Newcastle-)Inverness: 3 Bicycles on the train?

Andreas Oehler

Guest
Hello,

we are just planning a family camping tour in Scotland end of July. We might arrive by ferry
(from Amsterdam) in Newcastle on Saturday morning and think about taking the train to
Inverness on Saturday or Sunday. It seems not possible to book bicycle transport on this
destanation from Germany.

Please let us know:

* are there direct trains from Newcastle to Inverness which carry bicycles?

* is it neccessary to book bicycle places in advance?

* is it likely to get places for bicycle transport in July, if we book it in Newcastle just hours
before we want to take the train?

* is there a possibility to book the train (Seats and bicycles) via the Internet?

* can you recommend a overnight accommodation in Newcastle (campsite, youth hostle, ...)?

TIA Andreas

Andreas Oehler wrote:
> Hello,
>
> we are just planning a family camping tour in Scotland end of July. We might arrive by ferry (from
> Amsterdam) in Newcastle on Saturday morning and think about taking the train to Inverness on
> Saturday or Sunday. It seems not possible to book bicycle transport on this destanation from
> Germany.
>
> Please let us know:
>
> * are there direct trains from Newcastle to Inverness which carry bicycles?

Just 1 per day, Saturday afternoon 14:54. Check the timetables on www.gner.co.uk There are more
trains to Aberdeen, and then a local service to Inverness. The GNER trains will, or should, carry
three bikes. The local service might be different.

> * is it neccessary to book bicycle places in advance?

It is on GNER, though the booking is free

> * is it likely to get places for bicycle transport in July, if we book it in Newcastle just hours
> before we want to take the train?

I have booked GNER places for my bike minutes in advance, however you would be better booking well
in adsvance if possible.

> * is there a possibility to book the train (Seats and bicycles) via the Internet?

Yes. www,thetrainline.com allows bikes to be booked. The GNER site might, I haven't used it
recently. You could also try booking by telephone.

> * can you recommend a overnight accommodation in Newcastle (campsite, youth hostle, ...)?

Sorry, can't help with that one.

Inverness? End of July? You're not orienteering are you?

Colin

Colin Blackburn wrote:

>Inverness? End of July? You're not orienteering are you?

Midge alert!!!
--
remove remove to reply

Wed, 21 May 2003 20:00:07 +0100, Gonzalez:

>Midge alert!!!

Are those midges a real problem while cycling? Is camping (on campsites) not recommended in summer
because of the midges or are they only a problem in special locations?

Andreas

Wed, 21 May 2003 14:33:09 +0100, Colin Blackburn:

Thank you for the information.

>Andreas Oehler wrote:
>> * is there a possibility to book the train (Seats and bicycles) via the Internet?
>
>Yes. www,thetrainline.com allows bikes to be booked.

They require payment by credit card :-(

>The GNER site might, I haven't used it recently.

They only ship tickets inside the UK.

> You could also try booking by telephone.

I will try.

>Inverness? End of July? You're not orienteering are you?

The term "orienteering" exceeds my rusty english vocabulary...

Andreas

Andreas Oehler wrote:

>Are those midges a real problem while cycling? Is camping (on campsites) not recommended in summer
>because of the midges or are they only a problem in special locations?

"It was thought, for some time, that many of the traditional dances of Scotland were specially
choreographed centuries ago. That is not the case, much of the jumping about and frantic arm waving
was a desperate attempt to get rid of the scourge."

http://home.freeuk.com/davmurray/midges.htm
--
remove remove to reply

> In message <[email protected]>, Andreas Oehler
> <[email protected]> writes
> >The term "orienteering" exceeds my rusty english vocabulary...
>
> Orientierungslauf

Thank you. My German has improved 100%.

Just for information, the Scottish 6-day is taking place around Inverness at the end of July,
hence my query.

Just for topicality, and for those cyclists in the far north, the rest day (at least from the six
normal events) will include a MTB orienteering event. I think that is the Wednesday. Perhaps Paul
Smith will come along and demonstrate his cycling skills.

Colin

In message <MPG.19369189fd52d17989a2b@localhost>, Colin Blackburn
<[email protected]> writes
>Just for topicality, and for those cyclists in the far north, the rest day (at least from the six
>normal events) will include a MTB orienteering event. I think that is the Wednesday. Perhaps Paul
>Smith will come along and demonstrate his cycling skills.

Or perhaps he'll just get lost. ;-)
--
Michael MacClancy

"Andreas Oehler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Wed, 21 May 2003 20:00:07 +0100, Gonzalez:
>

> >Midge alert!!!
>
> Are those midges a real problem while cycling? Is camping (on campsites) not recommended in summer
> because of the midges or are they only a problem in special locations?
>
> Andreas

Andreas, The reason people can't find the Loch Ness monster is because they are looking for a huge
prehistoric beastie. What they should be looking for is a wee fly with teeth the size of a huge
prehistoric beastie...or at least the results are similar!! ;-) But seriously.....precautions should
help. Cheers, have a great time if you make it. It is gorgeous and well worth the effort. Dave.

Andreas Oehler wrote:
> Wed, 21 May 2003 14:33:09 +0100, Colin Blackburn:
>
> Thank you for the information.

