Newbie without a clue! Maintenance...

elswhere15

Mar 13, 2005
Hi,
I posted a 'newbie without...' msg on the training section a while ago and had loads of really helpful responses so thought I'd be a bit cheeky and try again with something else here:eek: I have a pretty knackered old bike and as I have essentially very little idea of just the general maintenance stuff I should know and was hoping that some of you helpful people might be able to offer a crash course in bike maintence for the unititiated! I'm thinking specifically at the moment about my chain/gears having discovered the cause of the 'my bike is making a funny noise' problem was the chain rubbing intermittently on the derailleur. I suspect that I will need to adjust it but am not too sure how to go about it. Thinking about it - the brakes are't great either...

The general cleaning up and oiling of moving parts I can probably manage.

I'm pretty reluctant to take it to the bike shop for a service since it was a second hand bike a couple of years ago & I didn't pay much for it - the service alone would probably cost at least half what I paid for it & I'd rather save the money for a new bike in a couple of months:D, besides I reckon it's probably best to learn how to fix a bike I'm less bothered about breaking!

Thanks loads

Derailleur adjustment, cleaning the drivetrain, and general maintenance is usually pretty simple, you can find a lot of information here: www.parktool.com . Also getting a good book like Zinn and the Art of Roadbike Maintenance might be helpful.

RC2 said:
Derailleur adjustment, cleaning the drivetrain, and general maintenance is usually pretty simple, you can find a lot of information here: www.parktool.com . Also getting a good book like Zinn and the Art of Roadbike Maintenance might be helpful.
Great site - Thanks :)