Newb's and Slime - The follow up - or when good slime goes bad

Wyldkat

Guest
This is the second in my posts about slime and tubeless tires. I have a very nice set of Specialized
S-Works Rockster tires that have always been quite difficult to install on my Crossroc wheels, and
they seemed to develop a ton of tiny pinholes last time I used them. I figured these would be great
candidates for the slime test. I started off with the rear wheel, got it seated and installled no
problem with a CO2 cartridge, I even gave it a couple days to settle in, the results, a perfectly
good tire, no air leakage at all, damn this stuff works great. I still had some lingering doubts as
to how much fun it was going to be to switch tires, but for now this is working fine. On to the
front wheel, seeing as I was out of CO2 cartridges, and I know these things will not seat with a
hand pump I put the front wheel in the back seat and went down to the corner gas station. They have
one of those little compressor thingys that you push a button on to activate, and as usual the
pressure gauge is next to useless, but for what I am doing that shouldnt be a problem right. I just
wanted to get the tire seated on the wheel, checking pressure could be done later with a proper
gauge. It took a couple tries to get it to hold air, but finally it did. Great, two slimed wheels
with great tires all set to go riding on a beautiful Sunday morning. I drove home to get the rest of
my bike and riding gear. I just got out of the car, closed the front door and was reaching to open
the back door to get the wheel when........BOOM!! Yep, pressure might have been a little high in
that wheel. The tire neatly unseated itself from the rim, and about 1/2 the contents of slime in the
wheel got splattered over the interior of the car. There's green $hit everywhere, on the ceiling,
seats, windows, you name it. Think of the exploding head scene in Pulp Fiction (back seat of the
Nova) only this was an alien head full of neon green stuff instead. So now the question, do I reseat
the tire and go riding, or clean the car?

Wyldkat

Take the car home leave it .Go riding when you get back the slime will have dried and now is not
going to come off. So you didn't lose any thing .Or maybe while your go your wife if your
married will want to go some were .She will see the mess clean it up and your off the hook for
cleaning the car .
PS don't go home if you do the later one till she a sleep Or she will KILL You for trashing the
family car.
PPS after a couple days tell her that's why you need a compressor.

--
J/O Trailblazer At large !!

Jamie wrote:
> Take the car home leave it .Go riding when you get back the slime will have dried and now is not
> going to come off. So you didn't lose any thing .Or maybe while your go your wife if your married
> will want to go some were .She will see the mess clean it up and your off the hook for cleaning
> the car .
> PS don't go home if you do the later one till she a sleep Or she will KILL You for trashing the
> family car.
> PSS after a couple days tell her that's why you need a compressor.

Dude, what language is that?

Greg

"Wyldkat" <[email protected]> wrote
>. tires that have always been quite difficult to install on my Crossroc wheels, and they seemed to
>develop a ton of tiny pinholes last time I used them.
[...]
> these things will not seat with a hand pump
[...]
> It took a couple tries to get it to hold air, but finally it did.

Is it just me, or are tubless tires perhaps the stupidest bicycling invention since Biopace?

> I just got out of the car, closed the front door and was reaching to open the back door to get the
> wheel when........BOOM!!

Oh, man. What an image!

CC

[email protected] (Corvus Corvax) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Wyldkat" <[email protected]> wrote
> >. tires that have always been quite difficult to install on my Crossroc wheels, and they seemed
> >to develop a ton of tiny pinholes last time I used them.
> [...]
> > these things will not seat with a hand pump
> [...]
> > It took a couple tries to get it to hold air, but finally it did.
>
> Is it just me, or are tubless tires perhaps the stupidest bicycling invention since Biopace?

Obviously, you do not own a tubEless set of wheels. So yeah, it is just you. Nate ;)