Newbie wheel mounting question

DAC17

Jun 6, 2008
I'm sure this is easier than I'm making it. When I take my rear wheel off for maintenance, I have a really difficult time getting it back on properly. Is there a particular oder of steps I should take to make this easier?

Thanks much.

-Before taking the wheel out shift to the big front chainring and the smallest rear cog.
-Make sure the brakes are opened up before removing or reinstalling the wheel
-It's hard to describe, but when it comes time to reinstall the wheel grab the rear derailleur and rock it back with one hand to get it out of the way and to make it easy to bring the wheel in place
- Maneuver the wheel so that the proper part of the chain (above the top derailleur pulley and coming from the top of the front chainring) settles down onto the smallest rear cog (you didn't shift anything while the wheel was out right?)
- As you bring the wheel up into the dropouts make sure the tire doesn't jam into the brake which again should be opened up as wide as it goes.

That's about it for most bikes but some short chainstay bikes can still be a hassle and you just have to muscle the wheel into place.

-Dave

Thanks. I did (or didn't do) everything you mentioned. I'll try again this morning, to see if I can get the knack.

Dave

DAC17 said:
When I take my rear wheel off for maintenance, I have a really difficult time getting it back on properly.
What kind of frame do you have?

How old/new is it?

What type of "dropouts" does the frame have?

What is the tire size that your wheels have?

It's a Specialized Crosstrail frame (61 cm). 1 year old. Sorry to be dumb, but the "dropouts" are just half moon shaped cutouts. Are there different types? Tires are 700 X 28. I did get it in fine this afternoon; it seemed to be holding the derailleur in that made the difference.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxHXreuOLFM"]YouTube - Bicycle Rear Wheel Installation[/ame]

The most important thing is to get the chain onto the same cog that it was on when you removed the wheel. Otherwise the wheel will not line up with the dropouts.