Newbie wants to get front suspension fork.

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Tacomaboy, May 2, 2003.

  1. Tacomaboy

    Tacomaboy Guest

    I want to get a suspension fork for my fiance's bike, but I don't want to spend a whole lot. I see
    lots of em on ebay, but I am not sure what to look for. Soemthing entry level, but solid. Judy XC
    ok? What measurements do I need to take to determine which forks to look at? How much should I
    expect to spend? She mostly does road bikeing, but I am hoiping to get her to go off road some with
    me. She has a 17" 97 CroMo Rockhopper with no suspension. I want somethign to smooth the ride for
    her some, but be reliable and safe. Thanks yalls.

    Tags:

  2. David

    David Guest

    "TacomaBoy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I want to get a suspension fork for my fiance's bike, but I don't want to spend a whole lot. I see
    > lots of em on ebay, but I am not sure what to look for. Soemthing entry level, but solid. Judy XC
    > ok? What measurements do I need to take to determine which forks to look at? How much should I
    > expect to spend? She mostly does road bikeing, but I am hoiping to get her to go off road some
    > with me. She has a 17" 97 CroMo Rockhopper with no suspension. I want somethign to smooth the ride
    > for her some, but be reliable and safe. Thanks yalls.

    An air-sprung fork should be a good choice:
    1. She does mostly road biking, and on the road might want the pressure set high to eliminate bob.
    Some coil sprung forks work for this too--a few have lockout, and on others you might be able to
    stiffen by increasing preload. But you might not (you may have that set high already).

    2. Most coil-sprung forks come sprung for riders around 160-180lbs. If your fiance is lighter than
    that, she might not get much suspension from the stock setup. You can change the coils (I've had
    to change springs in several forks), but it's a lot simpler to adjust the air-pressure.

  3. Tacomaboy

    Tacomaboy Guest

    > An air-sprung fork should be a good choice:
    > 1. She does mostly road biking, and on the road might want the pressure
    set high
    > to eliminate bob. Some coil sprung forks work for this too--a few have
    lockout,
    > and on others you might be able to stiffen by increasing preload. But you
    might
    > not (you may have that set high already).
    >
    > 2. Most coil-sprung forks come sprung for riders around 160-180lbs. If
    your
    > fiance is lighter than that, she might not get much suspension from the
    stock setup.
    > You can change the coils (I've had to change springs in several forks),
    but it's
    > a lot simpler to adjust the air-pressure.

    She weighs about 115 or 120... I have heard good things about air sprung shocks, and I'd like to get
    my own (currently have a Manitou Magnum Coils Sprung), but aren't they quite costly?

  4. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Fri, 2 May 2003 15:57:02 -0500, TacomaBoy wrote:
    > I want to get a suspension fork for my fiance's bike, but I don't want to spend a whole lot.

    There are some reasonably good forks these days for less than $150 (maybe less than $100). They
    won't take a huge beating, but she probably won't give them one.

    As far as measurements, the main thing is the diameter of the headtube (probably 1 1/8"), as well as
    the length of the headtube, stem, and some slack if its a used fork (since they'll have already cut
    the steerer tube).

    Other things can make it a little pricey. If she doesn't have v-brakes, you'll have to replace that
    when you change to a newer fork (more money); that means either buying one of those things to make a
    v-brake work with an old lever, or replacing the brake lever (which might mean replacing the
    shifter). If she has a threaded headset, you'll probably also have to replace the headset and stem.