Road Cycling · Public discussion

Newbie USCF question

Started by Trip · · Last activity · 56 posts · 2,240 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
12 September 2003
Last activity
15 September 2003
Original author
Trip
Posts
56
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,240
Views / 30 days
9

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 56
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. SPAM

  2. Ewoud Dronkert <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Trip said:

    For the real cyclists then, any comments on my original question

    Yes. I don't like to call people dumbass, but it was rather a dumb question. In general, why do
    you think the same sport might have different classes/categories to compete in? If you can think
    of only one reason, you also already have your answer.

    Exactly.

    There are no dumb questions, just dumb people.

  3. "NOT Voltaire" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<Npo8b.8115

    Quoted message said:

    Just FYI, the higher categories can "cat down" if there is sufficient reason to do so. For
    instance, someone who was a C2 in his younger years may no longer be physically able to keep up in
    the C1/2 races and just want to race the 35+ races. However, some promoters will setup the
    category as 35+ cat
    3/4 to keep out the pro-like 35+ C2 racers and give the rest of the fattie masters 35+ racers a
    chance. This guy would then petition the USCF to cat down to 3 so he could race the 35+ 3/4
    races.

    That sounds weird and (around here, one of the bigger districts, NorCal) nearly completely untrue.

    Masters 35+ around here are:

    35+ Cat. 1/2/3 35+ Cat. 4/5 Also a lot of 35+ Open Cat. There's a seldom seen 35+ 3/4/5 but no one
    would possibly cat down to a 3 from a 2 to do stuff like that.

    Preposterous!! Silly!!!

    -Ken

  4. "K. J. Papai" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "NOT Voltaire" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<Npo8b.8115

    Quoted message said:

    Just FYI, the higher categories can "cat down" if there is sufficient


    reason

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    to do so. For instance, someone who was a C2 in his younger years may no longer be physically
    able to keep up in the C1/2 races and just want to


    race

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the 35+ races. However, some promoters will setup the category as 35+


    cat

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    3/4 to keep out the pro-like 35+ C2 racers and give the rest of the


    fattie

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    masters 35+ racers a chance. This guy would then petition the USCF to


    cat

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    down to 3 so he could race the 35+ 3/4 races.

    That sounds weird and (around here, one of the bigger districts, NorCal) nearly completely untrue.

    Masters 35+ around here are:

    35+ Cat. 1/2/3 35+ Cat. 4/5 Also a lot of 35+ Open Cat. There's a seldom seen 35+ 3/4/5 but no one
    would possibly cat down to a 3 from a 2 to do stuff like that.

    Preposterous!! Silly!!!

    -Ken

    Your area is not the norm. You have many, many more really good masters riders there than anywhere
    else in the USA.

    Vol

  5. "Trip" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi Folks,

    I just joined the USCF and had a quick question about Categories that I couldn't find an answer to
    on their web site. Since I am a new member, I am a Cat V rider. I noticed in their documentation
    that you can increase your category, but you can't downgrade back to a Cat V. My question is this:
    is there any reason that someone would want to downgrade to a Cat V? Any benefits to that category
    that are not available to riders in other categories?

    Thanks for any info,

    Trip

    You expect serious answers about Cat V with a stupid moniker??

    You are either totally delusional or completely stoned.

  6. I'm just trying to avoid spam, ass-clown....er, Ken.

    Thanks so much for the helpful advice. In your little world, I'm sure it makes perfect sense. Please
    enjoy a nice, hot cup of STFU on me.

    Trip

    Ken Papai said:


    "Trip" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi Folks,

    I just joined the USCF and had a quick question about Categories that I couldn't find an answer
    to on their web site. Since I am a new member, I am a Cat V rider. I noticed in their
    documentation that you can increase your category, but you can't downgrade back to a Cat V. My
    question is this: is there any reason that someone would want to downgrade to a Cat V? Any
    benefits to that category that are not available to riders in other categories?

    Thanks for any info,

    Trip

    You expect serious answers about Cat V with a stupid moniker??

    You are either totally delusional or completely stoned.

