Newfoundland Northern Penninsula

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Climbit

Hi Two of us are thinking of riding up highway 430 from Deer Lake to St Anthony at the end of June
(around 6 to 8 days). Has anyone got and tips - road condition, places to camp, places to see, etc

Thanks

Thanks Ken, I'd seen the description of highway 430 on that website which is what conviced me
to try it.

"Ken Kramer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> You might try this as a starting point http://www.atlanticcanadacycling.com/newfoundland/
>
> Sounds like a neat trip
>
> "Climbit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hi Two of us are thinking of riding up highway 430 from Deer Lake to St
> Anthony
> > at the end of June (around 6 to 8 days). Has anyone got and tips - road condition, places to
> > camp, places to see, etc
> >
> > Thanks
> >
>

I visited NF last summer, and can make two suggestions: rain gear is a necessity. Get the brightly
colored stuff, since there's a lot of large truck traffic on that route and they fly. And the
surface can be rough in spots.

Secondly, the hills on this route, where there are hills, are torturous. Long ascents and long
descents. Most of the hills come near Deer Lake. The upper sections (northern) are flatter since the
road follows the coast. Nice land up there, though. You won't regret the effort.

"Climbit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi Two of us are thinking of riding up highway 430 from Deer Lake to St
Anthony
> at the end of June (around 6 to 8 days). Has anyone got and tips - road condition, places to camp,
> places to see, etc
>
> Thanks

Thanks for the tips, we've got some low gears on the bikes, but some training is in order !

"135U" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I visited NF last summer, and can make two suggestions: rain gear is a necessity. Get the brightly
> colored stuff, since there's a lot of large truck traffic on that route and they fly. And the
> surface can be rough in spots.
>
> Secondly, the hills on this route, where there are hills, are torturous. Long ascents and long
> descents. Most of the hills come near Deer Lake. The upper sections (northern) are flatter since
> the road follows the coast.
Nice
> land up there, though. You won't regret the effort.
>
> "Climbit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hi Two of us are thinking of riding up highway 430 from Deer Lake to St
> Anthony
> > at the end of June (around 6 to 8 days). Has anyone got and tips - road condition, places to
> > camp, places to see, etc
> >
> > Thanks
> >
>

Status
Not open for further replies.