News of my death has been greatly exagerated (stage 14 winner)

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Richard Adams, Jul 18, 2004.

  1. So Aitor Gonzalez is a big disappointment to Fassa Bortolo?

    Hm. This Sunday seems to be his day of redemption.

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>,
    Richard Adams <[email protected]> wrote:

    > So Aitor Gonzalez is a big disappointment to Fassa Bortolo?
    >
    > Hm. This Sunday seems to be his day of redemption.

    Expectations are everything.

    It's an impressive thing to win a stage in the Tour de France.

    The problem is that Aitor wasn't supposed to be 45 minutes down on GC at
    the time. The stage victory is a nice milksop, but Gonzalez was supposed
    to challenge for GC, not meaningless-to-GC victories on flat stages.

    Then again, he's won one more stage than Petacchi did, and Ale-Jet was
    supposed to challenge for the green jersey,
    --
    Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.wiredcola.com
    President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

  3. Sonarrat

    Sonarrat Guest

    in article [email protected], Richard Adams at
    [email protected] wrote on 7/18/04 8:09 AM:

    > So Aitor Gonzalez is a big disappointment to Fassa Bortolo?
    >
    > Hm. This Sunday seems to be his day of redemption.

    It was beautiful.. just when all seemed to be lost. It was the first break
    I'd seen him in all Tour, and he made it count... that was a really, really
    impressive attack, everyone fought to counter him and he just rode away.
    This is a good indicator for Besançon.

    -Sonarrat.

  4. On 2004-07-18, Sonarrat <[email protected]> wrote:
    > in article [email protected], Richard Adams at
    > [email protected] wrote on 7/18/04 8:09 AM:
    >
    >> So Aitor Gonzalez is a big disappointment to Fassa Bortolo?
    >>
    >> Hm. This Sunday seems to be his day of redemption.

    > It was beautiful.. just when all seemed to be lost. It was the first break
    > I'd seen him in all Tour, and he made it count... that was a really, really
    > impressive attack, everyone fought to counter him and he just rode away.

    Hmm, almost. Mengin, with the others on his tail, basically caught him but
    wanted someone else to pull in the last few meters. When noone could be
    bothered, AG got away again.

    --
    Stig Are M. Botterli
    [email protected]

  5. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

    "Stig Are M. Botterli" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On 2004-07-18, Sonarrat <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > in article [email protected], Richard Adams at
    > > [email protected] wrote on 7/18/04 8:09 AM:
    > >
    > >> So Aitor Gonzalez is a big disappointment to Fassa Bortolo?
    > >>
    > >> Hm. This Sunday seems to be his day of redemption.

    > > It was beautiful.. just when all seemed to be lost. It was the first

    break
    > > I'd seen him in all Tour, and he made it count... that was a really,

    really
    > > impressive attack, everyone fought to counter him and he just rode away.

    > Hmm, almost. Mengin, with the others on his tail, basically caught him but
    > wanted someone else to pull in the last few meters. When noone could be
    > bothered, AG got away again.

    Ah, but Aitor was riding so hard that "basically catching him" wasn't good
    enough. Even when Lotz sprinted around Mengin to try and close the gap, he
    couldn't, and it was still a small gap. I think Aitor showed he was the
    strongest today.

    Jeff

  6. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Richard Adams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > So Aitor Gonzalez is a big disappointment to Fassa Bortolo?
    >
    > Hm. This Sunday seems to be his day of redemption.

    Not much though. Come on man, this is the day after Basso has 2 big days in
    the mountains. Fassa should have dumped Aitor with the same words they used
    for Basso's departure.

  7. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Jeff Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Stig Are M. Botterli" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > On 2004-07-18, Sonarrat <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > > in article [email protected], Richard Adams at

    > > > It was beautiful.. just when all seemed to be lost. It was the first

    > break
    > > > I'd seen him in all Tour, and he made it count... that was a really,

    > really
    > > > impressive attack, everyone fought to counter him and he just rode

    away.

    > > Hmm, almost. Mengin, with the others on his tail, basically caught him

    but
    > > wanted someone else to pull in the last few meters. When noone could be
    > > bothered, AG got away again.
    > >

    > Ah, but Aitor was riding so hard that "basically catching him" wasn't good
    > enough. Even when Lotz sprinted around Mengin to try and close the gap, he
    > couldn't, and it was still a small gap. I think Aitor showed he was the
    > strongest today.

    "...of the breakaway riders".

    > Jeff

  8. Keith

    Keith Guest

    >> Hm. This Sunday seems to be his day of redemption.
    >
    >Not much though. Come on man, this is the day after Basso has 2 big days in
    >the mountains. Fassa should have dumped Aitor with the same words they used
    >for Basso's departure.

