News.individual.NET users?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Shaun aRe, Feb 16, 2005.

  1. Shaun aRe

    Shaun aRe Guest

    Hey folks - dunno if you've heard yet, but the server will no longer be a
    free one, from April 1st - not a fools joke.

    10 EURO per year. I still think it's worth it for their kind of service
    though.

    Shaun aRe

    Tags:

  2. Tim

    Tim Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Shaun aRe wrote:
    > Hey folks - dunno if you've heard yet, but the server will no longer be a
    > free one, from April 1st - not a fools joke.
    >
    > 10 EURO per year. I still think it's worth it for their kind of service
    > though.

    Same thoughts here; for ~6ish quid a year it's worth it for the
    service. Just need to make sure I get round to stumping up before I get
    cut off at the knee, so to speak.
    --
    Tim.

  3. Shaun aRe

    Shaun aRe Guest

    "Tim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>, Shaun aRe wrote:
    > > Hey folks - dunno if you've heard yet, but the server will no longer be

    > > free one, from April 1st - not a fools joke.
    > >
    > > 10 EURO per year. I still think it's worth it for their kind of service
    > > though.
    > >

    > Same thoughts here; for ~6ish quid a year it's worth it for the
    > service.

    Yeah, funny how in another group I use, all I read was bitching and requests
    for knowledge of any other free server. I mean, I haven't heard of a paid
    for one that's been more reliable than NID anyway.

    > Just need to make sure I get round to stumping up before I get
    > cut off at the knee, so to speak.

    Same here.

    Shaun aRe

  4. On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 09:52:58 -0000, "Shaun aRe"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >eah, funny how in another group I use, all I read was bitching and requests
    >for knowledge of any other free server. I mean, I haven't heard of a paid
    >for one that's been more reliable than NID anyway.

    I just signed up for broadband and have only been using Indiv for a
    short time....was resigned to signing up for GigaNews once my old ISP
    went away.

    Is individual that reliable? If so, maybe I'll just stick with it...

  5. On a tangental note, can anybody who uses Agent tell me what I'm doing
    wrong that "Re:" gets concatted onto my subject headers?

    Seems to fragment the threads...

  6. Ne>

    Ne> Guest

    "Shaun aRe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hey folks - dunno if you've heard yet, but the server will no longer be a
    > free one, from April 1st - not a fools joke.
    >
    > 10 EURO per year. I still think it's worth it for their kind of service
    > though.
    >

    > Shaun aRe

    Ta for the inf.

  7. taywood

    taywood Guest

    "Peter J Cresswell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 09:52:58 -0000, "Shaun aRe"
    >
    > Is individual that reliable? If so, maybe I'll just stick with it...

    You wont hear me saying YES

    That'd be like giving it the kiss of death.
    Like the sports commentator who shouts out
    'he's going to win'
    errr
    oops !!

  8. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 12:38:27 -0500, Peter J Cresswell <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Is individual that reliable? If so, maybe I'll just stick with it...

    Yes, it is.
    --
    Slacker

  9. Shaun aRe

    Shaun aRe Guest

    "Peter J Cresswell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 09:52:58 -0000, "Shaun aRe"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >eah, funny how in another group I use, all I read was bitching and

    requests
    > >for knowledge of any other free server. I mean, I haven't heard of a paid
    > >for one that's been more reliable than NID anyway.

    > I just signed up for broadband and have only been using Indiv for a
    > short time....was resigned to signing up for GigaNews once my old ISP
    > went away.
    >
    > Is individual that reliable? If so, maybe I'll just stick with it...

    IME they have been stellar, all round stellar.

    Shaun aRe - German efficiency dontchaknow.

    Shaun aRe

  10. Per Shaun aRe:
    >> Is individual that reliable? If so, maybe I'll just stick with it...

    >IME they have been stellar, all round stellar.

    Just got finished reading their FAQ page.

    It made a *really* good impression.... I think they'll get my money ASAP...I
    just hope they make enough to stay with it.
    --
    PeteCresswell

  11. Per (Pete Cresswell):
    >It made a *really* good impression..

    Except for register.php|Rules For Usage|Sender Address, which seemed kind of
    strange to me.

    It requires all users include a valid "From" address on their posts.

    I can deal with that because I have a sophisticated-enough mail service that I
    can supply an address to which messages will be put in a special place...and my
    only hassle is deleting the hundreds of spams before that special place
    overloads my mail allotment on the server.

    But I think somebody with just one address is going to have problems. Maybe
    not today or tomorrow, but over time as bots harvest their address from the NG
    posts.

    I used to post legit addresses in NGs and now my domain gets 7,000-8,000 spams
    per day....granted most of them are dictionary attacks, but hundreds of them are
    to legitimate addresses I put in NG posts before I caught on.
    --
    PeteCresswell

  12. tcmedara

    tcmedara Guest

    (Pete Cresswell) wrote:
    > Per (Pete Cresswell):
    >> It made a *really* good impression..

