Newbie With Disc Brakes Issue ?

Billy Onions

May 3, 2015
Hi all, just after a bit of advice as a newbie returning back to cycling after a 25 year sabatical I have recently bought a Gt Timberline 1.0 for my short commute to work and after approx. 1 month of riding I have noticed that the brakes bind a little f &r so I thought I would take a look, It would seem that when I squeeze the brake levers the pads push the disc over to the other side of the caliper / pads causing the disc to distort slightly and is this isn't what I expected I thought I would seek some advice, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Could just need adjustment or could possibly be a defective hardware or poor installation issue - either way the shop that sold you the bike should cover it under warranty.

The only issue with that is I bought it online and they're 200 miles away so really need to sort this myself

All sorted just released the cables and shimmed disc to pads the same both sides to centralise and adjyst cables back up,
Thanks for responding MotownBikeBoy

Mechanical disc brake calipers, as opposed to hydraulics, only have one pad moving, the rotor HAS to flex over for both pads to make contact.

Yours might be excessive, and needing a better setup, but you can't avoid it entirely.

Reactions: 2015fuji
Yeah, disc brakes are easy to setup and adjust. Just avoid the low-quality cheapos that are flooding the market. I've had an issue with brake calipers that I bought a couple of years ago, which were a no-name brand. They delivered terrible and abrupt braking which was a huge no-no for me, took them back to the store I got them from.

Mechanical disc brake calipers, as opposed to hydraulics, only have one pad moving, the rotor HAS to flex over for both pads to make contact.

Yours might be excessive, and needing a better setup, but you can't avoid it entirely.

Not exactly true. TRP Spyre are mechanical and both pads squeeze the rotor.