Newbie Trainer Question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by klanda20, Nov 12, 2007.

1. klanda20

klanda20 New Member

Hello All,

I've used my CycleOps trainer a couple times now and it has been working very well.........until yesterday.

Everything seemed to be working fine but when I was done cycling I noticed a ton of tiny black spec on the ground. It was a actually rubber that was coming off of the tire. My tire was balded down pretty far all the way around in the middle. I had someone look to see if it was rubbing against anything it shouldn't be and everything looked alright.

My only guess is that the tire was a little low on air and when it pressed against the roller on the trainer it caused too much friction......but that is just a complete shot in the dark guess.

Anyone else w/ the same experience have some answers???

Thanks

Tags:

2. grv

grv New Member

Depending on the tire manufacturer and pressure, this is not surprising. My Michelin Krylon does OK.

If you've reached the point in the season where you are not likely to go out again until spring, or if you have a bike you leave on the trainer, you could get a trainer tire.

Continental and Tacx make them. I've use the Conti and it shreds less after the first few rides, and provides better traction with less press on roller force.

3. klanda20

klanda20 New Member

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely look into specific trainer tires!

4. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

Yeh, trainers and rollers seem worse on tires than asphalt or cement.

5. rwinthenorth

rwinthenorth New Member

Or you could simply use up any junk tires you have lying around and save $39.95 + S&H.:D

6. grv

grv New Member

True enough!:p