newbie trying to learn

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bob, Jan 26, 2003.

  1. Bob

    Bob Guest

    A newbie trying to learn more about bikes, biking etc. Besides this newsgroups and the forums at
    bicycling.com what other newsgroups or forums might you more experienced people recommend??

    Tags:

  2. Sparhawk

    Sparhawk Guest

    On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 00:38:16 GMT, "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >A newbie trying to learn more about bikes, biking etc. Besides this newsgroups and the forums at
    >bicycling.com what other newsgroups or forums might you more experienced people recommend??

    I don't recommend any of the bicycle newsgroups.

    Most advice that you will receive is wrong or self-serving.

    Join a bike club and check out what everyone else is riding and get something similar then ride,
    ride and ride some more.

    Sparhawk

  3. Jim Flom

    Jim Flom Guest

    >From: "Bob"
    >
    >A newbie trying to learn more about bikes, biking etc. Besides this newsgroups and the forums at
    >bicycling.com what other newsgroups or forums might you more experienced people recommend??

    http://topica.com/

  4. Rrgmrg

    Rrgmrg Guest

    Contrary to "Sparhawk", I have personally obtained loads of valuable and unbiased information and
    assistance from this newsgroup which is frequented by some real experts who are always willing to
    share their knowledge. As with any newsgroup, it has it's share of flame throwers, but in my
    experience they are minimal with this group. Ask a specific question and I'm sure that you will
    receive some good information. You could also try rec.bicycle.rides and rec.bicycles.soc. For
    product reviews try http://www.roadbikereview.com/defaultcrx.aspx and for information specifically
    geared towards "newbies" try http://www.sheldonbrown.com/beginners/index.html

    Good luck,

    Randy

    > I don't recommend any of the bicycle newsgroups.
    >
    > Most advice that you will receive is wrong or self-serving.
    >
    > Join a bike club and check out what everyone else is riding and get something similar then ride,
    > ride and ride some more.
    >
    > Sparhawk

  5. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Sparhawk" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I don't recommend any of the bicycle newsgroups.
    >
    > Most advice that you will receive is wrong or self-serving.
    >
    > Join a bike club and check out what everyone else is riding and get something similar then ride,
    > ride and ride some more.

    Oh, that seems a bit harsh.

    This newsgroup is hardly "self serving".

    Where infromation is wrong ( and I've erred here just as others) the corrected information is
    supplied promptly by our fantastic members who include a wide range of experienced and
    helpful souls.

    Is this enough? No. But r.b.t. is a good resource and, unlike some other groups, is fairly patient
    and outgoing to newbies.

    You're right that a local club is a good thing.

    And "ride, ride and ride some more" is good advice as well. But please don't be so harsh on this,
    the only civil cycling newsgroup!

  6. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

  7. Tom Paterson

    Tom Paterson Guest

    >Bob wrote:
    >> A newbie trying to learn more about bikes, biking etc. Besides this newsgroups and the forums at
    >> bicycling.com what other newsgroups or forums might you more experienced people recommend??

    (P. Biggs replied):

    >- rec.bicycles.misc
    >- Cyling Plus* and other printed magazines
    >
    >sites: http://www.sheldonbrown.com http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml
    >http://www.myra-simon.com/bike
    >
    >* UK mag but is available in the States. It's the best all-round cycling mag, imo.

    Please pardon an intrusion, Mr. Biggs.

    Suggest starting with Sheldon Brown. One could Google by subject here at .tech, too. --Tom Paterson

  8. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in news:Yb%[email protected]:

    > A newbie trying to learn more about bikes, biking etc. Besides this newsgroups and the forums at
    > bicycling.com what other newsgroups or forums might you more experienced people recommend??

    Ask your local bike shop about local recreational cycling clubs. Go on a few club rides. The club
    members will tell you all you need to know about local routes, training, equipment selection,
    repair/maintenance, etc. Newsgroups, books, magazines aren't nearly as useful.

    Ken