Scottish Roadrunner

Sep 20, 2004
Just thought I'd introduce myself, as well as being new to the forum , I'm also fairly new to cyling (started in May). I've been building up and am doing 10 miles a day (if it's not pouring with rain)
I've done some longer runs and today I'm hoping to do 30 miles. I have just recently got a Claud Butler-San Remo and it seems pretty good to me.
I've put an adjustable stem set on to raise the handle bars as I get a sore shoulder (right side) I don't know if it's because I previously had a frozen shoulder (nearly 2 years) and it's just something I have to put up with or not, but the new stem set seems to help quite a bit.
Any help or suggestions would be welcome. I'm hoping to become more consistant. My average speed started at 8.1 and the best has been 13.2 but it sems to vary a lot.
I'm hoping to get fitter thinner and faster.

Hi Margaret,

I too am new to this forum and cycling, and I think you'll enjoy it a lot. :)

What is a frozen shoulder?
Jessica

I too am new to this forum - the people seem nice, and I've already met a local member for a ride.
Welcome!

I started cycling in May also. Don't worry too much about your average speed. I've learned that the average speed depends on the type of terrain you are riding on. More hills usually equals lower average speeds.

juf2m said:
Hi Margaret,

I too am new to this forum and cycling, and I think you'll enjoy it a lot. :)

What is a frozen shoulder?
Jessica

This should explains the Frozen Shoulder . What it doesn't say is that it's very painful:(

A lining of fibrous tissue, known as a capsule, surrounds the shoulder joint. The capsule is fully stretched when the arm is raised above the head, and it hangs down as a small pouch when the arm is lowered. Frozen shoulder occurs when this lining becomes thickened and swollen.
The exact cause of frozen shoulder is not known, but it is thought that scar tissue forms in the capsule, causing it to thicken and contract. This leaves less space for the upper arm bone (humerus) to move around. Scar tissue may form for a number of reasons, such as after a minor shoulder injury or from heavy exercise, but sometimes there is no obvious cause.

Frozen shoulder is more common in women than men. This may be linked to hormonal changes, as it is particularly common around the time of the menopause.

Posture has also been linked to frozen shoulder. Some studies have shown that a consistently round-shouldered posture may cause a shortening in one of the shoulder ligaments (the band of tissue that connects the bones). Long periods of immobility, such as following surgery or an arm injury, may cause the condition to develop.