NEWSFLASH! 4WDs most dangerous on roads

LotteBum

New Member
Nov 2, 2004
1,138
The author of this particular article has issues: "Mr Scruby, who drives a Subaru Outback". It's a 2.5 Litre, 4 cylinder, 1,960kg vehicle which hardly compares to the kind of 4WDs he's referring to (4.1 Litre, 6 cylinder, 3,180kg Landcruisers). Anyway, have a read:

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,15755873-421,00.html

June 28, 2005
FOUR-wheel drive owners will often tell you they chose their vehicles for safety reasons but a new study has found they are the most dangerous cars on the road.

4WDs are far more likely than conventional vehicles to kill or maim other road users, the Monash University study found.

But Pedestrian Council of Australia chairman Harold Scruby reckons it has less to do with safety and more to do with compensating for anatomical deficiencies.

"There's a Freudian factor; certain people have to buy these large cars because they're missing elsewhere," Mr Scruby said today.

"The majority of drivers see (4WD owners) as aggressive and arrogant – it's a certain type of person who has to have one of these vehicles and sit above everyone else."

Mr Scruby today called for the removal of tariff reductions for 4WDs as a study showed what many already suspected – that 4WDs are the most dangerous cars on the road.

Mr Scruby, who drives a Subaru Outback, said it was hard to tell to what degree the people driving 4WDs were responsible for the high injury rates, and how much was due to the physical nature of 4WDs. It was not really possible to improve safety for the occupants of one vehicle in a crash without compromising safety for the occupants of the other, he said.

Mr Scruby called on the Federal Government to scrap tariff reductions on 4WD vehicles and to apply lower tariffs to safer vehicles.

People who genuinely needed 4WDs, such as those in remote areas, could be exempted from increased tariffs, he said.

But elsewhere 4WDs should be "taxed off the road".

"I don't think people in Mosman and Toorak should be getting these vehicles at 5-per-cent tax when a Corolla is taxed at 10 per cent," Mr Scruby said.

He also took aim at young drivers in regional areas who drove souped-up utes often adorned with bullbars, aerials and stickers.

"In the bush every young driver wants to drive a Holden ute with a bullbar," he said.

"It's a testosterone thing, it's all about 'mine is bigger than yours.'"

NRMA vehicle policy expert Jack Haley said the high rate of injuries caused by 4WDs was due to the type of vehicle involved, not the behaviour of 4WD drivers. The same tariffs should be applied to all cars, Mr Haley said.

Im shocked!!!

what an amazing study :rolleyes:

"FOUR-wheel drive owners will often tell you they chose their vehicles for safety reasons but a new study has found they are the most dangerous cars on the road."

well, they are fine in their little fortresses. i doubt they buy em for others' safety! No, honest!

shoulders (ouch, other shoulder...) anti-4WD-rocketlauncher

perhaps the argument could be that they should be slugged more TAC/whatever levy seeing as they cause more damage (when in a collision, i aint touching the 'more accidents/more dangerous bit) to others and therefore cost society more medical/etc costs due to their choice of vehicle to drive johnny/jane to soccer

F"preachin to the converted"Dutch

LotteBum <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> The author of this particular article has issues: "Mr Scruby, who
> drives a Subaru Outback". It's a 2.5 Litre, 4 cylinder, 1,960kg
> vehicle which hardly compares to the kind of 4WDs he's referring to
> (4.1 Litre, 6 cylinder, 3,180kg Landcruisers). Anyway, have a read:

Just a short warning, no one takes Scruby very seriously except for the
current affair crowd and only then because they can guarantee
controversy.

This is the same idiot that campaigns against bikes on footpaths or on
bike paths. He has campaigned to have certain bike paths declared
shared paths and then campaigned against bikes on shared paths. He is a
complete prat with absolutely no background or knowledge of road safety.
His "council" is his own invention and mostly appeals to those with
walking frames (he doesn't like r*nners either).

Oops, a not so short warning. I'd rate him right up there with the
Roger Brattons of the world.

Cheers

BrettM

I'm going utilise an expression I'd to hear come back into common speech.

"Der Fred" :D

cfsmtb wrote:

"Der Fred" :D

I hear you sister. Talk about revelation of the f*cking century.

cfsmtb said:
I'm going utilise an expression I'd to hear come back into common speech.

