Newbie to TRI

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by James Fedell, Mar 21, 2003.

  1. James Fedell

    James Fedell Guest

    Hello everyone I'm a begginner in triathlon and I'm starting my training program so that I'm ready
    for mid june. And when I say beginner I mean beginner, I have no Hi-tech equipement etc. Where
    should I start? I have been brousing the net and started training. I don't want to beat any records
    but just finish my first triathlon without busting my wallet. Any good suggestions out there? Thanks
    for your help. James

    Tags:

  2. I, too, am doing my first Tri this year and have started building a base for training. I picked up a
    couple of books that I highly recommend: Triathlon 101 by John Mora, and Total Immersion <don't have
    the author handy right now but its on swimming skills - check the site at totalimmersion.net>

    Which one are you doing? I'm doing Chicago.

    Joel

    news:<[email protected]>...

  3. James Fedell <[email protected]> wrote:
    >beginner, I have no Hi-tech equipement etc. Where should I start? I have been brousing the net and
    >started training. I don't want to beat any records but just finish my first triathlon without
    >busting my wallet. Any good suggestions out there?

    Buy any bike with more than 3 gears. Clipless pedals are best, but a simple $9 cage will still
    improve your pedaling speed/effort considerably. There are a lot of used bikes out there - may be
    better to go that way until you've ridden enough to make an informed purchase for a new one. I got
    mine for $500, and you can do just fine with far less spent. Until you have put in a good investment
    in time/racing, your motor is far more important than the bike.

    Desoto tri shorts are a steal for the $30-40 price. You can do the entire race in them comfortably.
    For tops, I like ones that have a zipper as I get pretty warm in the run. Then any running shoes
    with lace locks.

    If you race where wetsuits are needed, the budget hit can get worse. The fastest suits are full
    length, but usually the starting price is a tad over 200. Sometimes you can find a good winter
    closeout, but you really need to try them on for fit.

    --
    Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com

  4. Mike Lana

    Mike Lana Guest

    Hi James, Welcome to triathlons. I started doing them 5 years ago. Its harder to find a better group
    of people than the triathletes I have met. I am sure you will get tons of help. Your major
    investments should be a swim suit, a couple pair of bike shorts, Gogels, Helmet, UV protection sun
    glasses and a quality pair of running shoes. You can do the race on a mountian or road bike. A road
    bike will be faster but many first time triathletes use a mountian bike. Don't get sucked into
    buying a triathlon bike. You probably would not want to consider that until you have done a years
    worth of racing. Most of us use road bikes anyway. Check out http://www.trinewbies.com/ for a lot of
    valuable information and training plans. Good Luck Mike

  5. James Fedell

    James Fedell Guest

    Thank you all for your help! And by the way Joel I'm looking to do the Drummondville,Quebec tri
    because this is real close to home.

    "James Fedell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello everyone I'm a begginner in triathlon and I'm starting my training program so that I'm ready
    > for mid june. And when I say beginner I mean beginner, I have no Hi-tech equipement etc. Where
    > should I start? I have been brousing the net and started training. I don't want to beat any
    records
    > but just finish my first triathlon without busting my wallet. Any good suggestions out there?
    > Thanks for your help. James

  6. James Fedell

    James Fedell Guest

    Hey Mark! For your info the Drummondville Tri is june 29 you can find more info at
    http://www.triathlon.qc.ca/ Even though everything is in french..... If you need some info don't
    hesitate to email me. Good Luck James "Mark Grady" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:5oF%[email protected]...