Newby wanting to lose some weight

vic32amg said:
You say you still need to loose 100lbs? how much do you weigh? One thing I have noticed is that big people tend to loose alot of weight quick. but, if you are like me, 6'1" and 179 lbs and kinda fit, getting to 165 is tougher than I planned, no matter how good I eat or ride my bike. at this point it's one pound at a time.

ungh... I wish I could drop 15 pounds like big people do , in like 5 days or wutever.
You have to look at it terms of percent of body weight. For you to go from 179 to 165, you need to loose 7.8% of your body weight. To drop 14 pounds when you start at 301, one only needs to loose 4.6%. The closer one gets to their ideal weight, the harder it is to loose. Besides that, if you are fit at 179 pounds, you probably do not have 14 pounds of fat to loose. You will have to loose muscle mass to get to 165. I realize that 165 is the midpoint of the "normal" range for someone 6'1", but depending on your fitness level, it might not be the right weight for you. It is better to go by percent body fat than weight.

RickF said:
You have to look at it terms of percent of body weight. For you to go from 179 to 165, you need to loose 7.8% of your body weight. To drop 14 pounds when you start at 301, one only needs to loose 4.6%. The closer one gets to their ideal weight, the harder it is to loose. Besides that, if you are fit at 179 pounds, you probably do not have 14 pounds of fat to loose. You will have to loose muscle mass to get to 165. I realize that 165 is the midpoint of the "normal" range for someone 6'1", but depending on your fitness level, it might not be the right weight for you. It is better to go by percent body fat than weight.
I totaly agree. I have friends who if you went by there body mass index ( or set weight per height ) would be considered obese, however this is not the case, they are extremely fit and have a body fat percentage around the 10-12% mark. Body fat percentage gives a much better indication of where your at.

dholbert said:
Hello All !!

I am a new comer to this site and I am wanting to get into riding for exercise. I am overweight by about 40 pounds. Do any of you have any advise or exercise programs designed specifically for weight loss ? I am not interested in racing or marathons (yet :p ). I just want to lose this baggage and have fun while Im doing it. Please help :eek:

dholbert
Just take to cycling to work and back, the extra weight will disappear quick enough.

First point is not to buy an expensive bike, just something really cheap. As a newbie you will destroy a new bike, and by the time it is ready to be recycled you'll have learned how to ride, decided what kind of riding you like, and know a bit more about what you'd prefer in a bike. Second is to try and find a shop with a member of staff you can converse with, that will help when you want to buy something proper, and as you'll no longer be a newbie you'll know this should be the first point ;-) .

threaded said:
Just take to cycling to work and back, the extra weight will disappear quick enough.

First point is not to buy an expensive bike, just something really cheap. As a newbie you will destroy a new bike, and by the time it is ready to be recycled you'll have learned how to ride, decided what kind of riding you like, and know a bit more about what you'd prefer in a bike. Second is to try and find a shop with a member of staff you can converse with, that will help when you want to buy something proper, and as you'll no longer be a newbie you'll know this should be the first point ;-) .
What makes you say a newbie will destroy a new bike? If the newbie buys a crapolla bike maybe. I feel you buy something good it will last. No need to buy expensive. Good always doesn't mean new or pricey. I snagged a Paramount for $200. A real nice older bike that I can upgrade for less than brand new compairable bike. I'd say the first thing to do is to have an Idea what you want, ask tons of questions in places like this and LBS, try different bikes and make an informed decision on what is the best bike for that individual.

RickF said:
Well, I certainly feel like I have some fat to lose. around the belly a lower case "b" is what I call it. not huge or obese still fit but have a small pouch that I could certainly loose. but i think I have some weight to lose. I just bought a garmin 305 to step up my training. and getting to 165 is a weight I beleive I can get to without losing muscle mass. I plan on uping my training substantially. and changing my diet to support weight loss. climbing tends to be my weak spot and I feel like losing weight will help. . I mean I don't think 165 is light for a cyclist by any mean. . . . . . . . 165, 165, 165,165,165,165.. gotta stay focused.:D

vic32amg said:
I mean I don't think 165 is light for a cyclist by any mean. . . . . . . . 165, 165, 165,165,165,165.. gotta stay focused.:D
But 6'1" is tall for a cyclist. For a 6'1" cyclist, 165 pounds is light.

