Newbie Training

tdl123321

Mar 26, 2006
New to cycling but really enjoying it. Oustide of riding, what are the methods training methods to improve my performance. EX: weight lifting, strething, jogging etc. I'm not look to join any races anytime soon, but would like to accelerate my conditioning so that I can ride with some of the other guys here in town. Thanks for any help.

Additionally, is there any suggested training method on the bike or just ride an enjoy. I am so new to the sport that for now I figure just about any type of riding is bound to help.

Over all conditioning will do the trick. Increase your stamina by doing cardiovascular workouts such as jogging and other arobic exercises would be your biggest gain. Lifting weights such as leg lifts and working the legs would be next. When your home ride a stationary bike will help somewhat too. For me back exercises help as well on those long trail rides

tdl123321 said:
New to cycling but really enjoying it. Oustide of riding, what are the methods training methods to improve my performance. EX: weight lifting, strething, jogging etc. I'm not look to join any races anytime soon, but would like to accelerate my conditioning so that I can ride with some of the other guys here in town. Thanks for any help.

Additionally, is there any suggested training method on the bike or just ride an enjoy. I am so new to the sport that for now I figure just about any type of riding is bound to help.
You're right that just riding your bike will help. In fact, you never really need to do any structured training at all. As you continue to ride, your comfortable pace will naturally increase. Doing longer rides will gradually improve your endurance. You may want to set a goal of riding a metric century (62 miles), or some other event this season, but you don't need to worry about speed at all.

Concentrating on enjoyment will keep you in the game longer than a lot of the type A's who stress out about average speeds and how much they are improving weekly. Suggest you go out on the group rides as soon as you build up a little endurance. Don't worry about being dropped; most all of us started out that way. Most groups welcome new riders. Our club has a "Ride a Metric" training series to help new riders build endurance for our fall 100 KM and 100 mile rides.

As far as off the bike exercise, would recommend only a routine of core strengthening and stretching to go along with your riding. Weights aren't helpful, since cycling is an aerobic endurance sport. Running helps the overall aerobic ability, but uses different muscles than cycling. Just riding your bike is the best thing you can do!