I have just realised that a quicker rail route to Inverness would be to go from Newcastle to
Edinburgh and then travel via Perth to Inverness. You might want to check that out.

Colin

Andreas Oehler <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Wed, 21 May 2003 20:00:07 +0100, Gonzalez:
>

> >Midge alert!!!
>
> Are those midges a real problem while cycling? Is camping (on campsites) not recommended in summer
> because of the midges or are they only a problem in special locations?
>
> Andreas
Midges can be a real problem anywhere in the Scotland from May to September. They are worst in
the Northwest. They like damp windless conditions and are most active in the morning and late
evening. If you are camping pick an open position to get the most of any breeze. They are not a
problem while cycling or walking but when you stop moving you will soon know if they are active
or not. cheers Iain

Newcastle Youth Hostel.
Adult 11.25 pounds, Under 18 8.25 pounds

Address:
107 Jesmond Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne & Wear NE2 1NJ

Phone:
Within UK 0870 770 5972
Outside UK (+44) 191 281 2570

Fax: 0191 281 8779

Email: [email protected]

Web Site: http://www.yha.org.uk

On Wed, 21 May 2003 15:18:39 +0200, contributor Andreas Oehler had scribed:
> we are just planning a family camping tour in Scotland end of July. We might arrive by ferry (from
> Amsterdam) in Newcastle on Saturday morning and think about taking the train to Inverness on
> Saturday or Sunday. It seems not possible to book bicycle transport on this destanation from
> Germany.
>
> Please let us know:
>
> * are there direct trains from Newcastle to Inverness which carry bicycles?

Yes, one direct train per day (at 1454 on Saturday, 1535 on Sunday, times at weekends can vary due
to engineering works). There are others where a change at Edinburgh is possible.

> * Is it neccessary to book bicycle places in advance?

Yes

> * is it likely to get places for bicycle transport in July, if we book it in Newcastle just hours
> before we want to take the train?

No guarantee as there is only sufficient space for about five cycles.

> * is there a possibility to book the train (Seats and bicycles) via the Internet?

Yes, QJump and Virgin Trains both have online train ticket reservation systems, collection at the
station is possible. To access both use http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ and follow the links to
online timetables.

> * Can you recommend a overnight accommodation in Newcastle (campsite, youth hostle, ...)?

No, not in a position to recommend.

Gary

--

The email address is for newsgroups purposes only and therefore unlikely to be read.

For contact via email use my real name with an underscore separator at the domain of CompuServe.

On Wed, 21 May 2003 14:33:09 +0100, contributor Colin Blackburn had scribed:
> Inverness? End of July?

What wrong with that. Been that way twice with bicycles at that time of year.

Gary

--

The email address is for newsgroups purposes only and therefore unlikely to be read.

For contact via email use my real name with an underscore separator at the domain of CompuServe.

On Wed, 21 May 2003 23:45:52 +0200, contributor Andreas Oehler had scribed:
> They require payment by credit card :-(

Is that a problem?

> They only ship tickets inside the UK.

Or pick up at a railway station like Newcastle Central, where you intend to start your journey.

> he term "orienteering" exceeds my rusty english vocabulary...

Running with map.

Gary

--

The email address is for newsgroups purposes only and therefore unlikely to be read.

For contact via email use my real name with an underscore separator at the domain of CompuServe.

On Wed, 21 May 2003 23:45:52 +0200, contributor Andreas Oehler had scribed:
> Are those midges a real problem while cycling?

Only when you stop. ;-)

> Is camping (on campsites) not recommended in summer because of the midges or are they only a
> problem in special locations?

They are problem wherever you are particularly nearer the west coast than east. Either bring/buy
plenty of repellent or take up smoking.

Gary

--

The email address is for newsgroups purposes only and therefore unlikely to be read.

For contact via email use my real name with an underscore separator at the domain of CompuServe.

On Thu, 22 May 2003 11:53:23 +0100, contributor Colin Blackburn had scribed:
> I have just realised that a quicker rail route to Inverness would be to go from Newcastle to
> Edinburgh and then travel via Perth to Inverness. You might want to check that out.

The 1454 (on Saturdays) train from Newcastle takes that route.

Gary

--

The email address is for newsgroups purposes only and therefore unlikely to be read.

For contact via email use my real name with an underscore separator at the domain of CompuServe.

Hi

If you intend changing at Edinburgh you will have to book bikes on the Edinburgh to Inverness Scotrail service. Spaces are sadly limited, I suspect to only 2 bikes on some services. Call Scotrail on 08457 550033. GNER is a better service, if that ties in with your timetable.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

Thu, 26 Jun 2003 16:37:12 +0100, Gary Knighton:

>No guarantee as there is only sufficient space for about five cycles.
>
>> * is there a possibility to book the train (Seats and bicycles) via the Internet?
>>

>Yes, QJump and Virgin Trains both have online train ticket reservation systems, collection at the
>station is possible. To access both use http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ and follow the links to
>online timetables.

Thanks.

>> * Can you recommend a overnight accommodation in Newcastle (campsite, youth hostle, ...)?
>>

>No, not in a position to recommend.

Oh. What would be an alternative? B&B?

Andreas