Newbies

vincentstark

Aug 27, 2011
I'n new to this site so if I've posted this in the wrong place I apoligise. OK my question for anyone who wants to help. I haven't ridden a bike regularly in many many years - I'm 45 now and am going to take up cycling. I want to use my bike for around town as well as some mountain tracks leading to farms etc - but nothing too remote. I am thinking along the lines of a hybrid and want to spend, for my first bike, around £200 - if I stick with the hobby I'll buy a more expensive one later. Any advice on models? Can I get something decent for around the 200 mark? Should I go with an hybrid or a mountain bike?

Welcome aboard, Vincent!

For riding both off-road and on-road a hybrid would probably be a good choice for you. You would want to make sure that it comes with tires that are designed for both applications.

You might want to visit some of the shops in your area just to see what they have available in your price range, and test ride as many different models as you can. That will help you determine what size you need and what brand of bike you like the best.

You should also look at used bikes, you can often get a better used bike than a new one for the same money...