Newbie with a few mechanics questions

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by annihilus, Sep 16, 2009.

1. annihilus

annihilus New Member

Hey everyone,

This is my first post here. I have been reading the forums for about a month and have really enjoyed all of your help so far. I decided it was time to become a member and maybe contribute what i can when i can.

I just recently began using cycling as a form of exercise and enjoyment, and had a question regarding my brakes. I have a 2009 Windsor Wellington 1.0 road bike. I realize that this is not a high end bike or anything and that the parts are expected to be cheaply made, but this is what could afforded being a full time student with not a lot of finances. I got the bike on Craigslist from a reputable

My question is regarding my rear brakes. They are very loose and therefore not very effective. Can anyone link me to a good article for tightening these. Google has not been so useful so far. The second part of the question is regarding the brake lever itself for the rear brake. When applying this lever, it makes a fairly nasty squeaking noise. The other does not do this. I was just curious if anyone had experienced this and knew of a possible remedy.

Thanks in advance for providing a novice like me with the resources to learn and grow as a cyclist. I have been told that getting started is the hardest part, but so far it has just been fun.

Tags:

2. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

The best place to start is here, the Park Tool repair site.

3. annihilus

annihilus New Member

Thanks, that website has tons of information!

4. Dr_hush1417

Dr_hush1417 New Member

Yeah, that site has to be the best site out there, unless i just haven't found anything else.

I'm surprised no one has made anything better or even just as good.

But yes, I recommend that site to any starting mechanic.

5. annihilus

annihilus New Member

Thanks for the suggestion so far, I was able to tighten my brakes successfully, however I am still having issues regarding the squeaking lever. I am a bit curious if maybe there is a part that just needs to be lubricated a little.

Also, how far should the brake levers depress when engaged fully. Is this what the image with the following subtext is referring to?

URL: Park Tool Website
    Subtext: "The lever position range from fully open to fully tightened position screw"

6. guidosan

guidosan New Member

You mentioned that the brake lever has a squeak. If so, check the pivot points on the lever itself and you can lubricate there and see if that helps. Also, does it feel rough when you move the brake lever? You may want to doulbe check the brake cable to be sure the cable is not frayed inside the lever causing the squeak.
    If the squeak is actually from the wheel, then follow the park tool site and you should try to adjust the pads so the front of the pad hits the rim first. Park Tool Website

As far as how much the brake lever should move: without riding the bike engage the brakes as tight as possible and the brake lever should not touch the handlebars. (Or at the most barely touching the bars) Do this without riding the bike so you do not lock up the wheel. Plus you do not want to have too much travel so your brake lever hits the bar without engaging enough of the brake.
    Hope this makes sense.

7. annihilus

annihilus New Member

The squeaking is definitely from the brake lever for my rear wheel. Even when sitting still the squeaking noise comes from the lever being depressed. It does not feel rough as far as i can tell. It at least feels about the same as the non-squeaky lever for my front wheel. Lubricating at the pivot is probably a good idea though. At this point I am just doing some research on how to take apart the levers without damaging them.

8. guidosan

guidosan New Member

It is my understanding that these levers are not rebuildable so I would not start taking things apart. You can check the cable and the pivot point for the lever by engaging the brake lever so you can see the inside where the cable is attached. Look for anything unusual that could be rubbing. You can then at this point give a healthy spray of WD-40.
    If you are willing, you should probably start from the beginning. Depending on the condition of your current brake cable, you may want to get a new cable. (Be sure to get the road cable and not mtn bike cable) Then remove the old cable and at this point see if the lever still squeaks. If not then the problem was with the cable. If so, either blow air (Canned air for electronics is good) or WD-40 through the mechanism to dislodge what you can. If you get the noise to disappear, then install the new cable and all should be good. Remember with new cables they need to stretch, so after a few miles after your install, you may need to re-visit the adjustments.
    If you cannot get the noise to go away and without any other suggestions, then you may want to visit the LBS.
    You mentioned you got the bike used but was it through a shop? If so, they should be willing to look at it and help you out.

9. annihilus

annihilus New Member

That would explain why I have been unable to find anything on taking apart brake levers. :eek:

The brake cable and pivot joint are definitely getting my attention at this point. The brake cable should be fine, the bike has very few miles on it. Nonetheless I will probably take it off and see if the levers still make the noise. Process of elimination is always a friend. :)

I got the bike via craigslist unfortunately (and fortunately too since i love the bike), but going to the LBS isn't a bad idea anyway. They are just down the street from my university anyway.

10. guidosan

guidosan New Member

Just a quick thought. When I was in college we had a co-op bike shop on campus. Check out your University to see if they have anything. Often work is low cost and they help you understand the mechanics of things going on.

Have fun
    Guidosan

11. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

There's a lot of info on the Shimano website too:

Tech Tips:
    Tech Tips

Tech Docs:
    Shimano

For the Tech Docs just pick the bike type and the components that you have. SRAM and Campagnolo may have similar info on their site should you need it...

12. bobbyl1966

bobbyl1966 New Member

Hello how are you. how is ride your bike. I am interesting in welligton winsdor and motobecane from bikes direct. thta bikes the cheaper and the more expensive is have the same frame? Just the groupset is different? Do you stay need help how adjust the brakes?