Newbie wants to do LATOJA... any thoughts?

horizondesire

Mar 28, 2006
Hey all... I am an old mountain biker who fractured his spine a few years back... I have been riding road bikes lightly. I just made the plunge and spend that I thought was a ton of cash on a new bike and just heard about LATOJA (Logan, Utah to Jackson, Wyoming). It is about 200 miles with hella hills and is expected to be a one day race. This year as I understand it, the race is on September 9.

Heres the concern. During my past few rides, at about 50 or 60 miles, all of my muscles get VERY painful and sore and suddenly stop working. I understand this is something to do with a limitation on oxygen, but dont really understand it. Is there a quick and dirty fix for this?

thx much peeps!

horizondesire said:
Hey all... I am an old mountain biker who fractured his spine a few years back... I have been riding road bikes lightly. I just made the plunge and spend that I thought was a ton of cash on a new bike and just heard about LATOJA (Logan, Utah to Jackson, Wyoming). It is about 200 miles with hella hills and is expected to be a one day race. This year as I understand it, the race is on September 9.

Heres the concern. During my past few rides, at about 50 or 60 miles, all of my muscles get VERY painful and sore and suddenly stop working. I understand this is something to do with a limitation on oxygen, but dont really understand it. Is there a quick and dirty fix for this?

thx much peeps!
What is your nutrition strategy on these rides? One bottle of water and 300 Calories every hour after the first hour.

I bet you're bonking. If you need to build to a 200 miler, increase your mileage slowly and make sure you get adequate rest.

Spunout said:
What is your nutrition strategy on these rides? One bottle of water and 300 Calories every hour after the first hour.

I bet you're bonking. If you need to build to a 200 miler, increase your mileage slowly and make sure you get adequate rest.
that makes sense; I rarely pack anything other than a camelback full of water.

ya, make sure you carry some bannana's, sandwiches, clifbars, or shots, and maybe even an enery drink. make sure you take the time to stretch too, before and after your ride and maybe even during, if you have the chance. i normally carry a bannana and a sandwich or clif bar, sometimes more. For sandwiches oyu could make pbj, hummus, i think nutella, and definitally on wheat bread. I think one of the biggest benefits from an energy drink is that it makes you want to drink because it tastes good.