Newcastle Crash

you guys can read whatever into my post. Read it again. I have been there,
done that and I am over trying to explain a simple bit of text.
Bikes are not safe to be on roads in Australia when we have these crazy
accidents due to morons with no idea.
I am not blaming the cyclist, just saying the facts of deaths and accidents
exist. Without protective cages, people are easier to kill. I am living
the life with a casualty of a moron at the wheel and my wife who was run
over. Get over yourselves, you have to be the most arrogant bunch of dicks
around.
Choose life without the risk or not.
Jock

"Jock" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:3%[email protected]...
|I don't like to say this but Australia is no place for sharing roads with
| motor vehicles. How many more people need to be injured and killed on
roads
| supposedly OK for cycling before the govt gets of it's fat backside and
acts
| in the interest of cycling safety? I don't post in here much but I read
the
| threads and there is a steady flow of needless accidents due to people
| wanting to get their cycling time out there on the roads with people who
are
| not focussing on their driving on roads that are quite frankly pathetic in
| regard to sharing.
| My heart goes out to the family and friends of the person taken and the
| injured this morning but I just continue to shake my head and wonder when
| Australians are going to get it?
| K Rudd and your cronies, - spend some money on a national cycle safety
| awareness and fix the roads so they are safe to use for all people.
| (idealistic utopian dreaming - sorry!)
| Jock
|
| "Boostland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
| news:[email protected]...
|| There was a nasty crash involving the training ride that I normally go
on.
|| One rider has died after a semi trailer collided with the group of around
| 19
|| riders on the "Swansea Express" training ride and another possibly in a
|| critical condition.
|| I have not been able to contact anyone from the ride I know as yet so
| don't
|| have more details than than what I have heard on the local radio.
|| I was not on the ride as I looked out side and it was windy and the roads
|| were wet and I decided I would go back to warm bed and train later in the
|| day, I did not want to risk a chill as I am racing in the Cronulla Crits
|| this weekend and the ride is also very very fast and my legs are still a
|| little flat after 3 days of racing over the weekend.
|| On good days I have seen 40 riders on this run with several sections of
| the
|| ride at 50+ km/h (on the flats), and a KOM up the hills on the return,
| this
|| ride is sometimes harder than the local A grade racing.
|| At our AGM last Tuesday Olivia Gollan proposed we do something for the
Amy

http://kooragangcycling.asn.au/site/index.cfm?PageMode=indiv&module=EVENT&page_id=94670&leca=216 >
|| The club will be donating at least $1000 to the foundation, so anyone in
| the
|| area that wants to race for a good cause please come along and support
it.

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 11:46:08 GMT, "Jock"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I am not blaming the cyclist, just saying the facts of deaths and accidents
>exist. Without protective cages, people are easier to kill. I am living
>the life with a casualty of a moron at the wheel and my wife who was run
>over.

My sympathies.

>Get over yourselves, you have to be the most arrogant bunch of dicks
>around.

What's arrogant about refusing to be the victim?

>Choose life without the risk or not.

I chose the risk.

Theo Bekkers wrote:
> cfsmtb wrote:
>
>> The vast
>> majority of drivers don't jump into their vehicles with the sole
>> intention of hurting or killing another human being, the real killer
>> is the lack of personal responsibility, awareness and driver
>> distraction. Governments and various agencies can only do so much,
>> it's also up to us in our daily lives to help create a adequate, safe
>> road environment for everyone else.

> Aye, but I had a poor unbringing, my dad left us when I was four, my sister
> hates me, I was picked on at school.
>
> It's not my fault!
>
> Theo

Well... not all of it is you fault.

I still maintain that the emu problem is you fault though :)

G-S

Nick Payne wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 16:53:28 +1100, EuanB wrote:
>
>> Absolute numbers, a cyclist is four times more likely to die on the
>> roads than a car driver. It's probably less now as there are more
>> cyclists and that data was from 2000 or so.
>>

> Which absolute numbers? Death rate per kilometre travelled? Death rate
> per hour on the road? What? Here's one way of looking at it:
>
> fatalities
> Activity per million hrs
> -------- ---------------
> Skydiving 128.71
> General Aviation 15.58
> On-road Motorcycling 8.80
> Scuba Diving 1.98
> Living (all causes of death) 1.53
> Swimming 1.07
> Snowmobiling .88
> Passenger cars .47
> Water skiing .28
> Bicycling .26
> Flying (scheduled domestic airlines) .15
> Hunting .08
> Cosmic Radiation from transcontinental flights .035
> Home Living (active) .027
> Traveling in a School Bus .022
> Passenger Car Post-collision fire .017
> Home Living, active & passive (sleeping) .014
> Residential Fire .003
>
> Doesn't seem to quite agree with your statement. Source: http://
> www.magma.ca/~ocbc/comparat.html.

Which by the way is why most government authorities have been reluctant
to commit funds to retro-fitting seatbelts into school buses across the
country.

Yes despite the recent announcement pre-election from JH, which had so
little funding over 3 years that it wouldn't convert 5% of Victoria's
school buses let alone a significant portion of those across the whole
country.

Oh and yes despite this I still support the fitting of seat belts to
buses (which is why all school/charter bus purchases in the fleet I
manage have been belt equipped for the past 5 years). [1]

G-S

[1] Anyone know where I can source those bus bike racks Action Bus
canberra are using? They won't talk to us about them...

Hi

In article <[email protected]>, "Jock"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>you have to be the most arrogant bunch of dicks
>around.

nahh no way ... try aus.politics or aus.cars ... the trophy resides with them
I say

See Ya
(when bandwidth gets better ;-)

Chris Eastwood
Photographer, Programmer
Motorcyclist and dingbat

please remove undies for reply

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 23:23:47 +1100, cfsmtb
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Theo Bekkers Wrote:
>>

>> What's that whooshing sound?

