Newbie to the Forum -- I've hit a brick wall (Not literally)

Jason71

Oct 2, 2011
Hello everyone. I have been browsing today and have come across this forum. I am fairly new to road cycling, but have been on a bike from time to time over the last 15 years. I have only become a bit more serious about it for the last 7 months. You see, a little over a year ago, I weighed in at 222 lbs being 6 ft tall. I decided to take my life back and decided to lose some weight. I thought that I would run (all runners that I know are thin), so I started-off running. However, my exercise has evolved into road biking. Fast forward to today. I am riding no less than 20 miles per day and I ride 7 days per week. I have lost 60 pounds, and am probably in the best shape of my life. For the past 7 months, I have ridden my Specialized Stumpjumper (Mountain bike) on the road. I have taken that on some longer rides, most of which were 50-60 miles with a 100 mile ride also. This last week, I decided to take things a bit more seriously and I bought a Cannondale SupeSix 1 Dura-ace.

I love it. I have ridden it 2 days now, and I feel as if I am driving a sportscar. It is so much fun. I can't believe that I rode the mountain bike on the road for so long........I really didn't realize how much I was missing out on.

Sorry for the lack of pictures. I will try to get some up. I have never competed, but feel like I want to possibly train for a triathlon or something of that nature, but just don't know where to start. I feel like I need to be faster, but my average speed on my 20 mile ride is just over 21 miles per hour. I feel as if I have hit a wall, and don't really know what to do to increase my speed, stamina, and leg strength. Right now, I don't have a computer. The only electronics that I am utilizing right now are a chest strap and a cheap HR monitor watch. I figure my route using google maps and by driving the route in my car to figure mileage.

Any input would greatly be appreciated. Please go easy on a newbie.

As easily as I can, I am going to tell you to join your local cycling club. They will know what events are held in your area and help you train for them and enter them. They will help you identify which computer is the best for your needs, and they have guys who will help you with a training program and might even ride with you. An average speed of 21 mph is respectable but there will probably be guys in the club that can help you get over this plateau and keep going up. Good luck. Was that going easy enough for you?

Originally Posted by kdelong .

As easily as I can, I am going to tell you to join your local cycling club. They will know what events are held in your area and help you train for them and enter them. They will help you identify which computer is the best for your needs, and they have guys who will help you with a training program and might even ride with you. An average speed of 21 mph is respectable but there will probably be guys in the club that can help you get over this plateau and keep going up. Good luck. Was that going easy enough for you?
Yes, LOL. That was very reasonable.

The local cycling club is a good suggestion. I do live in a rather rural area, and I am not so sure how active the local club tends to be. The guy that owns the local bike shop is a good friend from college, so he has been pretty helpful up to this point. I just feel like I need to be doing a bit more to increase my pace.

Cateye has some very good and simple computers for speed and distance calculations, they are also very durable and not so hard to install,