George Hincapie - 6'3" 183 pounds
Magnus Backstedt - 6'4" 198 pounds
Jens Voit - 6'3" 170 pounds
Gert Steegmans - 6'3" 181 pounds
Vladimir Karpets - 6'3" 174 pounds
Tom Boonen - 6'4" 176 pounds
Coyot Arnaud - 6'5" 168 pounds
David Millar - 6'3" 170 pounds
Christian Knees - 6'4" 179 pounds

I am 6'0", and I would be sick if I was less than 175 pounds. As a former swimmer, I would be sick if my FEV1 was ever lower than 125% of predicted, too, but that is another story. Each of us is an individual. to obsess on a number is not just foolish, it is dangerous. Get a proper assessment of your percent body fat before you blindly try to starve yourself to an arbitraty weight.

RickF said:
But 6'1" is tall for a cyclist. For a 6'1" cyclist, 165 pounds is light.

George Hincapie - 6'3" 183 pounds
Magnus Backstedt - 6'4" 198 pounds
Jens Voit - 6'3" 170 pounds
Gert Steegmans - 6'3" 181 pounds
Vladimir Karpets - 6'3" 174 pounds
Tom Boonen - 6'4" 176 pounds
Coyot Arnaud - 6'5" 168 pounds
David Millar - 6'3" 170 pounds
Christian Knees - 6'4" 179 pounds

I am 6'0", and I would be sick if I was less than 175 pounds. As a former swimmer, I would be sick if my FEV1 was ever lower than 125% of predicted, too, but that is another story. Each of us is an individual. to obsess on a number is not just foolish, it is dangerous. Get a proper assessment of your percent body fat before you blindly try to starve yourself to an arbitraty weight.
well where can I check to see how much body fat I can lose? is there a way to figure it out at home. A formula?

thanks
Vic

vic32amg said:
well where can I check to see how much body fat I can lose? is there a way to figure it out at home. A formula?

thanks
Vic
Unfortunately, there is no easy formula. If there was, it would have replaced the BMI formula. The best way is to measure specific gravity. This requires you to be weighed under water after blowing out as much air from your lungs as you can. Then, there is a formula based on the difference between your weight under water and your weight out of the water. The easiest way is to measure skin fold thicknesses in several places (upper arm, thigh, chest and abdomin), and plugging these into a formula. Most fitness centers can do this assessment.

RickF said:
Unfortunately, there is no easy formula. If there was, it would have replaced the BMI formula. The best way is to measure specific gravity. This requires you to be weighed under water after blowing out as much air from your lungs as you can. Then, there is a formula based on the difference between your weight under water and your weight out of the water. The easiest way is to measure skin fold thicknesses in several places (upper arm, thigh, chest and abdomin), and plugging these into a formula. Most fitness centers can do this assessment.
well I guess I'll just stick to my plan. BTW i hooked up the Garmin 305 CAD + HRM and it is by far the best investment yet. I can't believe how much information it gives you. and Its very motivating and makes you want to just keep pushing yourself. As for the 165 lbs. It's a personal goal of mine. last year when i got married I was about 172 and things were feeling and looking good. i'm kinda lanky. I always have felt like 165 is where i should be. I know it sounds stupid and probably is but I guess I'll have to determine tha for myself. My body will let me know if I feel weak. and if i see it in my performance on the road I will most certainly stop and change goal. the number is just that a number, but if it doesnt help my performance then I ditch that and try something that does.

thanks for your input tho.

Two main things I would suggest for loosing weight.

1. Ride, ride, ride and then ride some more

2. Ride Long Steady Distances (LSD) (Don't go really hard keep the heart rate down so that you stay aerobic)

If you are just starting to ride I would suggest 30 min but try to work up to 3+ hrs