Newbie to the roller trainer- any tips or cautions?

J-Dawg

Jul 15, 2004
Just getting back into riding after a few years hiadus, and picked up a indoor roller trainer for those rainy days or late nites

it doesn't currently have the front front stand, and I've yet to get it from UPS yet

but how easy is it to start out riding on it, and what should I becareful with and is it easy to keep balance? should I use my clips and shoes? I don't wanna keep swapping pedals from day to day

thanks for the help

Jim

J-Dawg said:
Just getting back into riding after a few years hiadus, and picked up a indoor roller trainer for those rainy days or late nites

it doesn't currently have the front front stand, and I've yet to get it from UPS yet

but how easy is it to start out riding on it, and what should I becareful with and is it easy to keep balance? should I use my clips and shoes? I don't wanna keep swapping pedals from day to day

thanks for the help

Jim

rollers are pretty tuff...mainly because you have to have a vcery even pedal stroke ..otherwise you will bounce around...
i would def try it without clips first and also keep something to lean on near by...
i prefer the regular trainers..omly 100$ and are much easier to travel around with..

for the price I couldn't refuse thought

and if i can't handle it, I'll just get a front fork stand

thanks for the quick response

Jim

When I was trying to learn the rollers (got fed up and went with a fluid trainer) I used to stick them in a doorway, so if I started to go over one way or another, I could grab the door frame on either side.

Good luck, and don't kill yourself.

J-Dawg said:

thanks for the help

Jim

Hello J,

I have to pipe in simply because I am the self appointed "rollers" person in the cycling circles I travel in (no pun intended)

Nothing will perfect your spin better than a set of rollers, and keep in mind that Rollers and Trainers are two different tools for two different aspects of cycling. Rollers work on balance, smoothness, spin, and even bike handling skills. Trainers are for building strength as rollers typically don't have enough resistance to generate a good strength workout.

Be careful about the fork stand for the rollers, If you're simply going to spin along I think they are alright, but if you're a heavier rider and are going to really hammer out of the saddle using it, they are a bit harder on the frame and fork than trainers are. Front forks are just not made for that kind of stress.

Best way to start with rollers is to set them up in a doorway in such a way that if you stick your hand out, you can comfortablly brace against either doorjamb. As you get more confident, then setting them up next to a counter or workbench on one side or the other will be good enough, and even after that you should be able to build enough confidence to put them in the middle of a room stamping down with on leg to get the spin going and then clipping in with the other foot without missing a beat. That's what I do as I usually watch old TdF coverage from OLN while on the rollers. A positive spinoff of this is that you now have no "out" as in something to break your fall if you fall so if you feel confident in riding rollers this way, its because you really do have some decent skills. This translates to the real road as well as you will find it far easier to ride close to the curb without being twitchy (even at high speed) and you will feel more like a part of the bike's balance rather than simply something "on" it since rollers also train your concentration whereas trainers often induce mindless daydreaming.

Some safety tips:

1. cleated shoes of any type have NO traction on the rollers frame (typically a nice shiny, slippery metal) so first thing to do after you get yours is to get some traction tape of some kind and put it all along the top of the roller frame where you would normally step on and off.

2. When starting out, faster is easier as the faster you go on the rollers, the more stable you are and smaller inputs cause gradual direction changes as opposed to going slow where your inputs will always lag and cause that oscillation which always dumps people new to rollers right on the ground.

3. Easier said than done, but DO NOT PANIC if you are getting close to one side of the rollers or the other... Panic is what dumps you more often than mistakes... as you get close to one side of the rollers, lean slightly in the opposite direction rather than trying to "turn" away. Once you get confident on the rollers, you'll realize that actually, no turning of the bars is ever necessary, just a small "lean" in the direction you want to go is enough.

4. Staring at the front roller is the best way to freak yourself out. It will seem VERY surprising to you later on, but its easier to ride, dead straight in the middle of the rollers if you pick a point on the far wall, stare at it and simply ride at a steady pace. Its also very good practice for form as you rarely ride on the road staring down at the ground for an hour straight :)

5. If you do ride off the end of the rollers (away from the counter for example) again, do not freak out and wildly try to unclip. That will get you laying on the ground every time. Instead, let the front wheel drop off the side, stand up in the saddle lurch forward slightly to pull the rear off the rear rollers and then while riding forward slowly hop the rear wheel over the frame (like you would hop the rear wheel up onto the curb) and ride clear while then unclipping a foot. Sounds wildly hard, but the first time you do it you'll say "easy" Its the panic that's uncomfortable :) and if you're going to fall, why not fall while trying the elegant way out instead of simply flailing to the ground?

