - about a stroke or 2
    less than a few weeks ago. I was watching this one swimmer
    next to me, he was averaging about 31 strokes per length - I
    got tired just watching him!

    I found it interesting watching the other swimmers, a
    range from very competent to not very good. I think I'll
    take my camcorder and tripod out next time... I think it
    would be interesting to see how I look as I concentrate on
    different aspects.

    In my effort to press the T, I found i started just putting
    my head WAY down...i think that was a bit extreme. Altho, I
    did notice when I made a concerted effort to keep my head
    down, my feet would break the surface on my kicks.

    My question is how do I improve on my propulsion to increase
    my speed. I think right now my time for a 100 is averaging
    about 2:30. One of the posters said I should be around 1:30.
    Besides interval training, how else can I improve my speed?

    Thanks for reading as my saga continues!

  2. Focus on form. Take a Masters swim class if there is one in the area. I bet through form improvements, you can improve.

    I was at 18:45 for 400 start of the year. Last Tuesday I did 8:20 (TWICE) and the 10:10 in an "easy" swim. It was amazing, I shaved a whole 65 seconds from my prior speed test.

    I think for me, one of the main things was simply REACHING as far as a I can then making sure I don't cross the middle plane as I bring my stroke through (i.e. left hand doesn't cross to the RIGHT of the imaginary center line).

    Also, reading through your comments, keeping your head DOWN (try pushing your CHEST down the head has to follow...) and keep kicking. Doesn't have to be hard or fast or tiring, just keep those legs moving and it will keep you from sinking.

    Good job and keep up the good work!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.