Newbies and the Mont-24 hour race

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Kingsley, May 3, 2003.

  1. Kingsley

    Kingsley Guest

    How does the Mont 24-hour race (in Canberra) go with newbies ? I've never raced, and to be honest,
    never done any mountainbiking except for the odd off-road trails (no technical stuff).

    I was thinking about gettin' myself a huffy dualie (yes that's a joke) and trying to enter into an
    existing 10-person team that needs an extra.

    any thoughts or comments ?

    -kt

    Tags:

  2. Rob Woozle

    Rob Woozle Guest

    To quote a well known advertising slogan..."Just Do It!"

    2002 was my first MONT 24 hour race and it will not be my last. I was a newbie with very little
    single trail expreience and, whilst I was pretty slow, I had a great time - did four laps as part of
    a team of 6.

    The MONT attracts riders of all kinds and the best thing for me was that even the really super fast
    guys thanked you for getting out of their way and encouraged you as well.

    You won't be disappointed.

    However....after a ride around what has been built of this years course today, some singletrack
    riding would hold you in good stead.

    Do the MONT, it rocks!

    Rob

    >How does the Mont 24-hour race (in Canberra) go with newbies ? I've never raced, and to be honest,
    >never done any mountainbiking except for the odd off-road trails (no technical stuff).
    >
    >I was thinking about gettin' myself a huffy dualie (yes that's a joke) and trying to enter into an
    >existing 10-person team that needs an extra.
    >
    >any thoughts or comments ?
    >
    >-kt

  3. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    [email protected] (Rob Woozle) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > To quote a well known advertising slogan..."Just Do It!"
    >
    > 2002 was my first MONT 24 hour race and it will not be my last. I was a newbie with very little
    > single trail expreience and, whilst I was pretty slow, I had a great time - did four laps as part
    > of a team of 6.
    >
    > The MONT attracts riders of all kinds and the best thing for me was that even the really super
    > fast guys thanked you for getting out of their way and encouraged you as well.
    >
    > You won't be disappointed.
    >
    > However....after a ride around what has been built of this years course today, some singletrack
    > riding would hold you in good stead.
    >
    > Do the MONT, it rocks!
    >
    > Rob
    >

    > >How does the Mont 24-hour race (in Canberra) go with newbies ? I've never raced, and to be
    > >honest, never done any mountainbiking except for the odd off-road trails (no technical stuff).
    > >
    > >I was thinking about gettin' myself a huffy dualie (yes that's a joke) and trying to enter into
    > >an existing 10-person team that needs an extra.
    > >
    > >any thoughts or comments ?
    > >
    > >-kt

    Where would i find out more about the "MONT 24 hour race". Just started riding as well with a few
    mates and this sounds intriguing

    Jeff

  4. Coss.

    Coss. Guest

    Jeff

    Check this site. http://www.longrides.net

    Coss Jeff <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (Rob Woozle) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > To quote a well known advertising slogan..."Just Do It!"
    > >
    > > 2002 was my first MONT 24 hour race and it will not be my last. I was a
    newbie
    > > with very little single trail expreience and, whilst I was pretty slow,
    I had a
    > > great time - did four laps as part of a team of 6.
    > >
    > > The MONT attracts riders of all kinds and the best thing for me was that
    even
    > > the really super fast guys thanked you for getting out of their way and encouraged you as well.
    > >
    > > You won't be disappointed.
    > >
    > > However....after a ride around what has been built of this years course
    today,
    > > some singletrack riding would hold you in good stead.
    > >
    > > Do the MONT, it rocks!
    > >
    > > Rob
    > >

    > > >How does the Mont 24-hour race (in Canberra) go with newbies ? I've never raced, and to be
    > > >honest, never done any mountainbiking except for the odd off-road trails (no technical stuff).
    > > >
    > > >I was thinking about gettin' myself a huffy dualie (yes that's a joke) and trying to enter into
    > > >an existing 10-person team that needs an extra.
    > > >
    > > >any thoughts or comments ?
    > > >
    > > >-kt
    >
    > Where would i find out more about the "MONT 24 hour race". Just started riding as well with a few
    > mates and this sounds intriguing
    >
    > Jeff

  5. Coss.

    Coss. Guest

    After reading all the stuff about the 24 I'm in. We have half a team, just the other half to go.

    news:[email protected]...