6. You'll get numb hands, sore arms and sore bum faster and to a much greater degree on rollers than if you were out on the road because the smoothness of the rollers allows you to spin along in the same exact position bsically, forever. So make sure you shift hand positions often and try to learn soon how to ride out of the saddle every now and again on the rollers to give your private bits a break :) Being on the rollers is tougher on the hands and arms because the lack of resistance (that you get while under load on the real road) does not allow your legs to "press" under load thus bearing some of the weight momentarily off your upperbody and thus your arms...

In no time at all, maybe 20 or 30 hours total riding time, you'll be able to sprint out of the saddle, ride no hands, use your water bottle, all kinds of things that seem impossible now. And when you're on the real road EVERYTHING will seem easier!

Do things one step at a time, stay calm, and it will all come naturally... The coolest thing about the rollers is that you get that "Hey! Look at me! I can ride a bike!" feeling all over again like when you were 4 LoL!

Sorry to be so long winded...

Feanor

Feanor,

that was a great post, thanks a bunch for it and I already have a spot picked out to practice

I rigged the bike up the other day to run on our treadmill, haha but it only ran up to 10 mph and didn't wanna burn the motor out :)

I'll let you know how it works out

Jim

Feanor,
I must agree - that was a great post!

I have been idly contemplating rollers for a while now, and you're finally convinced me to give it a try - an indoor trainer I already have (actually, it belongs to the Mrs), and this seems (especially now) to be the next step.

Many thanks!

Hope I don't over power the rollers and speed the bike off to the other side of the room like in Easy Money where Rodney Dangerfield is riding the bike and the trainer breaks and he goes flying into the Christmas Tree, haha

everybody have a good weekend

Jim

J-Dawg said:
Hope I don't over power the rollers and speed the bike off to the other side of the room like in Easy Money where Rodney Dangerfield is riding the bike and the trainer breaks and he goes flying into the Christmas Tree, haha

everybody have a good weekend

Jim

Goose and J,

Thanks for the kind words :) I think rollers are a much maligned form of cycling training, and shunned more often out of fear then sense.

Unbelievably, given how much I wrote before :) there was so much more I wanted to write about them because I always want to give people who ask the whole scope both positive and negative...

Some of the expanded info covers things like:

Riding out of the saddle: At first it will feel completely unnatural because as you execute each powerstroke (downstroke under your weight) of your spin, the absence of resistance does not compare to the road. It will feel as though you're stepping into a hole as opposed to the road where you can stand on the pedal with enough back resistance to "hold you up" momentarily.... Because the rollers are the way they are, pedalling out of the saddle you have to distribute your weight over both pedals very much like you would if you were riding a unicycle.

As a safety tip when you ride out of the saddle, be in the highest gear 53-12 on mine as that will provide the most resistance and minimize the "falling on the downstroke" feeling to the greatest degree.

About riding off the rollers: Its basically impossible to power off the rollers unless the front roller is maladjusted (more in this later) Alot of people have told me they have done it, but after more inquiries by me, it turns out to be exactly what I expected. People who think they have pedalled off the rollers have really just shifted their body weight forward suddenly in a kind of "lurch" and this "hops" the bike of the rollers. It happens most often out of the saddle because your body naturally moves forward, and if you lean abruptly over the bars, this yanks the bike off the rollers, you aren't pedalling off them...

To pedal the bike with so much force that you overcome the rear rollers ability to spin up to match the speed would take in excess of about 3000 watts delivered instaneously (probably more) and if you could do this, you wouldn't be worrying about rollers, but instead admiring the 10 Tour De France Sprinters jerseys in your den :)

Bottom line, bikes can be muscled and jerked off the rollers, but not ridden off (forward that is)

on hand position: When riding one handed, as during times where you're shaking out your wrists and arms, drinking, etc. hold the bars close to the stem, not out toward the drops. When you hold the bars (especially with one hand) near the outside of the bars all your steering inputs become more pronounced and have the potential to be jerky, often times interupting your smoothness on the rollers. if you hold the bars closer to the center, this increases the amount of force you have to exert to move the front wheel off line and acts to really soften steering inputs making everything smoother and easier. This is one thing that translates completely over to the road as well.

About setting up the rollers: the rollers will have an adjustable front to accomodate the wheelbase of your bike. If you're just starting out the bike will be more stable on the rollers with the front roller slightly behind the front dropouts, and less stable if the front roller is in front of the dropouts (avoid this situation) and optimal when the roller is dead center below the dropouts.

Its rare to have a situation where the roller can be positioned directly under the droupouts, but never difficult to have them slightly behind the dropouts. Don't get the front roller TOO far behind the dropouts or else you risk putting so much weight in front of the roller that the tendency will be for the front to pull the bike off the rear rollers... about an inch or two behind will work.