"Der Fred" :D

In my schoolyard it was always "Derrr, Freddy"

now my 6yr old, just cocks an eyebrow and says "Derrr" :rolleyes:

While we're on the subject of big smog-boxes & bad attitudes, check out these 1st class Tools:

BLOODY IDIOTS: Hoons boast of reckless driving
http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,15764979%255E910,00.html
A CONTROVERSIAL Adelaide car club website that shows members doing burn-outs and bragging about their reckless driving acts has angered police and the State Government. The Ragerz Commodore Klub website depicts young drivers defying traffic rules and placing themselves and other South Australian motorists in danger.

pppffffffff. How about a club name change to DipShitz r'Us :D

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 09:03:52 +1000, LotteBum
<[email protected]> wrote in aus.bicycle:

>FOUR-wheel drive owners will often tell you they chose their vehicles
>for safety reasons but a new study has found they are the most
>dangerous cars on the road.

I have never been able to understand why the state government doesn't
encourage smaller cars by making rego free on vehicles under (say)
1500cc and under a certain weight. Then recouping the loss of revenue
by increasing the rego on large 4 wheel drives. Smaller vehicles; less
road maintenance etc

Makes sense to me.

Regards
Prickles

Flying Echidna wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 09:03:52 +1000, LotteBum
> <[email protected]> wrote in aus.bicycle:
>

>>FOUR-wheel drive owners will often tell you they chose their vehicles
>>for safety reasons but a new study has found they are the most
>>dangerous cars on the road.

> I have never been able to understand why the state government doesn't
> encourage smaller cars by making rego free on vehicles under (say)
> 1500cc and under a certain weight. Then recouping the loss of revenue
> by increasing the rego on large 4 wheel drives. Smaller vehicles; less
> road maintenance etc
>
> Makes sense to me.
>

> Regards
> Prickles

Cos then they would have to make motorcycles free.
Seeing as most motorcycles are under 1500 cc and under 500 kilos weight

Or if they based rego on the % of accidents at fault they would have to
make motorcycles free.

Instead of stinging em an extra 50 bucks in order to educate car owners
into looking for motorcycles.

Dave

Flying Echidna said:
On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 09:03:52 +1000, LotteBum
<[email protected]> wrote in aus.bicycle:

>FOUR-wheel drive owners will often tell you they chose their vehicles
>for safety reasons but a new study has found they are the most
>dangerous cars on the road.

I have never been able to understand why the state government doesn't
encourage smaller cars by making rego free on vehicles under (say)
1500cc and under a certain weight. Then recouping the loss of revenue
by increasing the rego on large 4 wheel drives. Smaller vehicles; less
road maintenance etc

Makes sense to me.

Regards
Prickles

They kind of do by default, bigger less fuel efficient vehicles use more petrol (and therefore pay more taxes).

The age was talking about the effect of petrol price rises on the average $150 a month family petrol bill. Sheesh, I ***** when I have to buy petrol once a month.

PiledHigher wrote:

> Flying Echidna Wrote:
> > On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 09:03:52 +1000, LotteBum
> > <[email protected]> wrote in aus.bicycle:
> >
> > >FOUR-wheel drive owners will often tell you they chose their vehicles
> > >for safety reasons but a new study has found they are the most
> > >dangerous cars on the road.

> > I have never been able to understand why the state government doesn't
> > encourage smaller cars by making rego free on vehicles under (say)
> > 1500cc and under a certain weight. Then recouping the loss of revenue
> > by increasing the rego on large 4 wheel drives. Smaller vehicles; less
> > road maintenance etc
> >
> > Makes sense to me.
> >

> > Regards
> > Prickles

> They kind of do by default, bigger less fuel efficient vehicles use
> more petrol (and therefore pay more taxes).
>
> The age was talking about the effect of petrol price rises on the
> average $150 a month family petrol bill. Sheesh, I ***** when I have to
> buy petrol once a month.
>
> --
> PiledHigher

I only ***** when I have to buy petrol more than once a month. The other
day my mum criticised my male friends who don't have cars, saying they
were all dependent on me for getting to races, etc. Which isn't true,
because if I'm not around, they just use public transport and their
bikes. She's always hassling me to drive, "You have a car, why not use
it?" It's very infuriating.

