newbie trying to learn

Bob

Guest
A newbie trying to learn more about bikes, biking etc. Besides this newsgroups and the forums at
bicycling.com what other newsgroups or forums might you more experienced people recommend??

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 00:38:16 GMT, "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote:

>A newbie trying to learn more about bikes, biking etc. Besides this newsgroups and the forums at
>bicycling.com what other newsgroups or forums might you more experienced people recommend??

I don't recommend any of the bicycle newsgroups.

Most advice that you will receive is wrong or self-serving.

Join a bike club and check out what everyone else is riding and get something similar then ride,
ride and ride some more.

Sparhawk

>From: "Bob"
>
>A newbie trying to learn more about bikes, biking etc. Besides this newsgroups and the forums at
>bicycling.com what other newsgroups or forums might you more experienced people recommend??

http://topica.com/

Contrary to "Sparhawk", I have personally obtained loads of valuable and unbiased information and
assistance from this newsgroup which is frequented by some real experts who are always willing to
share their knowledge. As with any newsgroup, it has it's share of flame throwers, but in my
experience they are minimal with this group. Ask a specific question and I'm sure that you will
receive some good information. You could also try rec.bicycle.rides and rec.bicycles.soc. For
product reviews try http://www.roadbikereview.com/defaultcrx.aspx and for information specifically
geared towards "newbies" try http://www.sheldonbrown.com/beginners/index.html

Good luck,

Randy

"Sparhawk" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I don't recommend any of the bicycle newsgroups.
>
> Most advice that you will receive is wrong or self-serving.
>
> Join a bike club and check out what everyone else is riding and get something similar then ride,
> ride and ride some more.

Oh, that seems a bit harsh.

This newsgroup is hardly "self serving".

Where infromation is wrong ( and I've erred here just as others) the corrected information is
supplied promptly by our fantastic members who include a wide range of experienced and
helpful souls.

Is this enough? No. But r.b.t. is a good resource and, unlike some other groups, is fairly patient
and outgoing to newbies.

You're right that a local club is a good thing.

And "ride, ride and ride some more" is good advice as well. But please don't be so harsh on this,
the only civil cycling newsgroup!

>Bob wrote:
>> A newbie trying to learn more about bikes, biking etc. Besides this newsgroups and the forums at
>> bicycling.com what other newsgroups or forums might you more experienced people recommend??

(P. Biggs replied):

>- rec.bicycles.misc
>- Cyling Plus* and other printed magazines
>
>sites: http://www.sheldonbrown.com http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml
>http://www.myra-simon.com/bike
>
>* UK mag but is available in the States. It's the best all-round cycling mag, imo.

Please pardon an intrusion, Mr. Biggs.

Suggest starting with Sheldon Brown. One could Google by subject here at .tech, too. --Tom Paterson

"Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in news:Yb%[email protected]:

> A newbie trying to learn more about bikes, biking etc. Besides this newsgroups and the forums at
> bicycling.com what other newsgroups or forums might you more experienced people recommend??

Ask your local bike shop about local recreational cycling clubs. Go on a few club rides. The club
members will tell you all you need to know about local routes, training, equipment selection,
repair/maintenance, etc. Newsgroups, books, magazines aren't nearly as useful.

Ken