  7. In article tww8b.428807$o%2.195424@sccrnsc02 said:

    "Trip" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi Folks,

    I just joined the USCF and had a quick question about Categories that I couldn't find an answer
    to on their web site. Since I am a new member, I am a Cat V rider. I noticed in their
    documentation that you can increase your category, but you can't downgrade back to a Cat V. My
    question is this: is there any reason that someone would want to downgrade to a Cat V? Any
    benefits to that category that are not available to riders in other categories?

    Thanks for any info,

    Trip

    You expect serious answers about Cat V with a stupid moniker??

    You are either totally delusional or completely stoned.

    And people wonder why bicycle racing remains such a minor league sport in this country. It certainly
    can't be the warm and loving reception we give new racers or the way we help new racers out with
    their questions and concerns.

  8. Casey Kerrigan said:
    In article tww8b.428807$o%2.195424@sccrnsc02 said:

    "Trip" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi Folks,

    I just joined the USCF and had a quick question about Categories that I couldn't find an answer
    to on their web site. Since I am a new member, I am a Cat V rider. I noticed in their
    documentation that you can increase your category, but you can't downgrade back to a Cat V. My
    question is this: is there any reason that someone would want to downgrade to a Cat V?

    No.

    Any benefits to that category that are not

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    available to riders in other categories?

    Since noone else will answer, there are absolutely no benefits to being a V. Get out, place, get
    some points and upgrade...... Guys who race below their ability are called sandbaggers. Hope
    this helps

  9. Amen!

    I'm happy to say that there were a few helpful people who responded, but it was definitely
    the minority.

    Good riding,

    Trip

    Casey Kerrigan said:
    In article tww8b.428807$o%2.195424@sccrnsc02 said:

    "Trip" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi Folks,

    I just joined the USCF and had a quick question about Categories that I couldn't find an answer
    to on their web site. Since I am a new member, I am a Cat V rider. I noticed in their
    documentation that you can increase your category, but you can't downgrade back to a Cat V. My
    question is this: is there any reason that someone would want to downgrade to a Cat V? Any
    benefits to that category that are not available to riders in other categories?

    Thanks for any info,

    Trip

    You expect serious answers about Cat V with a stupid moniker??

    You are either totally delusional or completely stoned.

    And people wonder why bicycle racing remains such a minor league sport in this country. It
    certainly can't be the warm and loving reception we give new racers or the way we help new racers
    out with their questions and concerns.

  10. Thanks Fred,

    Looking forward to my first USCF race in October. Hopefully I will be able to find enough races
    during the winter in my area to upgrade.

    Good riding,

    Trip

    Fred Marx said:
    Casey Kerrigan said:
    In article tww8b.428807$o%2.195424@sccrnsc02 said:

    "Trip" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    >Hi Folks,
    >
    >I just joined the USCF and had a quick question about Categories that I couldn't find an answer
    >to on their web site. Since I am a new member, I am a Cat V rider. I noticed in their
    >documentation that you can increase your category, but you can't downgrade back to a Cat V. My
    >question is this: is there any reason that someone would want to downgrade to a Cat V?

    No.

    Any benefits to that category that are not

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >available to riders in other categories?

    Since noone else will answer, there are absolutely no benefits to being a V. Get out, place, get
    some points and upgrade...... Guys who race below their ability are called sandbaggers. Hope
    this helps

  11. Casey Kerrigan said:

    And people wonder why bicycle racing remains such a minor league sport in this country. It
    certainly can't be the warm and loving reception we give new racers or the way we help new racers
    out with their questions and concerns.

    On the other hand, that racing is a minor sport certainly can't be because of rbr, either.

  12. In article said:
    Casey Kerrigan said:

    And people wonder why bicycle racing remains such a minor league sport in this country. It
    certainly can't be the warm and loving reception we give new racers or the way we help new
    racers out with their questions and concerns.

    On the other hand, that racing is a minor sport certainly can't be because of rbr, either.

    Perhaps the attitude and maturity displayed here is indicative of the whole population of bike
    racers, although the scale here is swayed towards immature people who are also not bike racers who
    like to snipe at people who are nearer the other end of that scale.

    -WG

  13. "warren" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    In article said:
    Casey Kerrigan said:

    And people wonder why bicycle racing remains such a minor league sport in this country. It
    certainly can't be the warm and loving reception


    we

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    give new racers or the way we help new racers out with their questions and concerns.