Tam, the only cyclist out on Logan Rd in the pouring rain on Monday
night...

Tamyka Bell said:
PiledHigher wrote:

> Flying Echidna Wrote:
> > On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 09:03:52 +1000, LotteBum
> > <[email protected]> wrote in aus.bicycle:
> >
> > >FOUR-wheel drive owners will often tell you they chose their vehicles
> > >for safety reasons but a new study has found they are the most
> > >dangerous cars on the road.

> > I have never been able to understand why the state government doesn't
> > encourage smaller cars by making rego free on vehicles under (say)
> > 1500cc and under a certain weight. Then recouping the loss of revenue
> > by increasing the rego on large 4 wheel drives. Smaller vehicles; less
> > road maintenance etc
> >
> > Makes sense to me.
> >

> > Regards
> > Prickles

> They kind of do by default, bigger less fuel efficient vehicles use
> more petrol (and therefore pay more taxes).
>
> The age was talking about the effect of petrol price rises on the
> average $150 a month family petrol bill. Sheesh, I ***** when I have to
> buy petrol once a month.
>
> --
> PiledHigher

I only ***** when I have to buy petrol more than once a month. The other
day my mum criticised my male friends who don't have cars, saying they
were all dependent on me for getting to races, etc. Which isn't true,
because if I'm not around, they just use public transport and their
bikes. She's always hassling me to drive, "You have a car, why not use
it?" It's very infuriating.

Tam, the only cyclist out on Logan Rd in the pouring rain on Monday
night...

Non-cycling parents will stop stressing about cycling eventually (after about 10 years!)

Flying Echidna wrote:

> I have never been able to understand why the state government doesn't
> encourage smaller cars by making rego free on vehicles under (say)
> 1500cc and under a certain weight. Then recouping the loss of revenue
> by increasing the rego on large 4 wheel drives. Smaller vehicles; less
> road maintenance etc
>
> Makes sense to me.

WA rego charges are $13.93 per hundred kg of vehicle weight. This formula
includes motor cycles. This is not the majority of what you pay when you pay
rego however. My motorcycle costs $41.83 for the annual rego but other items
on the bill bring it up to $200.
A 3000 kg Land-Crusher will pay $417.90 plus all the extras bringing the
total to $706.

Makes sense to me.

Theo

Theo Bekkers wrote:
> Flying Echidna wrote:
>

>>I have never been able to understand why the state government doesn't
>>encourage smaller cars by making rego free on vehicles under (say)
>>1500cc and under a certain weight. Then recouping the loss of revenue
>>by increasing the rego on large 4 wheel drives. Smaller vehicles; less
>>road maintenance etc
>>
>>Makes sense to me.

> WA rego charges are $13.93 per hundred kg of vehicle weight. This formula
> includes motor cycles. This is not the majority of what you pay when you pay
> rego however. My motorcycle costs $41.83 for the annual rego but other items
> on the bill bring it up to $200.
> A 3000 kg Land-Crusher will pay $417.90 plus all the extras bringing the
> total to $706.
>
> Makes sense to me.
>
> Theo

My motorcycle cost $470 so you will perhaps forgive my envy.
Here in the 4wd state we have to subsidise their accidents

Theo Bekkers wrote:
> Flying Echidna wrote:
>

>>I have never been able to understand why the state government doesn't
>>encourage smaller cars by making rego free on vehicles under (say)
>>1500cc and under a certain weight. Then recouping the loss of revenue
>>by increasing the rego on large 4 wheel drives. Smaller vehicles; less
>>road maintenance etc
>>
>>Makes sense to me.

> WA rego charges are $13.93 per hundred kg of vehicle weight. This formula
> includes motor cycles. This is not the majority of what you pay when you pay
> rego however. My motorcycle costs $41.83 for the annual rego but other items
> on the bill bring it up to $200.
> A 3000 kg Land-Crusher will pay $417.90 plus all the extras bringing the
> total to $706.
>
> Makes sense to me.
>
> Theo

My motorbike costs $215.20 ($141.90 being insurance including gst)
My two bikes cost nothing to register, and I like that, oh yes.
Steven

Gumby said:
Theo Bekkers wrote:
> Flying Echidna wrote:
>

>>I have never been able to understand why the state government doesn't
>>encourage smaller cars by making rego free on vehicles under (say)
>>1500cc and under a certain weight. Then recouping the loss of revenue
>>by increasing the rego on large 4 wheel drives. Smaller vehicles; less
>>road maintenance etc
>>
>>Makes sense to me.

