Newby question: Giant Iguana

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Carsten Dittric, Aug 8, 2003.

  1. Hi alltogether,

    I am a beginner and today I've bought a Giant IGUANA bike with the following components:

    color ONCE Yellow/Silver Bright Red size 14", 17", 19", 21", 23" frame Supersized ALUXX butted
    aluminum, integrated gusset, XTC geometry, Disc brake mount fork Rock Shock Pilot C w/alloy steer
    tube, 3.1" travel derailleur Front: Shimano Alivio, Rear: Shimano Deore derailleurshifters Shimano
    Deore, 9-speed cranks Giant, 22/32/44T pedals Steel w/ resin body, toe clips and straps handlebar
    Alloy 1.25" riser stem Giant 1 1/8 Ahead headset Integrated Ahead 1 1/8" levers Avid AD3 brakes
    Alloy direct pull w/ power control saddle Giant Groove, DOUBLE DENSITY MTB with Kevlar bumpers
    seatpost Giant Alloy micro-adjust, 27.2, QR Seat lever rims Alex, black, doublewall, 36H w/ CNC
    sidewall hubs Alloy, QR, 36H casette tires Hutchinson Mosquito 26x2.0 cassette SRAM 7.0, 11-34T,
    9-speed spokes Stainless Steel 14G additional Chainguard

    I am not quite sure if it was the right decision to buy this bike because I am not quite sure if the
    components are all rigth according to the price I payed (600 EUR). Has anyone of you this bike and
    and / or can give me some advice or opinion on it?

    Thanx in advance Claudia

    Tags:

  2. Sdc

    Sdc Guest

    "Carsten Dittrich" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi alltogether,
    >
    > I am a beginner and today I've bought a Giant IGUANA bike with the following components:

    Claudia,

    People are going to jump on you for posting that. Its better to ask before you buy the bike...and
    even then you will be told to buy what you like, what fits you and your budget...after trying out a
    few bikes.

    Just ride it a lot and enjoy it. Maybe you paid a bit too much...who cares...you don't want to know
    that someone thinks you overpaid for a crappy bike, it'll just make you feel bad.

    So if I were you...I would not come back to read postings to your thread here.

    just have fun.

  3. Jack

    Jack Guest

    "Carsten Dittrich" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi alltogether,
    >
    > I am a beginner and today I've bought a Giant IGUANA bike with the following components:
    >
    > color ONCE Yellow/Silver Bright Red size 14", 17", 19", 21", 23" frame Supersized ALUXX butted
    > aluminum, integrated gusset, XTC geometry, Disc brake mount fork Rock Shock Pilot C w/alloy steer
    > tube, 3.1" travel derailleur Front: Shimano Alivio, Rear: Shimano Deore derailleurshifters Shimano
    > Deore, 9-speed cranks Giant, 22/32/44T pedals Steel w/ resin body, toe clips and straps handlebar
    > Alloy 1.25" riser stem Giant 1 1/8 Ahead headset Integrated Ahead 1 1/8" levers Avid AD3 brakes
    > Alloy direct pull w/ power control saddle Giant Groove, DOUBLE DENSITY MTB with Kevlar bumpers
    > seatpost Giant Alloy micro-adjust, 27.2, QR Seat lever rims Alex, black, doublewall, 36H w/ CNC
    > sidewall hubs Alloy, QR, 36H casette tires Hutchinson Mosquito 26x2.0 cassette SRAM 7.0, 11-34T,
    > 9-speed spokes Stainless Steel 14G additional Chainguard
    >
    > I am not quite sure if it was the right decision to buy this bike because I am not quite sure if
    > the components are all rigth according to the price I payed (600 EUR). Has anyone of you this bike
    > and and / or can give me some advice or opinion on it?
    >
    > Thanx in advance Claudia

    That's a solid bike for XC riding. I'd be more worried about get it sized right than the bike cost
    or components.