    Which were?

  9. Keith wrote:
    >>>Hm. This Sunday seems to be his day of redemption.

    >>Not much though. Come on man, this is the day after Basso has 2 big days in
    >>the mountains. Fassa should have dumped Aitor with the same words they used
    >>for Basso's departure.
    >>

    > Which were?

    I think they were something to the effect of "we don't need no stinking
    stage race GC contenders, we got Petacchi and he's all we care about in
    a tour."

  10. Richard Adams <[email protected]> writes:

    > So Aitor Gonzalez is a big disappointment to Fassa Bortolo?
    >
    > Hm. This Sunday seems to be his day of redemption.

    Great win, but a complete tactical meltdown on the part of Eusk/Eusk.

    -Gerard

  11. Ed Sullivan

    Ed Sullivan Guest

    Gerard Lanois <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Richard Adams <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    > > So Aitor Gonzalez is a big disappointment to Fassa Bortolo?
    > >
    > > Hm. This Sunday seems to be his day of redemption.

    > Great win, but a complete tactical meltdown on the part of Eusk/Eusk.

    Or the E/E boys were just to damn tired, which is the way it looked to
    me. To have tactics, you have to have the legs.

  12. [email protected] (Ed Sullivan) writes:

    > Gerard Lanois <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Richard Adams <[email protected]> writes:
    > >
    > > > So Aitor Gonzalez is a big disappointment to Fassa Bortolo?
    > > >
    > > > Hm. This Sunday seems to be his day of redemption.

    > > Great win, but a complete tactical meltdown on the part of Eusk/Eusk.
    > >

    > Or the E/E boys were just to damn tired, which is the way it looked to
    > me. To have tactics, you have to have the legs.

    Right. They looked to me to be cooked too.

  13. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Keith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > >> Hm. This Sunday seems to be his day of redemption.

    > >Not much though. Come on man, this is the day after Basso has 2 big days

    in
    > >the mountains. Fassa should have dumped Aitor with the same words they

    used
    > >for Basso's departure.
    > >

    > Which were?

    "He is paid too much money to not win races".

  14. Sonarrat

    Sonarrat Guest

    "Stig Are M. Botterli" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 2004-07-18, Sonarrat <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > in article [email protected], Richard Adams at
    > > [email protected] wrote on 7/18/04 8:09 AM:
    > >
    > >> So Aitor Gonzalez is a big disappointment to Fassa Bortolo?
    > >>
    > >> Hm. This Sunday seems to be his day of redemption.

    > > It was beautiful.. just when all seemed to be lost. It was the first break
    > > I'd seen him in all Tour, and he made it count... that was a really, really
    > > impressive attack, everyone fought to counter him and he just rode away.

    > Hmm, almost. Mengin, with the others on his tail, basically caught him but
    > wanted someone else to pull in the last few meters. When noone could be
    > bothered, AG got away again.

    But a lesser rider would have given up upon seeing he wasn't getting a
    gap. In fact, seeing someone closing down on you like that, most
    riders get discouraged and then go OTB...

    -Sonarrat.

  15. K. J. Papai

    K. J. Papai Guest

    "Jeff Jones" <[email protected]>...

    > Ah, but Aitor was riding so hard that "basically catching him" wasn't good
    > enough. Even when Lotz sprinted around Mengin to try and close the gap, he
    > couldn't, and it was still a small gap. I think Aitor showed he was the
    > strongest today.

    Which means he'll be the Vuelta favorite this year?

  16. "Jeff Jones" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Stig Are M. Botterli" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > On 2004-07-18, Sonarrat <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > > in article [email protected], Richard Adams at

    > > > It was beautiful.. just when all seemed to be lost. It was the first

    > break
    > > > I'd seen him in all Tour, and he made it count... that was a really,

    > really
    > > > impressive attack, everyone fought to counter him and he just rode away.

    > > Hmm, almost. Mengin, with the others on his tail, basically caught him but
    > > wanted someone else to pull in the last few meters. When noone could be
    > > bothered, AG got away again.
    > >

    > Ah, but Aitor was riding so hard that "basically catching him" wasn't good
    > enough. Even when Lotz sprinted around Mengin to try and close the gap, he
    > couldn't, and it was still a small gap. I think Aitor showed he was the
    > strongest today.
    >
    > Jeff

    Yeah, but Lotz blew it the first time they almost caught him. Mengin
    got them within 10 meters, but Lotz wouldn't finish it off and Mengin
    sat up. Lotz realized he screwed up and went again the second time they
    got close, but couldn't pull that off either. Mengin must have been
    pissed...