Newfoundland Northern Penninsula

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Climbit, Apr 25, 2003.

  1. Climbit

    Climbit Guest

    Hi Two of us are thinking of riding up highway 430 from Deer Lake to St Anthony at the end of June
    (around 6 to 8 days). Has anyone got and tips - road condition, places to camp, places to see, etc

    Thanks

    Tags:

  2. Ken Kramer

    Ken Kramer Guest

  3. Climbit

    Climbit Guest

    Thanks Ken, I'd seen the description of highway 430 on that website which is what conviced me
    to try it.

    "Ken Kramer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > You might try this as a starting point http://www.atlanticcanadacycling.com/newfoundland/
    >
    > Sounds like a neat trip
    >
    > "Climbit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi Two of us are thinking of riding up highway 430 from Deer Lake to St
    > Anthony
    > > at the end of June (around 6 to 8 days). Has anyone got and tips - road condition, places to
    > > camp, places to see, etc
    > >
    > > Thanks

  4. 135u

    135u Guest

    I visited NF last summer, and can make two suggestions: rain gear is a necessity. Get the brightly
    colored stuff, since there's a lot of large truck traffic on that route and they fly. And the
    surface can be rough in spots.

    Secondly, the hills on this route, where there are hills, are torturous. Long ascents and long
    descents. Most of the hills come near Deer Lake. The upper sections (northern) are flatter since the
    road follows the coast. Nice land up there, though. You won't regret the effort.

    "Climbit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Two of us are thinking of riding up highway 430 from Deer Lake to St
    Anthony
    > at the end of June (around 6 to 8 days). Has anyone got and tips - road condition, places to camp,
    > places to see, etc
    >
    > Thanks

  5. Climbit

    Climbit Guest

    Thanks for the tips, we've got some low gears on the bikes, but some training is in order !