  4. Well done!

    "Carsten Dittrich" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi alltogether,
    >
    > I am a beginner and today I've bought a Giant IGUANA bike with the following components:
    >
    > color ONCE Yellow/Silver Bright Red size 14", 17", 19", 21", 23" frame Supersized ALUXX butted
    > aluminum, integrated gusset, XTC geometry, Disc brake mount fork Rock Shock Pilot C w/alloy steer
    > tube, 3.1" travel derailleur Front: Shimano Alivio, Rear: Shimano Deore derailleurshifters Shimano
    > Deore, 9-speed cranks Giant, 22/32/44T pedals Steel w/ resin body, toe clips and straps handlebar
    > Alloy 1.25" riser stem Giant 1 1/8 Ahead headset Integrated Ahead 1 1/8" levers Avid AD3 brakes
    > Alloy direct pull w/ power control saddle Giant Groove, DOUBLE DENSITY MTB with Kevlar bumpers
    > seatpost Giant Alloy micro-adjust, 27.2, QR Seat lever rims Alex, black, doublewall, 36H w/ CNC
    > sidewall hubs Alloy, QR, 36H casette tires Hutchinson Mosquito 26x2.0 cassette SRAM 7.0, 11-34T,
    > 9-speed spokes Stainless Steel 14G additional Chainguard
    >
    > I am not quite sure if it was the right decision to buy this bike because I am not quite sure if
    > the components are all rigth according to the price I payed (600 EUR). Has anyone of you this bike
    > and and / or can give me some advice or opinion on it?
    >
    > Thanx in advance Claudia

  5. Marty

    Marty Guest

    "Carsten Dittrich" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi alltogether,
    >
    > I am a beginner and today I've bought a Giant IGUANA bike with the following components:
    >
    > color ONCE Yellow/Silver Bright Red size 14", 17", 19", 21", 23" frame Supersized ALUXX butted
    > aluminum, integrated gusset, XTC geometry, Disc brake mount fork Rock Shock Pilot C w/alloy steer
    > tube, 3.1" travel derailleur Front: Shimano Alivio, Rear: Shimano Deore derailleurshifters Shimano
    > Deore, 9-speed cranks Giant, 22/32/44T pedals Steel w/ resin body, toe clips and straps handlebar
    > Alloy 1.25" riser stem Giant 1 1/8 Ahead headset Integrated Ahead 1 1/8" levers Avid AD3 brakes
    > Alloy direct pull w/ power control saddle Giant Groove, DOUBLE DENSITY MTB with Kevlar bumpers
    > seatpost Giant Alloy micro-adjust, 27.2, QR Seat lever rims Alex, black, doublewall, 36H w/ CNC
    > sidewall hubs Alloy, QR, 36H casette tires Hutchinson Mosquito 26x2.0 cassette SRAM 7.0, 11-34T,
    > 9-speed spokes Stainless Steel 14G additional Chainguard
    >
    > I am not quite sure if it was the right decision to buy this bike because I am not quite sure if
    > the components are all rigth according to the price I payed (600 EUR). Has anyone of you this bike
    > and and / or can give me some advice or opinion on it?
    >
    > Thanx in advance Claudia

    Welcome to the "club". My sympathies. Your best bet is to get out and ride it now. You'll figure out
    quickly enough whether you made a good buy or not.

    Marty

  6. MTBScottie

    MTBScottie Guest

    "SDC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Carsten Dittrich" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi alltogether,
    > >
    > > I am a beginner and today I've bought a Giant IGUANA bike with the following components:
    >
    > Claudia,
    >
    > People are going to jump on you for posting that. Its better to ask before you buy the bike...and
    > even then you will be told to buy what you like, what fits you and your budget...after trying out
    > a few bikes.
    >
    > Just ride it a lot and enjoy it. Maybe you paid a bit too much...who cares...you don't want to
    > know that someone thinks you overpaid for a crappy bike, it'll just make you feel bad.
    >
    > So if I were you...I would not come back to read postings to your thread here.
    >
    > just have fun.

    On the contrary, there are people here who can't seem to reply to people in a respectful manner, no
    matter what the situation, so come back, read the replies, and tell those who answer to you
    negatively to

    Now then, trust in the fact that when you buy a Giant such as the Iguana or Rainier that you are
    getting alot of bike for the money you paid. The components are of course not top of the line, but
    they are enough to get you started and excited about the sport. The only thing I may have
    recommended to you, had you asked before the purchase, was to buy the Iguana disc, just because I
    swear by disc brakes. Other than that, you have purchased a bike from a manufacturer who stands by
    their frames and offers excellent customer service if/when needed. Enjoy your bike!

  7. > Now then, trust in the fact that when you buy a Giant such as the Iguana or Rainier that you are
    > getting alot of bike for the money you paid. The components are of course not top of the line, but
    > they are enough to get you started and excited about the sport. The only thing I may have
    > recommended to you, had you asked before the purchase, was to buy the Iguana disc, just because I
    > swear by disc brakes. Other than that, you have purchased a bike from a manufacturer who stands by
    > their frames and offers excellent customer service if/when needed. Enjoy your bike!

