Newbie to clipless pedals...need a little help. Please!

RoadScholar

Apr 12, 2004
So I've had my beautiful trek 2300 for a while now, but I have been using cheesy platforms instead of clipless pedals, which were recommended. Finally, yesterday I decided to go clipless and I got LOOK clipless pedals. I love the feeling I get when I'm clipped in, but getting clipped in and out seems SO HARD! I must have fallen about 4 times, and my hips and knees have the bruises and scratches to prove it. Anyone have tips that might make it a little easier? I'd like to focus on starting a nice bike training program and not fall on my face every time I clip in and out.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I have adjusted the release mechanism to make the pedals easier, pressure-wise, to get into and out of. It wasn't the problem... :confused:

When going clipless, it's not a matter of "if" you fall, it's a matter of "when", so don't worry about those past falls. My technique is to mentally prepare for my stops. When I know I'm going to stopping soon, I tell my self to slow down and then when I'm about 10 feet from my stopping point I clip out on one side and then, again, mentally tell myself to lean that way when I come to the complete stop.

When clipping in...I stand over my bike clip in on one side. I then pull that clipped in foot up so I can get a reallly good push off and have some momentum while I clip in on the other side.

I am sure everyone does it differently but that's what works for me. It just takes time but you'll get it. Good luck!

Typically what I do is when I am anticipating stopping (either at a light/sign or something else you can see ahead) I click one foot out (I use my left) sideways but not lifting off the pedal...this way if I end up not having to stop I can just click it back in and my food has never left the pedal.

I agree ,everyone seems to do it a bit different...I'm left handed and always lead off with my right foot clipped in and then click my left foot in one I have started pedaling.

So far I've not had any nasty spills...I prepared for them but just am on the over cautious side I guess and am ready to pull that foot out asap! Of course, unplanned quick stops (ie careless drivers) will change everything in a hurry! :rolleyes:

I use Look pedals and would agree with the previous info. I would suggest riding a short practice route where you cilp in and out mabe 30 of 40 times just to condition yourself until it become automatic. Then when you are on a training ride you won't even have to think about it. In other words practice in a controlled environment

When clipping out, I think you have to knida lead with your heel first, it's not the most natural feeling, but when you get the swing of it, then it becomes fairly easy.

Originally posted by benZine
When clipping out, I think you have to knida lead with your heel first, it's not the most natural feeling, but when you get the swing of it, then it becomes fairly easy.

i agree... one of the things that helped me the most when learning to use clipless pedals was the concept of using your heel to disengage your feet from the pedals!!

I have the Shimano PD R600's...they're the new "walkable" cleats. And I am still having trouble getting in and out after a couple of months. They're as loose as they'll go, so the lbs owner says. Being terrified of wrecking while clipping in and out has slowed my speed waaaaaaay down on rides. And, I ride alone so I can concentrate of getting in and out. I have to jerk the left foot hard to the left to get it to clip out which makes the bike jerk, which makes me fall! No fun........

But, they tell me to keep trying and I'll get the hang of it!

I have look and spd pedals, used both for years (10+ with the look). I was chatting to a non-cycling friend the other day, on my bike having just finished a ride, leaning against my garage wall, both feet clipped in. I leant away from the wall slightly and next thing, I'm lying on the ground, both feet still clipped.

He thought it hilarious.

You just get used to it, like you did when you learned to walk as a child. But even as an adult, you still stumble from time to time.

The only serious advice I have is that, to unclip, I push my heel inwards, towards where the bottle cage is with the pedal in the 12 o'clock position. I have bad knees and clipping outwards causes some slight pain. You may prefer it, most don't.

F.

Originally posted by Fruitbat
... The only serious advice I have is that, to unclip, I push my heel inwards, towards where the bottle cage is with the pedal in the 12 o'clock position. I have bad knees and clipping outwards causes some slight pain. You may prefer it, most don't...
I also kick in. It seems to work best for me as well.

RoadScholar,

Don't worry about falling down a few times. I still do it every now and again. The last time was when I had just brought home my new '04 Specialized Sequoia Elite. I was so anxious to take it out for a spin I didn't adjust the SPD pedal tension. During the ride I pulled up to a stop sign and couldn't unclip fast enough and fell right over on my bum right in front of a car full of kids on their way home from grade school! :mad: They were all pointing, yelling and laughing at me! I lost about 6 months worth of cool factor in just a few seconds. Thank God the bike didn't get scratched!

Just do like these guys have said and practice in a very low traffic area, preferably away from school children! :D You don't want to get in any heavy traffic until you are very comfortable with dismounting.

Once you get the hang of it you're going to love clipless! The only thing is you'll need to relearn how to pedal all over again but it'll be well worth it. Totally s-m-o-o-t-h !

Simple Solution. Learn how to track stand.

Then there is no need to ever put your foot/feet on the ground from the time you leave to the time you return.

It is not as hard as it may appear.

Benefits -

Saves wear and tear on your cleats and pedals.
Faster get aways from stopped traffic starts.
Looks cool, particularly when you come upon a group of weekend warriors :)

I started using clipless pedals a couple of months back. I was ultra careful the first couple of rides, making a conscious effort to unclip whenever it looked like i might need to stop.
I managed to get away without falling for these rides, but i must have got cocky as the next time out i fell over like a real idiot ( I tried to break the fall for my new bike by sticking my knee out and ended up with a cut that took me out from cycling for several weeks). I guess it comes down to developing instinctive clipping out technique, but watch out for new situations that might catch you out. My fall happened when i was at two minds as to whether or not i was going to stop.