Newton St update (off High Holborn, Central London)

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Shuggie, Feb 3, 2005.

  1. Shuggie

    Shuggie Guest

    A few months back we discussed the contra flow cycle lane in Newton St.
    It petered out after about 15 metres, leaving cyclists riding the wrong
    way down the one way street.

    This week, Newton St is being resurfaced and bollards are being
    installed, which suggests that the cycle lane will be extended, to
    connect with the remainder of the north-south route through Covent
    Garden.

    Cheers, James

    Tags:

  2. Shuggie wrote:

    > A few months back we discussed the contra flow cycle lane in Newton St.
    > It petered out after about 15 metres, leaving cyclists riding the wrong
    > way down the one way street.
    >
    > This week, Newton St is being resurfaced and bollards are being
    > installed, which suggests that the cycle lane will be extended, to
    > connect with the remainder of the north-south route through Covent
    > Garden.

    How much traffic uses the road? How fast are 85th percentile speeds?
    If both are low, a full-length contraflow lane is a waste of money.
    You just need protection at the ends and enough signs to let everyone
    know that contraflow cycling is legal.

    See Traffic Advisory Leaflet (DfT) 06/98.

    Colin McKenzie

  3. Shuggie

    Shuggie Guest

    I think that is what they are doing. A bollard where the one way
    section starts at the southern end, and another at the top of the
    street, and presumably a painted line in between, but it is hard to be
    sure while the street is being resurfaced.

    I imagine they expect quite intensive use of this north-south route
    through London. I mean, they installed right turn traffic lights from
    the High Holborn contraflow, to enable turns across the traffic into
    the north end of Newton St, so it aint been cheap so far.