Newbie to the cycling world, A 2006 Giant tcr2 or Trek Pilot 1.2

ga1044

Feb 9, 2007
As stated on the top, I am new to the cycling world. I am ready to make an investment on road cycling and was wondering if you all could help me decide which bike to get. My two choices are the 2006 Giant TCR 2 and the 2007 Trek Pilot 1.2. As have seen both and didn’t really know much I wanted to know what the cyclist like you all would recommend. Any suggestions are greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

I can directly answer, as I had the EXACT same decision a little over a year ago. It boils down to what you plan to do. The Pilot is a nice all around bicycle that has a slightly more comfortable geometry, ability to add a rack, etc. The TCR 2 is a racing bicycle, and therefore a little faster frame angles. I rode both, did a lot of consideration and ended up buying the TCR because I just wanted to ride, possibly race in the future, liked the tighter feel of it, and could use another bike if I decided I needed a rack, etc. I also only wanted a double front chainring, while the Pilot is a triple. With all this said, you need to ride them both and see which one feels better. Another part of the equation is which one speaks to you more? For some reason, I could see myself on the TCR more than the Pilot. I don't think you can go wrong with either of these quality bicycles, and wish you the best. Welcome.:)

And for exactly the opposite reason as ghostpedal, I went the other way. Actually, I ended up with a Specialized Roubaix Elite, but my focus was to find a bike that I would be comfortable riding on long event rides. I am 54 years old and have no ambition to race. I ride for the enjoyment and to keep my weight under control (down to 184 pounds from 265 in November of 2005). I found the Roubaix to fit my needs best, but the Pilot was a very close second. Had I not ridden the Roubaix, I think I would have been equally happy with the Pilot.

I agree with ghostpedal's advice. Find the bike that speaks to you.

As mentioned the two bikes you are looking at have different geometry so you should try to ride both of them. My last bike, a Lemond Buenos Aires, had a relaxed position siimilar to the Pilot and was very comfortable to ride. My cervelo on the other hand has a 'race' geometry and feels very different than the trek. Comfortable, but a little more stress on the low back. I like the cervelo much better overall.

ga1044 said:
As stated on the top, I am new to the cycling world. I am ready to make an investment on road cycling and was wondering if you all could help me decide which bike to get. My two choices are the 2006 Giant TCR 2 and the 2007 Trek Pilot 1.2. As have seen both and didn’t really know much I wanted to know what the cyclist like you all would recommend. Any suggestions are greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
im for the giant tcr2. good parts and most of our riders ride in giant. expat riders are also riding giant road bikes. perhaps its prolly becaues its cheap and its got great performance.