>The sound of this newsgroup simultaneously letting fly when reading
>your posts.

You have a fly?

On 2007-12-12, G-S (aka Bruce)
> Oh and yes despite this I still support the fitting of seat belts to
> buses (which is why all school/charter bus purchases in the fleet I
> manage have been belt equipped for the past 5 years). [1]
>

> [1] Anyone know where I can source those bus bike racks Action Bus
> canberra are using? They won't talk to us about them...

I'm not looking forward to the school holidays. Our bus stops doing
the double duty of taking school kids from the road to the observatory
to and from school, and so we get the little bus instead for the 2
month holiday period. The big bus has a nice boot in the back where
my bike fits (and probably another one too). The small bus has a very
tiny boot. I have successfully taken the bike on board, but it's not
something I want to be doing 3 times a week. Maybe I have to start
waking up an hour earlier than early, and ride up there as well.

--
TimC
Ah, so many of life's little problems can be solved by head

Jock said:
Choose life without the risk or not.

While you have my utmost sympathy for what happened to your wife (yes, you have mentioned this terrible incident before), I prefer not to live in fear and unnecessarily stressed by what ifs & maybes. We can take personal and professional decisions to create changes for the better or remain in uncertainly. I prefer to attempt to do something, either just keep riding and also advocate for improved conditions. My personal choice and I'll live with it.

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 23:13:19 +1100, G-S <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Theo
>>

>Well... not all of it is you fault.
>
>I still maintain that the emu problem is you fault though :)
>

>G-S

cos of all the ones he missed?

Aeek wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 23:13:19 +1100, G-S <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>> Theo
>>>

>> Well... not all of it is you fault.
>>
>> I still maintain that the emu problem is you fault though :)
>>

>> G-S

> cos of all the ones he missed?

Yup... It was obviously Theo's job to control the emu population but he
stops half way through :) [1]

G-S

[1] Probably I should stop now too ;-)

TimC wrote:
> On 2007-12-12, G-S (aka Bruce)
>> Oh and yes despite this I still support the fitting of seat belts to
>> buses (which is why all school/charter bus purchases in the fleet I
>> manage have been belt equipped for the past 5 years). [1]
>>

>> [1] Anyone know where I can source those bus bike racks Action Bus
>> canberra are using? They won't talk to us about them...

> I'm not looking forward to the school holidays. Our bus stops doing
> the double duty of taking school kids from the road to the observatory
> to and from school, and so we get the little bus instead for the 2
> month holiday period. The big bus has a nice boot in the back where
> my bike fits (and probably another one too). The small bus has a very
> tiny boot. I have successfully taken the bike on board, but it's not
> something I want to be doing 3 times a week. Maybe I have to start
> waking up an hour earlier than early, and ride up there as well.

Bike racks on smaller buses (and city buses without boots), are why I'm
interested. Larger buses with big boots or large underfloor bins don't
have such an issue.

G-S

Aeek wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 23:19:40 +1100, G-S <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> [1] Anyone know where I can source those bus bike racks Action Bus
>> canberra are using? They won't talk to us about them...

> tried asking Pedal Power (ACT) http://www.pedalpower.org.au/ ?

Not yet, but I will thanks :)

G-S

In aus.bicycle on Wed, 12 Dec 2007 11:46:08 GMT
Jock <[email protected]> wrote:
> Choose life without the risk or not.

Let's see... Cross country jumping, riding poddy calves in rodeos as
a kid, motorcycles including racing on dirt and tarmac, cycling to
work in Sydney incl. CBD and Paramatta Rd.

Guess I have chosen the risk.

I do note that in that collection I have certainy been injured. But
never in traffic. All my *own* fault.

Zebee

Jock wrote:

> Bikes are not safe to be on roads in Australia when we have these
> crazy
> accidents due to morons with no idea.
> I am not blaming the cyclist, just saying the facts of deaths and
> accidents
> exist.
> Choose life without the risk or not.

You could go home, get into bed, and pull the blankets over your head. But
that's where most people die.

Theo

G-S wrote:
> Theo Bekkers wrote:

>> Aye, but I had a poor unbringing, my dad left us when I was four, my
>> sister hates me, I was picked on at school.
>>
>> It's not my fault!

> Well... not all of it is you fault.
>
> I still maintain that the emu problem is you fault though :)

Why on earth do emus need to be camouflaged? With no natural enemies, and
only dying from old age and cars, why couldn't they be red, or fluoro
yellow? So I could avoid them. :)

Theo

Theo Bekkers wrote:

> Why on earth do emus need to be camouflaged? With no natural enemies,

umm, the word is surviving. You would not want to meet their natural eneny.

On Dec 13, 9:20 am, "Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote:
> G-S wrote:
> > Theo Bekkers wrote:
> >> Aye, but I had a poor unbringing, my dad left us when I was four, my
> >> sister hates me, I was picked on at school.

> >> It's not my fault!

> > Well... not all of it is you fault.

> > I still maintain that the emu problem is you fault though :)

> Why on earth do emus need to be camouflaged? With no natural enemies, and
> only dying from old age and cars, why couldn't they be red, or fluoro
> yellow? So I could avoid them. :)
>
> Theo

There was one standing in the middle of the road as I was descending
to the Snowy River the other week. It had 4 medium sized chicks with
it and they all stood out pretty well against the reddish gravel
road. It was even nice enough to hang around long enough so the other
two could have a look at it when they arrived.