Newcastle - Fernleigh Track / Cycleway

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by scotty72, Oct 29, 2005.

  1. scotty72

    scotty72 New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2005
    Hey guys,

    I've been thinking of heading up to Newcastle (better not leave out Lake Macquarie - I know they get upset) to cycle around one of my old stomping grounds (U Newc old boy).

    Specifically, how far along have they built the Fernleigh track. I've heard that stage two is now ok (down to Whitebridge). Is that true.

    Generally, is it worth going along?

    Is it -

    a nice ride
    flooded with peds
    long enough to get a good ride in?

    Thanks

    Scotty

    Tags:

  2. scotty72 wrote:

    > Specifically, how far along have they built the Fernleigh track. I've
    > heard that stage two is now ok (down to Whitebridge). Is that true.
    >
    > Generally, is it worth going along?

    On a mtb, yes,

    A couple of years ago, it was only "finished" to the second(?) road
    crossing south of the tunnel. Finsihed means between the tracks are
    filled with road base.

    > Is it -
    >
    > a nice ride

    If you don't mind the rough patches.

    > long enough to get a good ride in?

    Yes, It would be a really great route into Newcastle from the south if
    it ever gets finished. I expect it weill be ready for my grand kids.

    Check the NCM website. If it was finished, then I am sure they would
    have an update on it.

  3. scotty72

    scotty72 New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2005
    I did, unfortunately NCM hasn't updated the info since October 2003. I was hoping for some more recent info...

    LMCC site seems to be the most up-to-date, however they too seem to treat it as though it were a state secret... :)

    Railtrails.org.au mentions the opening of stage two, but doesn't give much info about the state of it...