newby's bike making noises when in high gear

mdbiker

Jun 7, 2006
I'm really new to roadbiking and have been going for about two weeks or so riding 15 miles/day.
I bought a new jamis ventura sport and noticed the past couple of days that when I have the cassette in the small gears (8 speed) the chain is making some contact somewhere. I can't tell where exactly and I'm wondering if this is something I can either adjust myself or I should take to the shop. Maybe this is a normal occurrence and I'm just being anal about it. I just don't want to ruin my nice new bike...how I don't know.
Also does anyone have any opinions on this bike? Besides the noise it's making I'm really liking it although the only thing I have to compare to it so far is a 25 year old ten speed. :)
Pardon my ignorance regarding the terminology!

My $4000 madone makes that noise. Whenever you're in high crank with an easier cog, it's going to make contact. Also when you're in low crank with harder cog. I'm not sure what exactly it hits, but that's not really the point. Every bike will make that rubbing noise

As for your bike, I'm not really sure what it is. I'd have to research it. Don't let people tell you your bike sucks or they don't like your setup because really we all ride our bikes every day because we love cycling. Since it's your first bike, I'm assuming it's nothing crazy, but just keep cranking away and get a good amount of miles in this season. Next year, given you keep cycling, you'll get the bug to start racing like I did. It's a very addicting sport, expensive too.

I also am new and was wondering the same thing...I thought that I was not going fast enught for the high gear and that is why it made that noise...I drives me crazy...other than that there is nothing better

In a high gear, ok, which chainring?? Big or middle/small?

If in a middle or small its probably the Front Derailleur cage rubbing on the chain. The Cable may need a small adjusrment.

gclark8 said:
In a high gear, ok, which chainring?? Big or middle/small?

If in a middle or small its probably the Front Derailleur cage rubbing on the chain. The Cable may need a small adjusrment.
This is the big chainring (front) in the small cog cassette in the back...meaning pretty much the top one or two gears for speed. Thanks all for your responses!

mdbiker said:
I'm really new to roadbiking and have been going for about two weeks or so riding 15 miles/day.
I bought a new jamis ventura sport and noticed the past couple of days that when I have the cassette in the small gears (8 speed) the chain is making some contact somewhere. I can't tell where exactly and I'm wondering if this is something I can either adjust myself or I should take to the shop. Maybe this is a normal occurrence and I'm just being anal about it. I just don't want to ruin my nice new bike...how I don't know.
Also does anyone have any opinions on this bike? Besides the noise it's making I'm really liking it although the only thing I have to compare to it so far is a 25 year old ten speed. :)
Pardon my ignorance regarding the terminology!
Not sure why anyone would tell you that any noise (especially, chain slapping against something noticeably) is normal. NO, it is NOT normal. That said, it's probably pretty easy to fix. The easiest way is to take it to your LBS and have the wrench adjust the front derailleur (FD). My guess is the chain is hitting the outside edge/lip of the FD. This happens often with changes: new bike, new FD, cable stretch, fall etc etc

It's probably all it is sinc eyou say you hear it only when you are in the highest gear (big ring up front, smallest in the back).

As with a car, you have to get used to the noises your bike makes. Some are normal and only under certain conditions. But in general, a well tuned bike should not make noise ..

Yes, enjoy your riding, but you don't have to live with noise :)

Well said FrankBattle odd noises normal!!!!!! AAAAAARGHH
FrankBattle said:
Not sure why anyone would tell you that any noise (especially, chain slapping against something noticeably) is normal. NO, it is NOT normal. That said, it's probably pretty easy to fix. The easiest way is to take it to your LBS and have the wrench adjust the front derailleur (FD). My guess is the chain is hitting the outside edge/lip of the FD. This happens often with changes: new bike, new FD, cable stretch, fall etc etc

It's probably all it is sinc eyou say you hear it only when you are in the highest gear (big ring up front, smallest in the back).

As with a car, you have to get used to the noises your bike makes. Some are normal and only under certain conditions. But in general, a well tuned bike should not make noise ..

Yes, enjoy your riding, but you don't have to live with noise :)