    On the other hand, that racing is a minor sport certainly can't be


    because

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    of rbr, either.

    Perhaps the attitude and maturity displayed here is indicative of the whole population of bike
    racers, although the scale here is swayed towards immature people who are also not bike racers who
    like to snipe at people who are nearer the other end of that scale.

    Or, maybe bicycle racing draws self-assured, aggressive, immature (as in young thinking)
    individuals?

    Dashii

  14. "Boyd Speerschneider" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Question #1: Is there any reason that someone would want to downgrade to a Cat V?

    Ewoud's answer: To win.

    If someone has their ass handed to them by the Cat. 4s for years, but can


    kick ass and take names in the

    Quoted message said:

    Cat. 5 races, they will probably consider downgrading. Especially as they


    enter their suburban, wife/kids,

    Quoted message said:

    house/dog, master fattydom stage. Am I moving to fast for you?


    Jesus, if someone has their ass handed to them by the Cat.4s for years, they should just
    consider quitting.

  15. "Kyle Legate" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    :"]news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:


    "Boyd Speerschneider" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Question #1: Is there any reason that someone would want to downgrade to a Cat V?

    Ewoud's answer: To win.

    If someone has their ass handed to them by the Cat. 4s for years, but can


    kick ass and take names in the

    Quoted message said:

    Cat. 5 races, they will probably consider downgrading. Especially as they


    enter their suburban, wife/kids,

    Quoted message said:

    house/dog, master fattydom stage. Am I moving to fast for you?


    Jesus, if someone has their ass handed to them by the Cat.4s for years, they should just consider
    quitting.

    Ask a silly question....

  16. "Casey Kerrigan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    And people wonder why bicycle racing remains such a minor league sport in this country. It
    certainly can't be the warm and loving reception we give new racers or the way we help new racers
    out with their questions and concerns.

    Dumbass -

    I raced and coached collegiate. Collegiate teams bring in more new racers than any USCF team.

    This isn't the real world though. This is rbr. If someone can't take a little ribbing here, there's
    little chance they have the will to handle the vagaries of pack riding.

  17. "Trip" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Amen!

    I'm happy to say that there were a few helpful people who responded, but it was definitely the
    minority.

    Good riding,

    Trip

    Stoned, Quit your Newbiw Top Posting.

    -Ken (my real name)

  18. "warren" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    In article said:
    Casey Kerrigan said:

    And people wonder why bicycle racing remains such a minor league sport in this country. It
    certainly can't be the warm and loving reception


    we

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    give new racers or the way we help new racers out with their questions and concerns.

    On the other hand, that racing is a minor sport certainly can't be


    because

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    of rbr, either.

    Perhaps the attitude and maturity displayed here is indicative of the whole population of bike
    racers, although the scale here is swayed towards immature people who are also not bike racers who
    like to snipe at people who are nearer the other end of that scale.

    -WG

    Back in the early 1980s, IIRC, the USCF had a consulting firm do a
    psychological profile of the riders it licensed. The result were less than flattering. The better
    the racer, the poorer the racer's social skills. Perhaps Casey or Les can dig up the report and
    post it for all to chuckle over.

  19. Ken (your real name)

    Keep you moronic comments to yourself. This is not your personal newsgroup, no matter how much you
    think it is (my real feelings).

    Trip (my real sig)

    Oh, and the 3rd grade practice by some in this newsgroup of assigning demeaning nicks is simply
    precious. It's sweet that you have an outlet for your bravado, because I guarantee that you wouldn't
    have the stones to say any of this to my face.

    Ken Papai said:


    "Trip" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Amen!

    I'm happy to say that there were a few helpful people who responded, but it was definitely the
    minority.

    Good riding,

    Trip

    Stoned, Quit your Newbiw Top Posting.

    -Ken (my real name)

    Quoted message said:


  20. "B. Lafferty" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:


    Back in the early 1980s, IIRC, the USCF had a consulting firm do a
    psychological profile of the riders it licensed. The result were less than flattering. The better
    the racer, the poorer the racer's social skills. Perhaps Casey or Les can dig up the report and
    post it for all to chuckle over.

    Maybe, but people like Nelson Vails did a lot of goodwill for the sport.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.