NEWBIE training help...

dmskin

Jul 19, 2004
Hi,

I'm an English guy living in Amsterdam (flat as a pancake <grin>).

And new to serious cycling. Just bought a new bike with clipless attachments etc and looking to train for long distance rides.

So what is the best way to build up legs, strength, distance and speed?

Any cycle groups in Amsterdam that also allow beginners? :)

Thanks

dmskin said:
Hi,

I'm an English guy living in Amsterdam (flat as a pancake <grin>).

And new to serious cycling. Just bought a new bike with clipless attachments etc and looking to train for long distance rides.

So what is the best way to build up legs, strength, distance and speed?

Any cycle groups in Amsterdam that also allow beginners? :)

Thanks
Congrats on the new bike!
Building your strenth, speed and endurance.....well both will come from spending alot of time on your bike!!! Work really hard, challenge yourself and push yourself and all will come in time. Also riding with a group if you can find one will really help. Try asking some of the local bike shops about group rides. If you can spend any time in a gym, total body weight lifting will also help big time! Best of luck.

gotendurance said:
Congrats on the new bike!
Building your strenth, speed and endurance.....well both will come from spending alot of time on your bike!!! Work really hard, challenge yourself and push yourself and all will come in time. Also riding with a group if you can find one will really help. Try asking some of the local bike shops about group rides. If you can spend any time in a gym, total body weight lifting will also help big time! Best of luck.
Agree with most of this but if you have a partner that you can ride with, you'll benefit from going out yourselves more than on a group ride since you won't have a draft to help you along. I only do one or two group rides a week and the rest is solo or with a partner of mine. There's a huge difference in the workouts from by ourselves averaging 19-20 mph to the group ride of 22-25 mph. I find in the pack I really have to keep spinning to keep my HR up or else it drops big time.

Group riding is great though for finding your ideal partners to ride with on single days and staying motivated. Also you'll get alot better at your bike handling skills when riding with a group as well. Above all make it fun either way you go and you'll get stronger.