Newbie's first day down, now a couple of questions...

amatod

Aug 17, 2006
I just bought a Trek 5000 from a buddy who road it 2x and said cycling was not for him... I couldn't pass, as the price was fine, and I have been looking the past couple of weaks for a bike and jumped... I had it fitted yesterday, and today road about 15 miles to familiarize myself with it, and cycling in general... I don't have a friend near me to coach me the first couple of times through, so I'm asking you guys.... Wow what a different world it is from my old Trek mountain bike that I rode a mile or two to class in college..... But there are several questions that I now have after one day of riding..

1. My hands really seem to get numb.... I am changing positions alot to alleviate the pain and or numbness, but I must be putting too much weight on them?? Or do I just need to get used to it?? Would gloves help, or are they just for better grip?? I'm really hoping this will get better, and not make me regret purchasing this bike as opposed to the Pilot series, it being more upright.....

2. I really seem to be on the verge of disaster every time I stop and dismount the bike... It just seems so high to me... When I'm stopped, my feet hardly touch the ground, and I'm very unstable when not moving.. obviosly becuase I can hardly touch the ground... In my mountain bike or any other bike I've ever ridden for that matter, when stopped I could be pretty much flat footed or close to it and stable to just stand for a while... Not so with this road bike, is that just the way it is, or am I doing something wrong????

Other than that, I really enjoyed it and would like to get into it, but I want to know and feel that I am doing it correctly and safely, for myself and anyone near me when I do fall getting on and of this thing......

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.... It is exceptionally intimidating to get into this from scratch, as everyone I see doing this looks so proficient and experienced......

Firstly take your bike down to your local bike shop and get them to fit you out. They'll be able to tell straight away whether you are in a reasonably good position, you might want to change something later on down the track, height of your seat, move your seat forward, position of your bars, etc.

After that, when you're on your bike, try to relax your arms. Don't have them locked in, that should alleviate pressure on your elbows, and hopefully your hands. Proper fitting should as well.
As for falling off, practise dismounting. It's not a good idea to head out to your local business district to try and dismount, at a red light. Thats bound for trouble. Also, don't dismount from the saddle, get up and on to your feet, that way you can bend your knees and bring your feet closer to the ground. Only unclip one foot, if you have clipless style shoes, then use that foot on the road.

Stability is an artform on a road bike, which takes quite a bit of practise if you're not used to it. However, the more time you spend on the bike, the easier it will be.

Good luck ;)

Dito Alias's suggestions,
Dont underestimate the local bike shops experience,get a good relationship going there and it will solve plenty of problems,
My advice to new Bikers
Gloves are a must have,Cycling shorts may look funny but they work,clip ins are mastered faster than you think and a helmit is not just for woosies.
Happy cycling:)

I went through the numb fingers thing when I first got my road bike. I went to the local shop. They fitted the bike to me, and I've had no problems since then.