Newbie to Flex Points...Needs Some Help

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Product Princes, Feb 19, 2004.

  1. Hi :) I'm new to this board and WW.

    I recently joined WW (about two weeks ago). Although I comprehend calculating and counting points, I
    am clueless in what to eat! Sad, strange and silly (but true nonethelss), I have no clue what is a
    "healthy" meal." Let me explain: I lost 45 lbs over a decade ago. How did I do it? I was a
    vegeterian and I basically starved myself and worked out at least 2 hours a day (I was pretty
    unhealthy to say the least).

    Although I think WW is great (have plenty of friends who swear by the Points System and is highly
    recommended by my doctors), I have no idea what to have for breakfast, lunch, dinner, etc. I have
    been recently diagnosed with pre-diabetes and been ordered by my doc drop 35-40lbs or risk getting
    diabetes two. For the past four years of my life (when I gained my weight back) I adopted very bad
    eating habits like consuming half a dozon of dunkin donuts, burgers, fries, you name it. For me, I
    went from one extreme to another extreme.

    If anyone could advise me where to look for tips, menus, give ideas in what you eat on a typical
    day, etc., it would be really appreciated.

    Thanks for listening :)

    Tags:

  2. Connie

    Connie Guest

    Product Princess wrote:
    > Hi :) I'm new to this board and WW.
    >
    > I recently joined WW (about two weeks ago). Although I comprehend calculating and counting points,
    > I am clueless in what to eat! Sad, strange and silly (but true nonethelss), I have no clue what is
    > a "healthy" meal." Let me explain: I lost 45 lbs over a decade ago. How did I do it? I was a
    > vegeterian and I basically starved myself and worked out at least 2 hours a day (I was pretty
    > unhealthy to say the least).
    >
    > Although I think WW is great (have plenty of friends who swear by the Points System and is highly
    > recommended by my doctors), I have no idea what to have for breakfast, lunch, dinner, etc. I have
    > been recently diagnosed with pre-diabetes and been ordered by my doc drop 35-40lbs or risk getting
    > diabetes two. For the past four years of my life (when I gained my weight back) I adopted very bad
    > eating habits like consuming half a dozon of dunkin donuts, burgers, fries, you name it. For me, I
    > went from one extreme to another extreme.
    >
    > If anyone could advise me where to look for tips, menus, give ideas in what you eat on a typical
    > day, etc., it would be really appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks for listening :)

    I can't tell if you are currently a vegetarian, but I'm going to assume not. Here is a site that has
    a menu planner for 20 points a day. You might have more than that and if you do, just add in more
    food. It is a balanced meal plan and should help you to start but it's pretty basic. It doesn't have
    things like stir fries and other meals for that buy a couple low fat or ww cook books or look on
    line somewhere (?)

    http://www.weightwatchers.com/downloads/1033/Util/art/EatingGuide.pdf

    --

    Cheers,

    Connie Walsh

    241.5/202/155 RAFL 210.5/202/198.5

  3. Julieb

    Julieb Guest

    Well done on joining WW. As the weeks go by you'll figure out what is good and what's not so good.
    There are many good sites in the FAQ and Welcome Notice (below) that will give you lots of low
    point ideas.

    Welcome to this great newsgroup where you'll receive lots of support, advice, and encouragement.
    Once a week on Sundays, I post a list of links that newcomers to asdww might find useful. You may
    want to look for that later in the week, or do a backwards search for last Sunday's post.

    In the meantime, here's our FAQ: http://www.didian.com/asdww/ our welcome notice:
    http://www.geocities.com/welcomenotice/index.html

    Frequently seen acronyms on this NG: NSV = Non-Scale Victory WOE = Way of Eating WOL = Way of Life
    (Living) OP = on Points or On Program DH = Dear or Darling Husband
    DS/DD/DGD/etc = Dear or Darling Son, Daughter, Granddaughter, etc WI = Weigh-in

    Amberle3's Challenges:

    THTP - Take Heart, Take Part Exercise Challenge: http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/thtp.htm

