Newby question about intervals

KEEBLER

May 28, 2003
Hello everyone!

I have a question concerning interval training with power.

I am currently working on my base since the beginning of feb doing very light watt intervals riding at X amount of watts and then 5 intervals for three minutes at a X watts all being under a 100 watts(embarrasing for this forum, butt thats why i'm training)

The intervals are only to keep me from being bored on the trainer!

I plan on doing this until the end of march, and then in april starting a training program which will help me push higher Watts for a longer period of time. I have 3 to 4 days for training for an hour each day(unfortunately do not have more time due to job faimily and so on..)

I was planning on something like this:

Monday-easy riding at a watt that keeps me in my aerobic zone for an hour.

Tuesday- pushing high watts to simulat hill training 5 X5min intervals, or a watt that i can only hold for two minutes and staying at this until i can do 5 minute intervals. with 5 minute recovery in between intervals(is this too long??)

Wedensday- easy ride like on monday

Thursday- tt work doing 3 x10 minute intervals and 5 minute recovey in between

Friday off

Sat off

Sun- ride outside for an hour or two

Any idea or thoughts and what is the best way to tell if im pushing the correct amount of Watts

Thanks for your time, any info would be greatly appreciated :)))

what are you using to measure watts?
i think you are doing more watts than you think, maybe the meter is off or something. 100watts won't even get you over hills over 3%(unless maybe you are doing them at walking speed)

there are some hills around here that require 500watts just to go 6mph (i weigh 77kgs)

Originally posted by velomanct
what are you using to measure watts?
i think you are doing more watts than you think, maybe the meter is off or something. 100watts won't even get you over hills over 3%(unless maybe you are doing them at walking speed)

there are some hills around here that require 500watts just to go 6mph (i weigh 77kgs)

I am just using a tacx basic turbo trainer. I am relatively new to cycling, and therefore not sure if its my legs or the meter

Thanks
Chris

P.S. Sorry it took so long to reply( been on vacation)

i am willing to bet the trainer is under-reading power.
your weekly plan looks good. try to be consitent and listen your body, don't be afraid to take a rest/recovery day.