If you can get the roller directly underneath the dropouts it will represent the least possible resistance since there will be no fore and aft load induced that increases friction, but you will instead be resting completely on top of the rollers. This situation makes the bike less stable but as you get better it also does the best job of training you to be very smooth on the bike, and you will be AMAZED at how much more confident you will feel when you get out on the road... Amaze your friends by riding no hands in formation with complete confidence while pulling your rain poncho out of your back pocket and putting it on all while never missing a beat in your conversation while 8 inches from the curb!

On a cool safety trapeze: I have a friend who just never wanted to ride on the rollers without a good "out" should he get into trouble. What he did was to install a kind of "trapeze" hanging from the rafters of his garage (where he rode his rollers) and hanging basically right in front of his face as he rode... in a situation where it was obvious he was going down, he said he could just reach up and grab the bar. Of course the bike would probably be a tangle on top of the rollers beneath him but he would end up being upright and saved from a tumble.

The funniest part about his contraption is that after he installed it, he NEVER had to use it! *laughing* though he said it was a nice little confidence booster... I called it more of a "marital aid" :) which he got a kick out of...

Whew! I write too much!!!! LoL!

Have a good weekend all and good luck!

Feanor

Oh! I almost forgot!

If you feel skiddish at the beginning wear sneakers and don't clip in till you feel a little more stable... this helps alot in the beginning... Just don't use the rollers like this all the time! :)

Feanor

Feanor

Thanks for all the info I am new here and I was looking for information on
buying a bike trainen and now I you have convince me into buying a bike roller. Now I was wondering if you knew and good brands that you can suggest to a female 5'4 170 lbs. I am using for both trying to lose weight and improving my balance, bike skill etc.. I will be forever greatfull please inform me thank you so so much jasmine. :eek:

I think I'm going to fabricate a pair of safety bars, since I'm going to ride in my hallway in the basement, I'm goint to mount two bars that mount to the seat post and extend to each wall on the side of me and have rubber stops to prevent holes in the walls :) , that way the bike can't walk left or right on me, very easy to fab up and gives me a project late at nite when I can't sleep, haha

glad I started this thread, seems its helping alot of people

Jim

Feanor,
again MANY thanks - perhaps you should consolidate all you've written and submit it to Bicycling magazine? If I were the editor I'd have NO hesitation in publishing you.

What you've submitted is a definitive work. All you lack is a skilled typesetter and an illustrator.

In Afrikaans we have a saying: "Hy MAG!" - roughly and rudely translated it means that the person referred to has the right, by virtue of skill, knowledge, and practical capability in practice, to perform whatever the task is under discussion. The first person singular in Afrikaans is "Jy" (You), whereas 'hy' means 'him' or 'he'.

so....

Jy MAG!!!!

jasmineloveflow said:
Feanor

Thanks for all the info I am new here and I was looking for information on
buying a bike trainen and now I you have convince me into buying a bike roller. Now I was wondering if you knew and good brands that you can suggest to a female 5'4 170 lbs. I am using for both trying to lose weight and improving my balance, bike skill etc.. I will be forever greatfull please inform me thank you so so much jasmine. :eek:

Hello Jasmine!

One thing before I start is that I wanted you to know that though rollers are a wonderful way to train and you can get a serious workout if you use a high gear and high cadence,
they are most beneficial for perfecting your bike handling skill (balance) and your smooth, efficient application of power (spin). If your primary consideration is weight management and you might not have a driving desire at improving spin and bike handling considerations, keep in mind that a trainer might be a more appropriate tool (especially if you like to do things like read or watch TV while exercising :) )

But if you really do want to improve your biking skills along with the weight management, then rollers are a good choice! The lower resistance allows you to maintain a high cadence while keeping your heart rate at the levels best suited for calorie burn...65-70% depending on our level of fitness, holding your heart rate at this level will seem to be far too easy and you won't really feel like you're getting a workout at all, but its not really about hitting your lactic acid threshold (hard workout) as it is maintaining a longer workout to get to the point where your body fuels it effort by burning fat.

Make no mistake, if you can sustain a HARD effort, you will burn fat much faster, but the trick is that with the lower effort over a much longer period of time, the results are good without you having to kill yourself or convince yourself each evening to subject your body to alot of physical discomfort. The lower efforts over a longer time encourages most people to keep at it... and keeping at it is the only secret to success in anything... You have to be a special breed to bring your body to threshold day after day and more often than not, the people who are that way worked themselves up to that level, they didn't risk discouragement by starting out that way.

Having said all that... There are only really two levels of bike rollers... Kreitler and then everyone else :)

As odd and as biased as this may sound let me explain... you can get rollers from a variety of places like Performance bike, Nashbar, Supergo, Colorado Cyclist etc, they'll be branded as "Nashbar" or "Performance" etc and they all fall into about the 100-200 dollar range, and for all practical purposes they are all pretty much the same, and of decent quality... This is to say if you get the $120 Nashbar rollers, they will be just as good as the Performance $140 etc. This is for even daily moderate use.