    RafL - Resolutions are for Losers Weight Loss Challenge:
    http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/rafl.htm

    Other acronyms: http://www.wwlissa.com/dwlz100+/100+acronyms.htm

    Here's a short synopsis of the USA program by Joyce -

    How many points you can eat is only based on your current weight, as you lose weight those points
    allowed will decrease (logic is that your body will need less to operate). At 183 pounds and based
    on the new US flexpoints system, you will have a set point target of 24. In addition to this you are
    allowed 35 flexpoints to be used throughout the week ... as well as any activity points you earn on
    a particular day. When your weight drops to 175, your target drops to 22 points ... weight reaches
    150, target once again drop to 20 points. 3 servings of dairy of recommended per day, 5 servings of
    fruit and veggies, minimum of 6 glasses of water.

    To calculate food and activity points, I love this computer desktop calculator ...
    http://www.zythra.com/downloads/points.exe

    The basic plan is easy. Eat at least your minimum daily number of points. Points do not carry over
    from day to day. You are allotted 35 weekly flexpoints to be used at your discretion ... can divide
    them up and use daily (would be an additional 5 points per day) or save them and use them for a
    special occassion during the week. Activity points are earned based when exercising, but can ONLY be
    used on the day they are earned.

    If you can afford $15/month, the online ww program might be a great thing for you to look into.
    There is lots of information available, as well as the food point database and journaling system.

    Joyce WW starting weight: 228.8 - 2/5/02 current weight: 133.3 Lifetime: 4/4/03

    Please note that if you live in onther countries (UK, Australia, NZ, Europe), the Points plans are
    different. The UK and Australia/NZ calculate points based on saturated fat and total kilojoules.
    Most of Europe calculates based on total fat and total kilojoules. The desktop calculator above can
    handle all of these programs.

    Disclaimer: As an unmoderated Usenet newsgroup, asdww is unusual in that most of the people who
    participate are respectful, considerate folks who freely share their experience with and knowledge
    of WW, weight loss, and maintenance. Yet occasionally, spammers, trolls, and flamers show up to post
    advertising, false information, insults, and the like. Nearly all of the time, people like this are
    just trying to yank someone's chain. Most of the regulars on this newsgroup offer their experience
    as a suggestion to try if you're stuck, but are quick to advise that each person has to find what
    works for him/herself. If someone posts something that doesn't sound right to you, ask the
    newsgroup, ask your WW leader, or ask your health professional.

    Much success on your weight loss journey! WW works!

    --
    Julie.
    93.5/72.3/74 (WW)/72 (Personal) kg

    Here's our FAQ: http://www.didian.com/asdww/ and welcome notice:
    http://www.geocities.com/welcomenotice/index.html

    "Product Princess" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi :) I'm new to this board and WW.
    >
    > I recently joined WW (about two weeks ago). Although I comprehend calculating and counting points,
    > I am clueless in what to eat! Sad, strange and silly (but true nonethelss), I have no clue what is
    > a "healthy" meal." Let me explain: I lost 45 lbs over a decade ago. How did I do it? I was a
    > vegeterian and I basically starved myself and worked out at least 2 hours a day (I was pretty
    > unhealthy to say the least).
    >
    > Although I think WW is great (have plenty of friends who swear by the Points System and is highly
    > recommended by my doctors), I have no idea what to have for breakfast, lunch, dinner, etc. I have
    > been recently diagnosed with pre-diabetes and been ordered by my doc drop 35-40lbs or risk getting
    > diabetes two. For the past four years of my life (when I gained my weight back) I adopted very bad
    > eating habits like consuming half a dozon of dunkin donuts, burgers, fries, you name it. For me, I
    > went from one extreme to another extreme.
    >
    > If anyone could advise me where to look for tips, menus, give ideas in what you eat on a typical
    > day, etc., it would be really appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks for listening :)

  4. I eat alot of fruit, I basically eat what I want but in smaller portions and
    with less fat. I am not overly attracted to junk food so that isn't an
    issue for me. There are menus in the WW materials that may help you,
    welcome and good luck, Lee