    > Except for register.php|Rules For Usage|Sender Address, which seemed
    > kind of strange to me.
    >
    > It requires all users include a valid "From" address on their posts.
    >
    > I can deal with that because I have a sophisticated-enough mail
    > service that I can supply an address to which messages will be put in
    > a special place...and my only hassle is deleting the hundreds of
    > spams before that special place overloads my mail allotment on the
    > server.
    >
    > But I think somebody with just one address is going to have problems.
    > Maybe not today or tomorrow, but over time as bots harvest their
    > address from the NG posts.
    >
    > I used to post legit addresses in NGs and now my domain gets
    > 7,000-8,000 spams per day....granted most of them are dictionary
    > attacks, but hundreds of them are to legitimate addresses I put in NG
    > posts before I caught on.

    Can't you just create a throw away account on hotmail or Yahoo and just
    write it off?

    Tom

  13. MattB

    MattB Guest

    tcmedara wrote:
    > (Pete Cresswell) wrote:
    >
    >>Per (Pete Cresswell):
    >>
    >>>It made a *really* good impression..

    >>Except for register.php|Rules For Usage|Sender Address, which seemed
    >>kind of strange to me.
    >>
    >>It requires all users include a valid "From" address on their posts.
    >>
    >>I can deal with that because I have a sophisticated-enough mail
    >>service that I can supply an address to which messages will be put in
    >>a special place...and my only hassle is deleting the hundreds of
    >>spams before that special place overloads my mail allotment on the
    >>server.
    >>
    >>But I think somebody with just one address is going to have problems.
    >>Maybe not today or tomorrow, but over time as bots harvest their
    >>address from the NG posts.
    >>
    >>I used to post legit addresses in NGs and now my domain gets
    >>7,000-8,000 spams per day....granted most of them are dictionary
    >>attacks, but hundreds of them are to legitimate addresses I put in NG
    >>posts before I caught on.

    > Can't you just create a throw away account on hotmail or Yahoo and just
    > write it off?
    >
    > Tom

    That's what I did (yahoo) but my real email that I've had for years
    suffers the same problems as Pete's.

    Matt

  14. Shaun aRe

    Shaun aRe Guest

    "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Per (Pete Cresswell):
    > >It made a *really* good impression..

    > Except for register.php|Rules For Usage|Sender Address, which seemed kind

    of
    > strange to me.
    >
    > It requires all users include a valid "From" address on their posts.
    >
    > I can deal with that because I have a sophisticated-enough mail service

    that I
    > can supply an address to which messages will be put in a special

    place...and my
    > only hassle is deleting the hundreds of spams before that special place
    > overloads my mail allotment on the server.
    >
    > But I think somebody with just one address is going to have problems.

    Maybe
    > not today or tomorrow, but over time as bots harvest their address from

    the NG
    > posts.
    >
    > I used to post legit addresses in NGs and now my domain gets 7,000-8,000

    spams
    > per day....granted most of them are dictionary attacks, but hundreds of

    them are
    > to legitimate addresses I put in NG posts before I caught on.

    Yeah, that bit is a bit of a problem. When I subbed from this new addy, it
    took a day to get my first spam back. Mind you, I think I'd posted over 200
    messages over 7 news groups, excluding the HUGELY crossposted messages...
    heheheh...

    Shaun aRe

  15. Per Shaun aRe:
    >Yeah, that bit is a bit of a problem. When I subbed from this new addy, it
    >took a day to get my first spam back. Mind you, I think I'd posted over 200
    >messages over 7 news groups, excluding the HUGELY crossposted messages...
    >heheheh...

    I just got a reply from Individual.

    Turns out I didn't read their FAQ carefully enough.

    It did say that all posts must have a legit return address, but later
    http://news.individual.net/faq.php#5.3 says it's all right to use the .invalid
    suffix. Something about "not polluting the namespace"... I guess the
    important thing from their perspective is not to have to deal with a lot of
    addressed that don't hit on any name server...and ".invalid" is enough of a
    standard that they have code in place to weed those guys out painlessly.

    Based on their FAQ, their responses, and this thread they've got *my* money.
    I just hope they make enough to stay in biz.
    --
    PeteCresswell

  16. Shaun aRe

    Shaun aRe Guest

    "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Per Shaun aRe:
    > >Yeah, that bit is a bit of a problem. When I subbed from this new addy,

    it
    > >took a day to get my first spam back. Mind you, I think I'd posted over

    200
    > >messages over 7 news groups, excluding the HUGELY crossposted messages...
    > >heheheh...

    > I just got a reply from Individual.
    >
    > Turns out I didn't read their FAQ carefully enough.
    >
    > It did say that all posts must have a legit return address, but later
    > http://news.individual.net/faq.php#5.3 says it's all right to use the

    ..invalid
    > suffix. Something about "not polluting the namespace"... I guess the
    > important thing from their perspective is not to have to deal with a lot

    of
    > addressed that don't hit on any name server...and ".invalid" is enough of

    > standard that they have code in place to weed those guys out painlessly.
    >
    > Based on their FAQ, their responses, and this thread they've got *my*

    money.
    > I just hope they make enough to stay in biz.
    > --
    > PeteCresswell

    Cool - cheers Pete - I'll have to get around to remembering to get off my
    arse and do something about that soon...ish ',;~}~

    Cheers!

    Shaun aRe
    --
    Sometimes, the true and living thought bubbling rapidly up from the
    depths, surfaces with a severe case of the Benz.