> WA rego charges are $13.93 per hundred kg of vehicle weight. This formula
> includes motor cycles. This is not the majority of what you pay when you pay
> rego however. My motorcycle costs $41.83 for the annual rego but other items
> on the bill bring it up to $200.
> A 3000 kg Land-Crusher will pay $417.90 plus all the extras bringing the
> total to $706.
>
> Makes sense to me.
>
> Theo

My motorbike costs $215.20 ($141.90 being insurance including gst)
My two bikes cost nothing to register, and I like that, oh yes.
Steven

I wish that they would enforce some of the 2000kg load limits on roads that are around (like lakeside drive, albert park). See 4WD and delivery vans that shouldn't be there every time I go down there.

dave wrote:

> Theo Bekkers wrote:
> > Flying Echidna wrote:
> >

> >>I have never been able to understand why the state government doesn't
> >>encourage smaller cars by making rego free on vehicles under (say)
> >>1500cc and under a certain weight. Then recouping the loss of revenue
> >>by increasing the rego on large 4 wheel drives. Smaller vehicles; less
> >>road maintenance etc
> >>
> >>Makes sense to me.

> > WA rego charges are $13.93 per hundred kg of vehicle weight. This formula
> > includes motor cycles. This is not the majority of what you pay when you pay
> > rego however. My motorcycle costs $41.83 for the annual rego but other items
> > on the bill bring it up to $200.
> > A 3000 kg Land-Crusher will pay $417.90 plus all the extras bringing the
> > total to $706.
> >
> > Makes sense to me.
> >
> > Theo
> >

> My motorcycle cost $470 so you will perhaps forgive my envy.
> Here in the 4wd state we have to subsidise their accidents

My small car was $550. And I drive it one day a week. I am tempted to
sell it and fly to Europe with my trusty Dozer.

Tam

PiledHigher wrote:

> Tamyka Bell Wrote:
> > PiledHigher wrote:

> > aus.bicycle:

> > vehicles

> > doesn't

> > (say)

> > revenue

> > less

> > > They kind of do by default, bigger less fuel efficient vehicles use
> > > more petrol (and therefore pay more taxes).
> > >
> > > The age was talking about the effect of petrol price rises on the
> > > average $150 a month family petrol bill. Sheesh, I ***** when I have

> > > buy petrol once a month.
> > >
> > > --
> > > PiledHigher

> > I only ***** when I have to buy petrol more than once a month. The
> > other
> > day my mum criticised my male friends who don't have cars, saying they
> > were all dependent on me for getting to races, etc. Which isn't true,
> > because if I'm not around, they just use public transport and their
> > bikes. She's always hassling me to drive, "You have a car, why not use
> > it?" It's very infuriating.
> >
> > Tam, the only cyclist out on Logan Rd in the pouring rain on Monday
> > night...

> Non-cycling parents will stop stressing about cycling eventually (after
> about 10 years!)
>
> --
> PiledHigher

I just give her other things to worry about, like going out all night
and not coming home until 10 am. Then she doesn't complain about
cycling.

Tam

Tamyka Bell wrote:
> dave wrote:
>
>>Theo Bekkers wrote:

>>>WA rego charges are $13.93 per hundred kg of vehicle weight. This formula
>>>includes motor cycles. This is not the majority of what you pay when you pay
>>>rego however. My motorcycle costs $41.83 for the annual rego but other items
>>>on the bill bring it up to $200.
>>>A 3000 kg Land-Crusher will pay $417.90 plus all the extras bringing the
>>>total to $706.
>>>
>>>Makes sense to me.
>>>
>>>Theo
>>>

>>My motorcycle cost $470 so you will perhaps forgive my envy.
>>Here in the 4wd state we have to subsidise their accidents

> My small car was $550. And I drive it one day a week. I am tempted to
> sell it and fly to Europe with my trusty Dozer.
>
> Tam

Ummm you should get a motorcycle Tam.