    Absolutely. I have a Giant XTC that I wish I hadn't bought... it's so good that I don't feel I'm
    worthy of it. I wish I had bought a Rainier instead because it would have been half the price...
    It's been damn good - I'd expect no less than the best from Giant.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  8. <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Now then, trust in the fact that when you buy a Giant such as the Iguana or Rainier that you are
    > getting alot of bike for the money you paid. The components are of course not top of the line, but
    > they are enough to get you started and excited about the sport. The only thing I may have
    > recommended to you, had you asked before the purchase, was to buy the Iguana disc, just because I
    > swear by disc brakes. Other than that, you have purchased a bike from a manufacturer who stands by
    > their frames and offers excellent customer service if/when needed. Enjoy your bike!

    After doing my homework for a couple of months and by lurking here and SoCal message boards, I
    purchased *my* Iguana Disc last night and think it's great so far. My first real ride this
    Sunday....can't wait!

    The best bike since my 1973 5-speed Schwinn Collegiate "Sport" in Campus Green! :)

    OCCarl

  9. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "SDC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Carsten Dittrich" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi alltogether,
    > >
    > > I am a beginner and today I've bought a Giant IGUANA bike with the following components:
    >
    > Claudia,
    >
    > People are going to jump on you for posting that. Its better to ask before you buy the bike...and
    > even then you will be told to buy what you like, what fits you and your budget...after trying out
    > a few bikes.
    <snip>

    If someone bought a fully decked custom bike and asked for post-purchase approval, it would still be
    just as lame as asking about a cookie cutter.

    BTW, wasn't Godzilla a giant iguana?

    JD

  10. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "OrangeCountyCarl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<wM%[email protected]>... <snip another giant commercial as stated
    by howdy doody>
    > After doing my homework for a couple of months and by lurking here and SoCal message boards, I
    > purchased *my* Iguana Disc last night and think it's great so far. My first real ride this
    > Sunday....can't wait!

    First real ride where in OC? I would imagine just about anywhere you go it'll be bumper to bumper
    on a Sunday.

    > The best bike since my 1973 5-speed Schwinn Collegiate "Sport" in Campus Green! :)

    I hope you still have that bike.

    JD

  11. MTBScottie

    MTBScottie Guest

    "OrangeCountyCarl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<wM%[email protected]>...
    > > Now then, trust in the fact that when you buy a Giant such as the Iguana or Rainier that you are
    > > getting alot of bike for the money you paid. The components are of course not top of the line,
    > > but they are enough to get you started and excited about the sport. The only thing I may have
    > > recommended to you, had you asked before the purchase, was to buy the Iguana disc, just because
    > > I swear by disc brakes. Other than that, you have purchased a bike from a manufacturer who
    > > stands by their frames and offers excellent customer service if/when needed. Enjoy your bike!
    >
    > After doing my homework for a couple of months and by lurking here and SoCal message boards, I
    > purchased *my* Iguana Disc last night and think it's great so far. My first real ride this
    > Sunday....can't wait!
    >
    > The best bike since my 1973 5-speed Schwinn Collegiate "Sport" in Campus Green! :)
    >
    > OCCarl

    You will never want to own anything but disc brakes from now on.....

  12. Super Slinky

    Super Slinky Guest

    Carsten Dittrich said...

    > Hi alltogether,
    >
    > I am a beginner and today I've bought a Giant IGUANA bike with the following components:

    > I am not quite sure if it was the right decision to buy this bike because I am not quite sure if
    > the components are all rigth according to the price I payed (600 EUR). Has anyone of you this bike
    > and and / or can give me some advice or opinion on it?
    >
    > Thanx in advance Claudia

    Nice beginner bike and the price seems about right. Make sure you get as much free service as
    possible from the bike shop you bought it from.

  13. MTBScottie

    MTBScottie Guest

    "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<yC%[email protected]>...
    > > Now then, trust in the fact that when you buy a Giant such as the Iguana or Rainier that you are
    > > getting alot of bike for the money you paid. The components are of course not top of the line,
    > > but they are enough to get you started and excited about the sport. The only thing I may have
    > > recommended to you, had you asked before the purchase, was to buy the Iguana disc, just because
    > > I swear by disc brakes. Other than that, you have purchased a bike from a manufacturer who
    > > stands by their frames and offers excellent customer service if/when needed. Enjoy your bike!
    >
    > Absolutely. I have a Giant XTC that I wish I hadn't bought... it's so good that I don't feel I'm
    > worthy of it. I wish I had bought a Rainier instead because it would have been half the price...
    > It's been damn good - I'd expect no less than the best from Giant.

