wheatm

Mar 18, 2010
hey everyone,

ima newb at cycling and was just looking for any advise or anything to help my transition into this sport.

Thanks.

Welcome !

You've definitely picked the right sport. Be ready to get addicted.

First and biggest advise, as I'm still kinda new as well, GET OUT THERE AND RIDE.

Start racking up some miles. Don't over do it, just enjoy riding first..

What got you into cycling ?

Are you doing it for fitness, pleasure ?

Good luck !

-Greg

Both fitness and pleasure.
I work out regularly and get bored with running. I've tried a lot of different things and this seems like it is fun and a good work out.
plus i have a couple of friends that ride so i could have some help.

thanks for the advice

My advice to most newbs is to do a bit research and reading first in this subsect to gain a little knowledge. After this, you'll be able to formulate some intelligent questions about what to do next.

Cycling is a sport where you have to learn by experience because your body will respond uniquely from anyone else to training stress. There are some basics, like Gman already pointed out - just go ride your bike - but from there cycling is an individualistic discipline.

I've quoted this smart person before and I'll do it again, "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach him to fish, he'll feed himself for a lifetime". My $0.02CAN worth...

*Get a bike, make sure it is right for your needs: appropriate wheels, tyres and gearing.
*Get the bike fitted for you: your fitness and taking into account any injuries and your dimensions.
*Get the right gear: shorts, gloves, glass's, well fitting helmet and a wind breaker. Then look at tops, knee warmers, leg warmers, winter jackets, cycling shoes for clipless pedals.
*Learn the basics of bike maintenance like keeping tyres at right pressure, spotting problems (like cuts in tyres or buckled wheels), how to change a tube and tyre, and keeping your chain well lubed.
*Then find some cool places to ride and once you have the hang of riding and riding safely in traffic (staying visible and signalling your intentions) then look to join with others. Your local bike store should have information on rides and groups that cycle.
*Enjoy, we do:)