Newbie upgrading his groupset.. Someone walk me through this

jonathandanger

Jun 23, 2007
I feel I have reached the level of fitness and skill that I think I deserve better than Sora/Tiagra 8 speed triple parts. If I want to upgrade to 105 or Ultegra 10 speed triple, can I keep my crankset on? I'm not particularly attached to it, I just want to cut expenses a little, I'm a poor college student.

In case it makes a difference, the crank is a Truvativ ISOflow road triple, I'm not sure how many teeth...

jonathandanger said:
I feel I have reached the level of fitness and skill that I think I deserve better than Sora/Tiagra 8 speed triple parts. If I want to upgrade to 105 or Ultegra 10 speed triple, can I keep my crankset on? I'm not particularly attached to it, I just want to cut expenses a little, I'm a poor college student.

In case it makes a difference, the crank is a Truvativ ISOflow road triple, I'm not sure how many teeth...
Just as an exercise, you should go online and see what the parts you know you need will cost. Then think of this: what would it cost to get a new or good, clean used 105 bike (I think you should go to 105 if you're enjoying the sport!). My guess: $500 for excellent used. Then, what could you sell your current bike for. My guess: $300 if clean and well running.

I'd bet you'll find that buying parts is very expensive and you'd be better off trying to buy a whole new or used bike. Not to mention the time and effort and/or cost of doing the parts conversion.

jonathandanger said:

Hi.
The crankset should be fine, as long as you are upgrading to a triple. If you can afford it, go with the Ultegra, it is noticably better than 105. Are you changing out the shifters, deraillers (front and rear), and brakes (the whole shee-ban), or?

good luck!
FF

I have thought about simply buying a used 105 equipped bike, but I would have to save and buy the new bike first before selling the old one. I am planning on riding a 40 mile race in September (I think I will be in shape to race 40 miles by then). I don't want to race with Sora parts. I think if I can just upgrade the shifters and derailleurs and buy them on ebay, I could possibly get them for 300-400 dollars, and then sell the old stuff for at least 150 dollars. However, if I have to upgrade the crankset as well, then it probably would be more prudent to buy a better bike. A guy at my local bike shop said upgrading the crankset would be highly recommended, but I think he was trying to play me. I don't trust salesmen anyway. What do you guys think?

jonathandanger said:
I have thought about simply buying a used 105 equipped bike, but I would have to save and buy the new bike first before selling the old one. I am planning on riding a 40 mile race in September (I think I will be in shape to race 40 miles by then). I don't want to race with Sora parts. I think if I can just upgrade the shifters and derailleurs and buy them on ebay, I could possibly get them for 300-400 dollars, and then sell the old stuff for at least 150 dollars. However, if I have to upgrade the crankset as well, then it probably would be more prudent to buy a better bike. A guy at my local bike shop said upgrading the crankset would be highly recommended, but I think he was trying to play me. I don't trust salesmen anyway. What do you guys think?
Actually, your plan sounds pretty good as long as you have some time to spend and know which parts to look for. Hopefully, others will give you specific advice, but I think the key is to match the shifters with the derailleurs (e.g. 9 vs 10 speed).

As an alternative to playing ebay auctions, check out www.icyclesusa.com. They have pretty good discount prices on components, but it's a little hit or miss. I've purchased from them and they are good.

FriendlyFred said:
Hi.
The crankset should be fine, as long as you are upgrading to a triple. If you can afford it, go with the Ultegra, it is noticably better than 105. Are you changing out the shifters, deraillers (front and rear), and brakes (the whole shee-ban), or?

good luck!
FF
FFS Ultegra is not noticeably better than 105. If you aren't racing, go 105. It is cheaper and fine (that said, if you can find cheap ultegra, grab it) I happen to have a near complete 10 speed 105 group :D SRAM is nice, it feels race oriented. 105 and Ultegra feel very similar, but I think 105 has a better finish. They both function in nearly identical ways, and I found 105 excellent for training. Centaur/Veloce is also great stuff (and the Ultra-Torque crankset is HOT)

Good luck.

I've heard similar things about Ultegra and 105 being pretty much the same before... My older brother, who recently upgraded to a full Ultegra bike actually expressed that he preferred his old 105 setup with an Ultegra rear derailleur over his current group. I don't know about that, but I think I can buy a 9 or 10 speed Ultegra rear for between 50-75 dollars, a 105 front for cheaper than that, a cassette and chain for fairly cheap, and the 105 shifters for a solid 200-250, and then sell my old parts, that should be a pretty good solution that won't break the bank.

jonathandanger said:
I've heard similar things about Ultegra and 105 being pretty much the same before... My older brother, who recently upgraded to a full Ultegra bike actually expressed that he preferred his old 105 setup with an Ultegra rear derailleur over his current group. I don't know about that, but I think I can buy a 9 or 10 speed Ultegra rear for between 50-75 dollars, a 105 front for cheaper than that, a cassette and chain for fairly cheap, and the 105 shifters for a solid 200-250, and then sell my old parts, that should be a pretty good solution that won't break the bank.
I went to gvhbikes.com and priced brand new 105 front/rear derailleurs, ultegra triple shifters, 105 cassette, and an ultegra chain for $349 + shipping. Also, they didn't offer a 105 triple shifters, but I'm guessing that 105 shifters might be double triple compatible and if so, you can knock $56 of that price.

FWIW, current 105 front derailers are double-triple compatible.

Thanks for all the help... Is that website gvhbikes.com local or would they possibly ship to Kentucky? I couldn't find an order form anywhere...

jonathandanger said:
Thanks for all the help... Is that website gvhbikes.com local or would they possibly ship to Kentucky? I couldn't find an order form anywhere...
They'll ship to Kentucky, shipping will be about $45 to Kentucky. To order, you have to configure the 'Build Kit' you want, copy the 'Printable Version' from the bottom of the build kit page, and then just e-mail Tom telling him what you want. He'll take it from there.

jonathandanger said:
My recommendation is to get an upgraded used bike:

- Generally, you can find top notch bikes on ebay for very good prices
- Sell your used sora parts for 150$?. Ha!. Who's going to buy a used Sora part? Noone, at least not for 150$ bucks
- Upgrade parts. Yes...let's say you get the parts. Of course, you either have to upgrade the bike your self (which....takes skill) AND get the tools to do it (you think you can remove / install a crank with a common house wrench?), or take it to a shop, where they will charge you top dollars to do it (specially if you didn't buy the parts from them)
- You don;t mention your frame, but I'm sure a new frame will improve your performance on a race a LOT MORE than new front/read mesh and cranks (which, realistically, do close to nothing for you on a race)

If you're in it for the experience of upgrading parts, then by all means, do it, but if you want to get a better bike to race.....get a new/used bike.