    I have had the opportunity to buy a 2002 NRS 1 from a local shop for $1500 for quite some time now.
    Still thinking about it, although I'm sure you will agree it's quite a deal to pass up.

  14. MTBScottie

    MTBScottie Guest

    > "SDC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "Carsten Dittrich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Hi alltogether,
    > > >
    > > > I am a beginner and today I've bought a Giant IGUANA bike with the following components:
    > >
    > > Claudia,
    > >
    > > People are going to jump on you for posting that. Its better to ask before you buy the
    > > bike...and even then you will be told to buy what you like, what fits you and your
    > > budget...after trying out a few bikes.
    > <snip>
    >
    > If someone bought a fully decked custom bike.....

    Hump away, humpy!

  15. Im intrested to know what discs come on the Iguana. also was it a 2003 model or 2004 model iguana ?
    also what shocks came on it.

    I bought a 2004 Yukon i had my heart set on the iguana disc in the 2004 model my lbs hadnt had word
    on them yet. i believed them.

    cheers

  16. <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<yC%[email protected]>...
    > > > Now then, trust in the fact that when you buy a Giant such as the Iguana or Rainier that you
    > > > are getting alot of bike for the money you paid. The components are of course not top of the
    > > > line, but they are enough to get you started and excited about the sport. The only thing I may
    > > > have recommended to you, had you asked before the purchase, was to buy the Iguana disc, just
    > > > because I swear by disc brakes. Other than that, you have purchased a bike from a manufacturer
    > > > who stands by their frames and offers excellent customer service if/when needed. Enjoy your
    > > > bike!
    > >
    > > Absolutely. I have a Giant XTC that I wish I hadn't bought... it's so
    good
    > > that I don't feel I'm worthy of it. I wish I had bought a Rainier
    instead
    > > because it would have been half the price... It's been damn good - I'd expect no less than the
    > > best from Giant.
    >
    > I have had the opportunity to buy a 2002 NRS 1 from a local shop for $1500 for quite some time
    > now. Still thinking about it, although I'm sure you will agree it's quite a deal to pass up.

    Quite the deal.

    As a Team Florida Cycling team member, I bought my XTC 2 at $750 plus tax. They had a 2001 XTC 1 for
    the same price. I passed it up for the newer bike. I couldn't get over how light it was, and the
    tubeless/hydraulic put me off a bit. As you can see, I wasn't too interested in FS, but it's
    starting to tug at me now, lol.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  17. MTBScottie

    MTBScottie Guest

    "Mitch Pollard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Im intrested to know what discs come on the Iguana. also was it a 2003 model or 2004 model iguana
    > ? also what shocks came on it.
    >
    > I bought a 2004 Yukon i had my heart set on the iguana disc in the 2004 model my lbs hadnt had
    > word on them yet. i believed them.
    >
    > cheers

    Hayes mechanicals come on the Iguana disc here in the States. We don't have the 2004 models here in
    the States, but rather, Giant released a "Spring Collection" of bikes, which included the Yukon in
    the ONCE Yellow race paint job with Hayes mechanical discs.

  18. "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "OrangeCountyCarl" <[email protected]>
    wrote in message news:<wM%[email protected]>...
    > First real ride where in OC? I would imagine just about anywhere you go it'll be bumper to bumper
    > on a Sunday.

    It's bumper to bumper *every* day of the week. :)

    I will probably check out Aliso Creek. Not too far from Costa Mesa.

    > > The best bike since my 1973 5-speed Schwinn Collegiate "Sport" in Campus Green! :)
    >
    > I hope you still have that bike.
    >
    > JD

    Sadly, no. I gave it away in the early 80's to a mother who didn't have a lot of money for her kid.
    I wish I had kept it in a way. Who knew a 70's Schwinn would be worth so much today? I trashed a lot
    of 70's items I wish I had kept. :(

    OCCarl

  19. <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > You will never want to own anything but disc brakes from now on.....

    I'm a total Mountain Bike newbie, but I remember the brakes on the Schwinn were OK in good weather
    and totally useless in rain.....and sometimes it rained almost every day in Florida where I grew up.

    The brakes on the Iguana Disc will have you doing endos if you stop too fast.......LOL. They're
    impressive to me.

    OCCarl

  20. Fireflyer

    Fireflyer Guest

    I love my Giant, but have thought to upgrade it a bit. See my Iguana here:
    http://jumper135.tripod.com/chris/id2.html

    I love the frame, and it seems worthy of the upgrades!