newbie touring, have road bike only

bkonecky

Apr 17, 2005
Hey there,, thanks for basics who can:

Have a steel frame De Rosa road bike (been ridin for several years now).

Want to ride and camp, maybe some 3-8 day trips, but will start with trial 2-3 ers.

Is my bike fine?

Trailer better or racks and paniers?

I have camp gear, good tent (little heavy/big, but own it), good sleep bag (to hot for summer, but own it), thermarest (need it?.

I can probably spend the money on a good trailer (looked at bob-yack), will hurt a little $$$ but ok. Or can set up bike.

Any suggestions,,, please help!!!!

Thanks ,,, brian

Is your bike fine? Yes, although other readers might say not ideal for touring. I did my first tour a few years back at 42 years of age. 140kms per day across Australia on a steel frame road bike and nothing as nice as a De Rosa. If you train for long days, then you will be used to your own bike and shouldn't suffer too much. A bit of upper body gym work in your preparation should help.

Haven't tried panniers, so can't comment. A mate used a BOB, while I used a Koolstop Wilderbeast. Not much difference. The BOB has a better standard bag re. being waterproof. I prefered the Wilderbeast's hardware for connecting to the bike. Each way bet if you factor in an aftermarket bag on the Wilderbeast, unless they've changed the standard bag.

If your camp gear is overweight, then allow for it in the distances you plan to ride each day. Longer distances with too much weight will be slower and more tiring. Don't over-commit yourself or you'll take away from the fun factor. If you continue with the touring you can update things like the tent gradually over time so it hurts less with the $$$.

Cheers.

:)

Thanks a lot for the reply,,, had sorta given up on anyone getting back to me.

Just got my bob in the mail yesterday,,, and I'm excited!!! Pretty much in decent shape now, the main aches I get are in shoulders and neck,,, and I noticed you suggested some gym work for upper body, so maybe that will help there.

Anyways,, thanks for the info and have a fun safe summer.

You are appreciated.

brian

get wider tires, as recommend above (and make sure they clear your break calipers), and make sure you've got some low gears. climbing a hill with a 39/23 is a lot more difficult with an extra 50+ pounds to pull.

good luck.

bkonecky said:
Hey there,, thanks for basics who can:

Have a steel frame De Rosa road bike (been ridin for several years now).

Want to ride and camp, maybe some 3-8 day trips, but will start with trial 2-3 ers.

Is my bike fine?

Trailer better or racks and paniers?

I have camp gear, good tent (little heavy/big, but own it), good sleep bag (to hot for summer, but own it), thermarest (need it?.

I can probably spend the money on a good trailer (looked at bob-yack), will hurt a little $$$ but ok. Or can set up bike.

Any suggestions,,, please help!!!!

Thanks ,,, brian

p38lightning said:
Put some wider tires on you rims 700c x 25's or 28's to accommodate increased load.
ishiwata said:
get wider tires, as recommend above (and make sure they clear your break calipers

uh guys he said he got a trailer...

My $.02 as I have been thinking of doing this but haven't yet...I am sure it is similar to backpacking. Much better to go light as possible, so may not hurt to get superlight tent and bag even if it is $$$. Let me know how it works out for you and what you learn from 2-3 days to 8+.

ishiwata said:
Climbing a hill with a 39/23 is a lot more difficult with an extra 50+ pounds to pull.

good luck.

This is for sure the case! Does the trailer weigh a lot more than saddle bags do? Maybe get yourself a mountain cassette if you ride shimano, or a 29 if campy. I envy you...