newbie's bottom hurts

dob56

May 12, 2014
Hi ladies, I just recently started cycling (little over 4 weeks now) and I need y'all to lead me to the right place for padded bottom pants.

I'm riding off-road trails. I bought a gel padded seat, it helped a bit, but it's not enough. I thought I'd get used to the pain, or that my butt needed to be broken in, but it's not getting any better yet.

I live in a rural area and the nearest privately owned bike shop is an hour drive away and they don't carry much clothing. There are a few franchised sporting good stores, Dicks, BassPro, Cavendars, and probably some others I don't know of.

Online and brick and mortar recommendations are highly appreciated.

Thanks!

I am just returning to biking my self. I have been trying to do research into the type of bike I want. I have been on many of the manufacture websites. Most of them have clothing listed. You could do some online research to see if there are any that seem really good. Then look to see where they are sold in your area. If a store carries part of their line, they might be able to get you something else in.

Good luck!

Thanks MrsPotsy

I ended up checking every brick and mortar in town. There was only one store that carried cycling shorts for women. I bought a pair that has an extra gel padding chamois. They helped a lot, thank goodness!

Not many choices for women on-line either but I learned of one shop from reading around here.

Happy Trails!

That's great news! Happy Cycling...now
big-smile.png

I don't know anything about bicycling pants, but I would recommend changing the angle of your seat to see if that helps. Underneath the seat there is a bolt which you can loosen and change the angle. I just recently purchased a new bike and the seat was extremely uncomfortable on my bottom. I tilted the seat forward a small amount and it did wonders for the comfort!

It is best to try out the seat with some extra fittings. I do believe there can be nothing better than trying out a good seat and enjoying the ride.

The first thing that I would do is invest in a great seat cover. Seat covers are available at any cycling store as well as Walmart and Amazon.com. I tried pair after pair of padded shorts as a newbie and none worked for me. My seat cover felt like a gift from heaven. It might be a good idea to go to your local bike shop and see if they can help you achieve a more comfortable ride.

I have these gel covers for my seat. It was works wonders but before that make sure you gave the right seat fie your bottom. More often than not that's the reason. Also move about ad much as possible.

I have these gel covers for my seat. It was works wonders but before that make sure you gave the right seat fie your bottom. More often than not that's the reason. Also move about as much as possible.

I have these gel covers for my seat. It was works wonders but before that make sure you gave the right seat fie your bottom. More often than not that's the reason. Also move about as much as possible.

What a relief! I have a really boney butt so I thought I was just going to have to deal with it! These tips sound great!!

What a relief! I have a really boney butt so I thought I was just going to have to deal with it! These tips sound great!!

I believe that happens once in a while. I do think it should get going with lots of practice. The more you practice , the better it will be for you.

I am new to cycling. I've also run into this problem. It makes me not want to go out the next day but i know training is Imperative. I've been to all the sports stores around but haven't found anything that suits me. I tried EBay and found some great pants they had extra padding in them. Not sure if that seller is on there but I typed "women's bicycle pant" in and found them. They helped me you might want to also try Amazon.

Thank you,
Eileen100

Ride the pain out (no pun intended). This happens to a lot of cyclists but with time, it goes away. I don't know if your bum adjusts to the seat, or the seat adjusts to your bum. Either way, it shouldn't be a problem for too long. If it is, then padded bum shorts!

I always have this problem when I start riding after taking a break for a while no matter what kind of seat im riding or what I am wearing, my butt always kills but I find the more I ride the better it gets. After a few days it stops hurting and the seat no longer hurts me.

My girlfriend had some bottom pain issues when she first started cycling, too. I think she went with a gel seat, but I believe the cushioned shorts were annoying for her to wear. I'm glad you found something that worked for you, and my girlfriend's pains did go away after a few more days of cycling, thank goodness.

I also get painful bottoms when I begin to engage in biking from a long vacation. It is normal especially when I have company in biking so I get to adjust to their pacing. Well, muscle pains can always be cured by salve or balm. But my personal advise is for beginners to take it easy and don't put much pressure on your bottom.