Newbie to Forums/Syd, Which Bike

Roadie101

Nov 11, 2007
Hey there everyone

Am new to this forums and infact new to Sydney. My names Steve and am in consumer healthcare, Left my roadie back in Melbourne, Bendigo to be precise, with a view to get a nice new one, in the next couple of weeks.

Was looking in a few bike shops today, and found a reasonable bike, just under the 2k mark, it was a Giant CRX Zero, and it’s a 08 model. Just wondering whether someone on here owns one, or have any opinion on if this is the bike I should go for, or if there an alternative. Basically, am not really looking to enter as a professional, more a recreational roadie, just like going for rides 100 - 150k, on the weekend, alas, this leads me to my next question.

Along with the roadie, I want to also get a Mountain Bike, as its a side of the sport i want to get more into to, and there are some great looking tracks up terry hills way, any ideas on what I should go for, and what I should pay, want to get the bike both at the same time, to get a better price for both.

Thirdly, where are some great road/track also in Sydney, being no bike lanes what so ever in the inner city, you have to be crazy to ride with the width of the roads only being able to fit a car barely, plus some ignorant drivers.

Lastly, can anyone direct me to group ride/clubs that you are joined up to? Want to get into the sport, plus, restart to make new mates up here, thanks!

Hope to get lots of info off this forums, thanks to all in advance!

Regards Steve :)

Roadie101 said:

Thirdly, where are some great road/track also in Sydney, being no bike lanes what so ever in the inner city, you have to be crazy to ride with the width of the roads only being able to fit a car barely, plus some ignorant drivers.

Lastly, can anyone direct me to group ride/clubs that you are joined up to? Want to get into the sport, plus, restart to make new mates up here, thanks!

Where abouts in Sydney are you staying. It will help with advise on BUGs, groups, lanes and shops.

SCotty

Regular 100-150km rides on a flat bar CRX? I think you'd be much better advised to consider a real drop bar road bike. In any case, long 100+km rides tend to be with roadie clubs where drop bars are preferred.

To find a BUG or club, check out Bicycle NSW's web site.
http://www.bicyclensw.org.au/

Proper racing bike sounds more suitable to the type of riding you have described.

In any case, if you in the inner west, or close, (or regardless) give Dulwich Hill Bicycle Club a try. The club has two weekend rides:
Saturday Slowies starting at Marrickville (Cnr Illawarra & Marrickville Roads) 6:30am and heading to Centennial park and back, at a recreational pace, with some training laps in Centennial.
Sunday Training Ride Leaving same time same place for Waterfall (South-bound) and back for a 90km training ride. Group breaks up into 2-3 groups to accomodate all fitness levels.
The Club also has a great track cycling program

Check out their website. www.dhbc.org.au Great club with some of the most friendly people in town. You won't be dissappointed.

Roadie101 said:
Hey there everyone

Am new to this forums and infact new to Sydney. My names Steve and am in consumer healthcare, Left my roadie back in Melbourne, Bendigo to be precise, with a view to get a nice new one, in the next couple of weeks.

Was looking in a few bike shops today, and found a reasonable bike, just under the 2k mark, it was a Giant CRX Zero, and it’s a 08 model. Just wondering whether someone on here owns one, or have any opinion on if this is the bike I should go for, or if there an alternative. Basically, am not really looking to enter as a professional, more a recreational roadie, just like going for rides 100 - 150k, on the weekend, alas, this leads me to my next question.

Along with the roadie, I want to also get a Mountain Bike, as its a side of the sport i want to get more into to, and there are some great looking tracks up terry hills way, any ideas on what I should go for, and what I should pay, want to get the bike both at the same time, to get a better price for both.