Newcastle-)Inverness: 3 Bicycles on the train?

Thu, 26 Jun 2003 16:37:15 +0100, Gary Knighton:

>On Wed, 21 May 2003 23:45:52 +0200, contributor Andreas Oehler had scribed:
>> They require payment by credit card :-(
>>

>Is that a problem?

So far I had no need for such a card. Why should I pay for it and have all my (financial) moves
logged for "big brother"? But - I just found a possibility to get a CC for free - so I might try it
for payments without alternativ. It would also make it possible to get some maps from Sustrans.

>> They only ship tickets inside the UK.
>>

>Or pick up at a railway station like Newcastle Central, where you intend to start your journey.

I would prefer to reserve the bike transport early enough.

Andreas

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003, Gary Knighton wrote:

> On Wed, 21 May 2003 15:18:39 +0200, contributor Andreas Oehler had scribed:
> > we are just planning a family camping tour in Scotland end of July. We might arrive by ferry
> > (from Amsterdam) in Newcastle on Saturday morning and think about taking the train to Inverness
> > on Saturday or Sunday. It seems not possible to book bicycle transport on this destanation from
> > Germany.
> >
> > Please let us know:
> >
> > * are there direct trains from Newcastle to Inverness which carry bicycles?
> >
> > * is it likely to get places for bicycle transport in July, if we book it in Newcastle just
> > hours before we want to take the train?
> >

> No guarantee as there is only sufficient space for about five cycles.
>
> > * is there a possibility to book the train (Seats and bicycles) via the Internet?
> >
> Yes, QJump and Virgin Trains both have online train ticket reservation systems, collection at the
> station is possible. To access both use http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ and follow the links to
> online timetables.
>
> > * Can you recommend a overnight accommodation in Newcastle (campsite, youth hostle, ...)?

There's a hostel at 107 Jesmond Road

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g186394-d239583-Reviews-Newcastle_Youth_Hostel-Newcastle_up-
on_Tyne_Tyne_and_Wear_England.html

which should be cycle friendly as the local cycle-advocacy group meets there. It's about 10 minutes
away from the station, though there are a few big roads and 1 way streets that keep life interesting
(they can be avoided).

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?grid2map?x=425500&y=565500&zoom=3&isp=200&ism=1000&arro-
w=y?126,87

Shows the youth hostel; Central station is down & to the left of the area shown. You could also try
contacting Newcastle University who rent out student rooms during the summer.

Kit

Thu, 26 Jun 2003 16:37:15 +0100, Gary Knighton:

[midges]

>They are problem wherever you are particularly nearer the west coast than east. Either bring/buy
>plenty of repellent or take up smoking.

In another thread the repellent "Shoo!" was recommended for Scottish midges. Where whould I buy this
in Newcastle. Is it available in drugstores/outdoor stores/pharmacies?

Similar "chemical" question: I was told the fuel for our "Trangia" stove (german: "Spiritus",
denaturised alcohol?) is not easily available in the UK. Where do I get the "spirit";-) ? What is
the right name of the product I should ask for?

Andreas

Andreas Oehler wrote:

> Similar "chemical" question: I was told the fuel for our "Trangia" stove (german: "Spiritus",
> denaturised alcohol?) is not easily available in the UK. Where do I get the "spirit";-) ? What is
> the right name of the product I should ask for?

"Meths" It is widely available. Most outdoor camping stores or hardware stores stock it. Failing
that almost any chemist sells it, but usually in small bottles only.

Buy as large a bottle as you can comfortably carry as it is very expensive in small quantities, so
avoid chemists unless you are really stuck.

I usually carry a 500ml in a Sigg bottle in a bottle carrier plus that in the stove burners (I
take two).

John B

Thu, 26 Jun 2003 19:15:18 +0100, John B:

>"Meths"

Thanks - I will practise to pronounce it understandable...

Andreas

In article <[email protected]>, Andreas Oehler wrote:
> Oh. What would be an alternative? B&B?

I meant my knowledge of accommodation in the Tyneside area is limited. If I stay overnight in
Newcastle, I would stay with a friend of my wife's.

Others have given a hostel address in Newcastle.

In article <[email protected]>, Andreas Oehler wrote:
> I would prefer to reserve the bike transport early enough.

I meant, order you reservations and collect from the Travel Centre at Newcastle instead of the
tickets being posted to a UK address which you don't have.

In article <[email protected]>, Andreas Oehler wrote:
> >"Meths"
>
> Thanks - I will practise to pronounce it understandable...

Full name is Methylated Spirit, you won't find "Meths" written on the bottle, but ask for it as
either, but not while intoxicated.

> On Wed, 21 May 2003 14:33:09 +0100, contributor Colin Blackburn had scribed:
> > Inverness? End of July?
> >

> What wrong with that.

It was a query not an assertion that there was a problem. See the follow-ups for why I asked
the question.

Colin

In article <[email protected]>, bitte_Reply- [email protected] says...
> Thu, 26 Jun 2003 16:37:15 +0100, Gary Knighton:
>
> >On Wed, 21 May 2003 23:45:52 +0200, contributor Andreas Oehler had scribed:
> >> They require payment by credit card :-(
> >>

> >Is that a problem?
>
> So far I had no need for such a card. Why should I pay for it and have all my (financial) moves
> logged for "big brother"? But - I just found a possibility to get a CC for free

Almost all credit cards are free in the UK (as long as you pay them off within the month.) I can't
remember the last time I was actually charged for having a credit card. I take it the situation is
different in Germany.

Colin