The sets may vary a bit in quality of the drums/bearings/frame etc, but the brand and inflation of your bike tires will have an effect many many times more significant on the way the rollers feel then the small variations in quality and price of the roller unit.

If you wanted the rollers for exercise and maybe a bit of improvement on your biking skills then any of these will do the trick and you can't really go wrong unless you go for a really really off brand... (i.e. a $50 set from gift magazine or something)

Now if you truly want to perfect your spin and be in heaven on the absolute best rollers you can get, then the Kreitler rollers are the top of the line... They use high class bearings and machined rollers (aluminum) that are so smooth its almost unreal... you have to ride a set of "ok" rollers and then ride Kreitlers to truly appreciate how amazingly good they are. They have several different varieties, but the standard rollers go for about $450 with the 4.5" diameter 15" width rollers. Only get the smaller diameter rollers if you want a higher workout (they are harder to spin) but if you wanted that, then getting a trainer would make more sense :)

Because of their price, the Kreitlers are serious tools for improving spin, and in almost all cases, the other units from places like Performance and Nashbar will suit almost all riders, but for smoothness and quality the K's are at the top.

With that long winded explanation :) Have a look at the Performance Technique and Parabolic rollers, they are well built reasonably priced, but again, everything in their price range will be just as good...

Good luck to you!

Feanor

Many Thanks GB!

I'd definitely have to really go over the grammar and structure of it all before I would ever dare send it in to a magazine though :)

But thank you for the encouragement! I just wish that people could be as positive about my actual biking skill (I mean lack thereof) LoL!

Feanor

just wanted to thank you Feanor as well,

got the trainer monday and within 10 minutes of trial and error, I was off and running, rode 15 miles monday, 10 miles yesterday, am switching gears, moving hand postions and saddle postion and just absolutely loving the roller set up

its so nice not to be constricted to riding when its light out, I get home, I eat dinner, relax and then ride, rather then running home, sprinting through the house to save daylight and on the bike immediately, just didn't make it fun

how far do you usually ride on your rollers? if I can keep 10 miles a day during week days i'll be happy and save the open road for less hectic weekend daylight hours

thanks a bunch

Jim

I got a set of used kreitlers this evening and took my first ever roller-ride.

I'll add what seemed to work for me -- mirroring much of what was stated above...

first, set it up right!

I got set up against my stairs so I could HOLD the rail. At first that seemed cool, but it was a crutch. I moved to the doorway and got comfortable pretty quick.

Put it in the biggest gear you have and crank the speed up over 20 mph. What keeps the bike vertical is the gyroscopic effect. The faster the wheel spin, the greater the effect and the easier it is to ride. Less than 15mph was really hard for me at first.

Keep your hands on the upper part of the handlebars at first... be confident and let go of the walls... In the drops i tended to be a bit more "noisey" at first.

Within 30 minutes, I was cruising along without needing the walls for balance any more.... piece of cake. The first 10, however, were dicey. :)

Great information, Feanor, and everyone else! I've also been contemplating a roller purchase for this fall/winter when it's tough (or just not fun) to ride outside. I also agree that an article with this kind of information would be GREAT in a magazine like Bicycling! They have too much filler and not enough "meat" right now.

Now then, I do have one question regarding the resistance (or lack thereof) of the rollers. What about the newer ones that feature selectable levels of resistance (similar to a trainer)? Has anyone tried these and are they worth it? Thanks...

mmpc001 said:
Now then, I do have one question regarding the resistance (or lack thereof) of the rollers. What about the newer ones that feature selectable levels of resistance (similar to a trainer)? Has anyone tried these and are they worth it? Thanks...
Well, I'd state the same as others above.... the rollers are a good aerobic exercise and not really a strength thing. I got a set of used kreitlers with a killer headwind fan... What are you trying to accomplish? I want a 70-80% MHR ride on the rollers for a minimum of an hour. I don't need any additional resistance to accomplish this on the rollers if I stay in my top gear and pedal 23+ mph on the roller... The fan, or at least my fan, even on the "easiest" setting is too hard with that much wheelspeed and makes it more of a strength workout. As I get better on the rollers I'm sure I can bring the speed down into the mid to high teens and do some strength as well by using the fan... I'd say get the rollers that have an option to add the resistance and stick with learning to ride them cleanly first. Then move up to the resistance units. From my limited experience, the resistance unit made it more difficult to learn to ride. As soon as I removed the band on the fan, I got up to speed and off the wall and rode for 20 or so minutes without having to touch again....

Thanks for the info and good advice, Ken. I'll look for rollers that are upgradeable down the road.