Newby-Bacchetta Cafe'?

ChristineW

Sep 24, 2005
Hi,
I have just returned to cycling after a very long absense. I have been riding with a local bike group and have become very interested in recumbents. I am short (5'0) and my x-seam is 35. I recently got to try a Bacchetta Cafe'. It fit me great and I was impressed. My main goal is comfort and to someday be able to stay up with the rest of the group.:) (They are wonderful and always send people back to ride with me). We do a lot of hills and my goal is to do some touring.
I do not have a lot of money but am willing to save up. I do not want to be growing out of bikes. Whatever bent I get will need to last me a while.
Is there anybody here that has ridden a Bacchetta Cafe? How does it compare with other bents that you have ridden??

The Cafe is a pretty new model. I have yet to see one in person. About all I can do is generalize from the picture and published specs. I'd classify it as a compact, and compacts tend to be a bit on the slow side. However, it has a large drive wheel and more reclined seat than most of the others of the genre, so I'd expect it's speed to be nearly on par with a 'sport' recumbent such as a V-Rex or a Hep Cat. The longer wheelbase will give you a bit smoother ride and tame the feeling of twitchiness that newbies can have. My biggest concern would be the 22" seat height, which is probably a bit of a reach for you.

Overall it looks like a good package at a good price. But before you go out and buy one, make sure you test ride others. The rule of thumb is to test ride everything you can get your hands on, even if you 'know' you can't afford it or that you won't like it. Ya never know... At your height, you should look into a TourEasy; especially if you have in interest in touring.

blazingpedals said:
The Cafe is a pretty new model. I have yet to see one in person. About all I can do is generalize from the picture and published specs. I'd classify it as a compact, and compacts tend to be a bit on the slow side. However, it has a large drive wheel and more reclined seat than most of the others of the genre, so I'd expect it's speed to be nearly on par with a 'sport' recumbent such as a V-Rex or a Hep Cat. The longer wheelbase will give you a bit smoother ride and tame the feeling of twitchiness that newbies can have. My biggest concern would be the 22" seat height, which is probably a bit of a reach for you.

Overall it looks like a good package at a good price. But before you go out and buy one, make sure you test ride others. The rule of thumb is to test ride everything you can get your hands on, even if you 'know' you can't afford it or that you won't like it. Ya never know... At your height, you should look into a TourEasy; especially if you have in interest in touring.
Thank you for replying to my message. I will take your advice and try some others. I haven't heard of the TourEasy-I will look it up.

The Cafe looks like a very interesting, comfortable, and fairly quick bike, with a good price. I think Baccetta has the right idea in getting into this price range, which should encourage more people to become first-time bent owners.

Search for recumbent on eBay. There is a small frame Giro 20 for sale there now. The Giro is a bit more upscale and is supposed to be good for touring. My GF has one and loves it.

She has a 38" E-seam and is 5' 5.5". Check the Bacchetta website for fit chart, however, I seem to remember that you should fit a Giro 20.