Newsflash : Bombs in London

Discussion in 'Your Bloody Soap Box' started by darkboong, Jul 7, 2005.

1. darkboong

darkboong New Member

Who on the street would know exactly ? Chief Commissioner of Police has refused to comment so far. By contrast Tony Blair has used the incident to promote his stance on "Terrorism" and "Extremism". Some bunch of loonies that no one has heard of has claimed responsibility in the name of Al Queda.

It will be a long time before a criminal investigation is able to ferret out the folks behind the attack. I have no doubt that various politcians will heap the blame at the feet of their preferred whipping boy, as Tony Blair and George Bush already have done. So far Ken Livingston and the Chief Commissioner of Police are the only folks who have been able to make a statement on the matter without pushing a crackpot authoritarian wet dream. Credit due to them both.

By and large I've been impressed of how folks reacted on the ground, but the real test is the aftermath. My concern is that there will be more attacks in the near future, because they don't seem to have had enough time to root out further devices. Fingers crossed. :(

2. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

You are correct Dark.

I happened to stray in to Fox "News" on TV, and within one hour of the attacks they were blaming Al Qaeda and making bold statements, which were frankly offensive both to London/British people, the British Police, the British Gov.

Until a full investigation is conducted : no one should speculate as to who was
    responsible for the attacks in London.

3. Induray

Induray New Member

Most of what I heard on the news is speculation of one of three possible attackers
    1. Al-Qaeda
    2. IRA
    3. G8 Anarchists
    But no specific knowledge who did it.

4. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

A tragedy for which there is no comfort in blaming one party or another at this point.
    Our kindest and most sympathetic thoughts for those that have suffered and lost.

You cannot reason someone out of a position they did not reason themself into.

5. davebee

davebee New Member

I work on the outskirts of London and start early so fortunately I was not affected by this attack and thankfully neither were any of my family members. (although my auntie will be working quite late tonight as she works for the MOD anti-terrorism unit) My thoughts go out to anyone affected by this. London will pull through and I expect the infrastructure will largely be back to normal by the end of the weekend, possibly bar a few gaps on the underground network.

6. zapper

zapper Banned

First of all my prayers go out to the victims and their families in London. However, now is not the time to stir up a load of hooey about it...I do not understand why no matter what the situation is there are those that are looking for a reason to either blame the American Administration/Military, citizens or news organization...Today, let's put all that aside and concentrate of helping our fellow man...

Al-Qaeda behind London blasts, say Arab sources - BBC
    07.07.2005, 08:16 AM

LONDON (AFX) - Arab sources have told the BBC that the multiple attacks on London's transport system today were the work of the al-Qaeda terrorist network, the radio and TV station said.

It said security correspondent Frank Gardener, who is usually well informed, had been given the information by 'Arab sources.'

A number of British security and anti-terror experts have also spoken of a 'co-ordinated attack' that bore the hallmark of terrorism..... :confused:

7. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

........that's why I said until a full investigation is conducted : no one should speculate as to who was responsible for the attacks in London.

8. davidmc

davidmc New Member

LONDON - The U.N. Security Council, in an emergency meeting, condemned “without reservation” the terror attack in London Thursday and urged nations to prosecute perpetrators of such “barbaric acts.” Condolences poured in from around the world as major cities bolstered security.

In a resolution adopted by a 15-0 vote at an emergency meeting, the council expressed condolences to the victims of the bomb blasts on subway trains and an explosion that blew the roof off a double-decker bus killing dozens and wounding hundreds.

The Security Council “condemns without reservation the terrorist attacks in London on July 7, 2005 and regards any act of terrorism as a threat to peace and security,” said the resolution, drafted by Britain. It urged all nations “to cooperate actively in efforts to find and bring to justice the perpetrators, organizers and sponsors of these barbaric acts.”

9. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

All civilised people condemn those attacks in London

As all civilised people everywhere condemn the murder of innocent people
    everywhere in the world today.

10. p38lightning

p38lightning New Member

Quite so, and further look with admiration on the conduct of the British people in this time of crisis. The coolheaded reserve with which citizens reacted and supported each other is a model of civil order. The reaction of medical, rescue, and police personnel in coordinated rapid effectiveness, points the way to the rest of the civilized world.

Once again those who perservered in the worst of "The Blitz" and their decendents, have survived and will go on.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

11. darkboong

darkboong New Member

I agree about the stirring up hooey sentiment, I'd rather that reporters and talking heads kept their opinions to themselves until the investigation is well underway. Like it or not such opinions have a nasty habit of prejudicing criminal investigation.

He probably picked that up from the website of the hitherto unheard of bunch of loons who claimed responsibility. A similar thing happened with the Madrid bombings, subsequent investigations revealed that it was an entirely different bunch of loons who did not have any direct connection with "Al Queda".

No wonder you are confused. Blowing up civillians with bombs is an act of terrorism by definition, *whoever* does it. The "Experts" I've seen pushing that line appear to be professional talking heads. Tony Blair included.