Newbie Training/gearing Question

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by citrone, Sep 8, 2005.

1. citrone

citrone New Member

Am new to cycling but not to working out - do alot of pretty hard core eliptical work. Riding with my better half is not very challenging - although as new empty nesters, the outings (12-15 miles) are very enjoyable. We bought pretty inexpensive bikes to start - just to make sure we would enjoy ourselves - I believe we bought Trek 7300's. They were on sale, had 24 gears, and since neither of us had been near a bike for 20 years, they seemed like reasonable first steps. With all of my eliptical training, I occasionally love to ride standing up ( my wife thinks I look like a dork while doing this ). I can go faster and dont have to worry about "bike butt". However, whenever I do this, my speed goes way up, and my wife is left in the dust (that may or may no be interpreted as a problem). So, I now find myself making solo trips, with speed and a good workout as my objective. My question is this, when I'm in the top gear which I call 3/8, and get up to over 20 mph, I find myself wishing I had additional gears.
    I dont know anything about cycling equipment, chains, deraillers(?), gears, etc.... Is there any kind of adjustment I can make to my equipment to alter the gears? Do I need a different bicycle? Can my existing bicycle be altered to change the gears?

Tags:

2. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

I like your sense of humor. A few questions about your gearing. How many chainrings (the big gears up front) do you have and how many teeth in each? How many gears in your cluster (the little ones in back) and how many teeth in each? It's sort of a pain to count them, but it will be a standard cogset. Usually, you can figure it out by counting the largest and smallest gears and then going on the manufacturer's website to find the cluster set. For example, I have a 39/53 chainring and a 13-26 cluster. Secondly, do you have a bike computer and what kind of data does it have (speed, cadence, HR, etc.)? Third, what kind of terrain do you ride (flat, rolling, hilly, mountainous)?